Name your #1 Album for Spatial Audio Speaker Burn-in

DBT AUDIO

Greetings all,

I have a new pair of X5s due to arrive, hopefully, next week.  These will replace my current X5s.  I have thousands of albums at my fingertips to use for speaker burn-in, but I'm trying to think of one album that would give each driver a true work out from top to bottom of the frequency range?

Can you name just one (1) album, to the best of your knowledge, that you feel is the best for burning in the AMT tweeter, midrange and bass woofer?  I'm just curious if you guys narrowed down "a" best album to burn-in your Spatial Audio speakers?

Thanks in advance!

2Bad

Re: Name your #1 Album for Spatial Audio Speaker Burn-in
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2022, 09:34 pm »
Greetings all,

I have a new pair of X5s due to arrive, hopefully, next week.  These will replace my current X5s.  I have thousands of albums at my fingertips to use for speaker burn-in, but I'm trying to think of one album that would give each driver a true work out from top to bottom of the frequency range?

Can you name just one (1) album, to the best of your knowledge, that you feel is the best for burning in the AMT tweeter, midrange and bass woofer?  I'm just curious if you guys narrowed down "a" best album to burn-in your Spatial Audio speakers?

Thanks in advance!

I'm curious as to why you are replacing your original X5s ???

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2022, 10:38 pm »
I'm curious as to why you are replacing your original X5s ???
I found a new home for my current X5s and I was able to get the 500 watt amp and automotive black paint upgrade I wanted with my originals.  I understand the latest X5s have VDAM caps as well and a resistor on the AMT tweeter. 

2Bad

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2022, 11:25 pm »
I found a new home for my current X5s and I was able to get the 500 watt amp and automotive black paint upgrade I wanted with my originals.  I understand the latest X5s have VDAM caps as well and a resistor on the AMT tweeter.

Thanks... appreciate the quick update.  :thumb:

Jan_Mc

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2022, 04:27 am »
For me it is B-Tribe - Sensual Sensual.  It has all frequencies covered.  And if I am in the room I love listening to them.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2022, 04:50 am »
Any speaker for me -  Close To The Edge. Put 'Siberian Khatru' on repeat......

oskar

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2022, 04:06 pm »
If you like Beck try THE INFORMATION.
I had It on once and during a quiet passage I saw my woofers pulsing like never before. But I couldn't hear anything.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2022, 08:37 am »
For me it is B-Tribe - Sensual Sensual.  It has all frequencies covered.  And if I am in the room I love listening to them.
I have that album and totally forgot about it.  I will add this to the playlist.  Thanks

If you like Beck try THE INFORMATION.
I had It on once and during a quiet passage I saw my woofers pulsing like never before. But I couldn't hear anything.
Someone else mentioned Beck to me as well.  I’ll check it out.  Thanks

Any speaker for me -  Close To The Edge. Put 'Siberian Khatru' on repeat......
I will check it out.  Thanks

Mr. Big

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2022, 01:13 pm »
For Duke, Fatha, The Harry James Sheffield Labs sessions.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2022, 05:04 am »
For Duke, Fatha, The Harry James Sheffield Labs sessions.
Fatha is nice!  I couldn't find For Duke and The Harry James Sheffield Labs Sessions on Qobuz. Thank you

Mr. Big

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2022, 02:40 pm »
Fatha is nice!  I couldn't find For Duke and The Harry James Sheffield Labs Sessions on Qobuz. Thank you

Sorry, you cannot find those recordings from streaming services, I am not surprised which are why I own 1,500 CD, many not on vinyl nor streaming, and they all sound terrific. In reality, I now have more music than I can listen to in my lifetime, some sets our double, triple, CD sets. Hope someday the buyers of those sites will offer them to their customers. My Marantz SA10 SACD player has its own superb DAC function so if I ever wanted to stream I could easily, but I won't, because of no need to, and sound-wise I like CD better in several comparisons I have tried with my local dealer, of course, the salesman comes back at the hipness and convince to just download from home. Well, I read CD buying to starting up again and I think for a good reason, cost and sound quality they beat up for 10 years now by the manufacturing marking magazines TAS and Stereophile, etc. Systems they call state of the art in the CD era using CD as the main source now they say they sucked so I guess they lied back then or they could not hear...LOL! Of course, if you noticed they all say how bad CD sounded when they 1st came out, well so did vinyl records and recording quality in 1920, the 1930s, and then by the 1950s the technology was perfected, well same for the CD in 1981 till 2022. Boy, where did the time go? LOL.   I grew up on vinyl and tube gear, I own neither now. Loved them both.

https://www.discogs.com/label/177183-M-K-RealTime-Records
http://sheffieldlab.com/item.php?item_id=49
https://www.amazon.com/Harry-James-His-Big-Band/dp/B00008FRB2

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2022, 02:44 am »
Sorry, you cannot find those recordings from streaming services, I am not surprised which are why I own 1,500 CD, many not on vinyl nor streaming, and they all sound terrific.
You have my wheels spinning a little bit concerning CD players.  I sold mine in 2008 and went 100% computer Audiophile.  I know vinyl has made a comeback, but I’m not interested.  However, I would possibly buy another CD player.  The SACD movement didn’t attract the masses compared to standard cd’s.  I would like to buy SACD’s, but cd’s have not been as plentiful on Amazon over the past few years, so I imagine trying to find SACD’s would be even harder.

