Rega and record clamp

Adinoto

Rega and record clamp
« on: 2 Apr 2005, 02:50 am »
Hi,
I just got my JA Michell record clamp to flaten wraped/dished record. Anyone know how to use this in Rega P3? The spindel is to short so it can't really hold the record. :cry:

Maybe I should use a thinner matt? what matt is thinner than standart Rega matt?

Thanks

Upstateaudio

Rega and record clamp
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2005, 03:31 am »
IMHO a clamp does not improve sound on  a  Rega.

Adinoto

Clamp
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2005, 04:57 am »
It might not improve the sound :( . But my purpose is to flatten the record.. I have a lot of used record, some of them is warped/dished...

thanks

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
Rega and record clamp
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2005, 03:54 pm »
Ditch the clamp and get a rubber type that grips the spindle or use a weight with a hole in the center. Note that a clamp will only really fix centered warps on one side of the Lp. When you flip the album, the other sides center is already flat against the platter. It will help some records slightly, but with many it is just another frustration.  I don't have any issues with slightly warped records when played on my P3. I don't keep badly warped records at all however.
-Bill

audiochef

clamp for rega
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2005, 04:03 am »
Adinoto,

a weight with a hole in the center , is the way to do it. I had the same clamp and returned it for the same reason.

Since I'm using an after market counterweight, the stock weight works great as a clamp . It's not too heavy and effective.

I stuck a rubber sticker pad , the same circumference as the weight and made a hole in the center. You could also use felt. This is slightly heavier than the weight ,but around the same size as the one on my SCD777.
I do notice slightly better focus with some records. And it does a good job flattening.

bacobits1

Rega and record clamp
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2005, 02:22 am »
Even if you got the Michell clamp to hold sooner or later you would snap that spindle.Regas were not made to use clamps. I would look getting the upgrade metal lower platter  set up selling on E Bay. When I had a Rega 3 I used the KAB rubber clamp.

DN