Thanks for the links to the albums!

Mr. Big

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2022, 12:18 pm »
You have my wheels spinning a little bit concerning CD players.  I sold mine in 2008 and went 100% computer Audiophile.  I know vinyl has made a comeback, but I’m not interested.  However, I would possibly buy another CD player.  The SACD movement didn’t attract the masses compared to standard cd’s.  I would like to buy SACD’s, but cd’s have not been as plentiful on Amazon over the past few years, so I imagine trying to find SACD’s would be even harder.

Thanks for the links to the albums!

CD buying is making a comeback by all accounts and still were selling as well as vinyl though vinyl because of what they charge for an LP made for higher sales money wise. Streaming is king and a lot has to do with a younger generation who grew up with streaming being an option much like us boomers when 45's and LPs were the media. SACD's are still sold on Amazon and audiophile sites, but owning them, a red-book CD done right sounds as good, and the fact is 99.5% of the public cares little for MQA or SACD which is why neither took off. No support from the consumers in general. Plus MQA meant the rest of us would have to upgrade our equipment to get that support for the format that was going nowhere and like SACD a niche market. Much like 4K UHD DVD discs, not enough people care about another niche small market. The fact is people don't own anymore they rent/stream them nowadays, much like music, they buy the song they like, not the whole album as much. I see Amazon streaming service has really taken off and quickly.

CD players like the Marantz SA10 are so flexible, CD, SACD, USB, Coaxial, iPhone can all be used with the superb DAC that this unit has, no oversampling filters, so all music goes out direct and at DSD!

Good read. Look at the info in each section of its design features. This unit replaced my Esoteric K-01 SACD player which was a 20K unit.

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/cd-players/sa-10

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2022, 04:00 pm »
CD buying is making a comeback by all accounts and still were selling as well as vinyl though vinyl because of what they charge for an LP made for higher sales money wise. Streaming is king and a lot has to do with a younger generation who grew up with streaming being an option much like us boomers when 45's and LPs were the media. SACD's are still sold on Amazon and audiophile sites, but owning them, a red-book CD done right sounds as good, and the fact is 99.5% of the public cares little for MQA or SACD which is why neither took off. No support from the consumers in general. Plus MQA meant the rest of us would have to upgrade our equipment to get that support for the format that was going nowhere and like SACD a niche market. Much like 4K UHD DVD discs, not enough people care about another niche small market. The fact is people don't own anymore they rent/stream them nowadays, much like music, they buy the song they like, not the whole album as much. I see Amazon streaming service has really taken off and quickly.

CD players like the Marantz SA10 are so flexible, CD, SACD, USB, Coaxial, iPhone can all be used with the superb DAC that this unit has, no oversampling filters, so all music goes out direct and at DSD!

Good read. Look at the info in each section of its design features. This unit replaced my Esoteric K-01 SACD player which was a 20K unit.

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/cd-players/sa-10
You make excellent points to many things that I have already concluded to be true.  I was looking at the Marantz 30N SACD player last night.  So, do you have the SA-10?  I’m confident it is nice, but I’m too committed to my current setup at this point to spend that kind of cash if I were to buy a CD player.

Mr. Big

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2022, 11:30 pm »
You make excellent points to many things that I have already concluded to be true.  I was looking at the Marantz 30N SACD player last night.  So, do you have the SA-10?  I’m confident it is nice, but I’m too committed to my current setup at this point to spend that kind of cash if I were to buy a CD player.

The Marantz is not just a CD player it is that and more in fact any type of source you want to use, but the key is that wonderful Music Engine design for processing from any source. 

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2022, 12:19 am »
The Marantz is not just a CD player it is that and more in fact any type of source you want to use, but the key is that wonderful Music Engine design for processing from any source.
I understand it can be used as a DAC for external sources.  I really like the external DAC and streamer that I currently have, so the Marantz SACD player might be overkill for me at this time.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2022, 12:36 am »
I have the Modwright Pioneer LX500 which is incredible sounding after Dan did his magic. I recently got the SA10 for a second system I’m putting together. They have come down in price and got a nice deal from my dealer. The SA10 is very solid but I can’t say it outperforms Dans LX.
Anyway, Back to the thread.. I play everything vinyl, cds and Audrivana my latest love is an artist from Canada, Dominique Fils-Amie, very much in the vein of Billie Holiday/Sade the recordings are impressive. An audiophile friend turned me on to her.

undertowogt1

« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2022, 03:21 pm »
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2022, 04:05 pm »
I have the Modwright Pioneer LX500 which is incredible sounding after Dan did his magic. I recently got the SA10 for a second system I’m putting together. They have come down in price and got a nice deal from my dealer. The SA10 is very solid but I can’t say it outperforms Dans LX.
Anyway, Back to the thread.. I play everything vinyl, cds and Audrivana my latest love is an artist from Canada, Dominique Fils-Amie, very much in the vein of Billie Holiday/Sade the recordings are impressive. An audiophile friend turned me on to her.
I like the tune “Birds” by Dominique Fils-Amié.  Thanks!
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Massive Attack should have some killer bass!  Thanks