Magneplanar 3.7i vs Spatial Audio Lab Speakers

Fbczar

Magneplanar 3.7i vs Spatial Audio Lab Speakers
« on: 6 Feb 2022, 06:38 pm »
I would appreciate it if any of you can compare any Spatial speakers to Magneplanar 3.7i’s. I am very interested in transparency, and soundstage along with anything you think relevant. Any comment on home theater usage would also be great. Thanks

Daryl Zero

Re: Magneplanar 3.7i vs Spatial Audio Lab Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2022, 06:48 pm »
You may want to check this thread for some thoughts:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179419.0

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2022, 06:49 pm »
They have totally different sounds.  I own the 1.6's and have heard the 3.7's.  I did an in-home comparison to one of the Original Spatial speakers and the sound is night and day.  I and a few of my friends preferred the 1.6's by a wide margin.  More musical, dynamic and much better midrange with a large sound stage.  Now the newer spatials are supposed to be way better than the originals and I have not heard them but plan to.

The 3.7i's are going to more finicky about amps and placement. You are going to need a good high power, high current, high capacitance amp to drive them properly. At least 300 to 500 wpc that doubles at 4 ohms.  They will let you know when your electronics are not up to snuff.  I do not believe that an AVR will work unless you use a separate amp to drive them as front speakers.

With the Spatials, you can get by with much lower powered amps and even tube amps.  Matching a subwoofer to them will probably be easier as well.  You need a very good sealed sub to integrate well with the Maggies.

By the way, Maggies can play very loud without distortion with the right amp.  The amps needs to be able to dip down to 2 ohms.  I can play my 1.6's to ear bleeding levels with my Pass amp, not so with my Parasound A21 due to distortion.  I think that people that say Maggies can't play loud have not had an appropriate SS amp.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2022, 07:36 pm »
They have totally different sounds.  I own the 1.6's and have heard the 3.7's.  I did an in-home comparison to one of the Original Spatial speakers and the sound is night and day.  I and a few of my friends preferred the 1.6's by a wide margin.  More musical, dynamic and much better midrange with a large sound stage.  Now the newer spatials are supposed to be way better than the originals and I have not heard them but plan to.

The 3.7i's are going to more finicky about amps and placement. You are going to need a good high power, high current, high capacitance amp to drive them properly. At least 300 to 500 wpc that doubles at 4 ohms.  They will let you know when your electronics are not up to snuff.  I do not believe that an AVR will work unless you use a separate amp to drive them as front speakers.

With the Spatials, you can get by with much lower powered amps and even tube amps.  Matching a subwoofer to them will probably be easier as well.  You need a very good sealed sub to integrate well with the Maggies.

By the way, Maggies can play very loud without distortion with the right amp.  The amps needs to be able to dip down to 2 ohms.  I can play my 1.6's to ear bleeding levels with my Pass amp, not so with my Parasound A21 due to distortion.  I think that people that say Maggies can't play loud have not had an appropriate SS amp.
As you likely know, and for clarity to the OP, the current generations of Spatial M and X series are significantly improved over what you heard in your comparison, and not by a small margin. There is also little need for subs with newer Spatials except perhaps for HT applications.

OP, DesertPilot has posted very detailed impressions on other threads of his home theater setup with 3 Spatial X series in the front. Great information there if you search a bit. Best of luck.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2022, 08:35 pm »
As you likely know, and for clarity to the OP, the current generations of Spatial M and X series are significantly improved over what you heard in your comparison, and not by a small margin. There is also little need for subs with newer Spatials except perhaps for HT applications.

OP, DesertPilot has posted very detailed impressions on other threads of his home theater setup with 3 Spatial X series in the front. Great information there if you search a bit. Best of luck.

Tom, I totally agree with you.  I am sure the new spatials are a totally different animal then the originals that I heard.  By the way, I am not saying that he should get the 3.7i's over the spatials.  The 3.7's are a great speaker with the proper amps but are totally different than the spatials.  You really need an expensive amp to make Maggies sing and bring out their very dynamic sound and depth.  IMHO, people that think otherwise are wrong and that is why maggies can get a bad reputation.  The spatials are going to be the easier speaker.
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2022, 03:16 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

rooze

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2022, 01:23 am »
I owned Maggie 3.6R’s for several years and Spatial Audio X3’s for several weeks. You mentioned Home Theatre. I’d absolutely recommend Spatial Audio if HT is your thing, particularly something like the X3 with its powered subwoofer. If 2-channel music is your preference, I’d go with Magnepans, assuming you’re willing to invest in amplification that can do them justice. I found Maggies superbly musical in all areas that matter most, particularly their midrange. SA have a real weakness in the upper bass / lower-midrange, that made them hard to enjoy aside from playing a couple dozen well recorded reference tracks, at least that’s what I heard in my room with my equipment and my ears.

RonN5

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:10 am »
My 2 cents worth....at least as far as the M Sapphires go (I haven't heard the Xs)....no issue in the upper midbass/midrange, plenty of detail, plenty of dimension, plenty of slam and an even more alive sound than I've heard in Maggies which I consider to be really good in this area with certain types of music, like Jazz...and especially with live recordings.

You owe it to yourself to try to hear both the 3.7i and the Spatials to really form your own opinion.

Mr. Big

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:13 pm »
My M3 Sapphires have no lack of mid-bass or deep bass. So much depends on your room acoustics and then power cords which really impact gear and lastly setup of the speaker. But if your lacking bass/mid-bass something is off in your system. A great speaker is only the messenger of what it is fed and the room you have it in. 

catluck

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:33 pm »
Meaning NO disrespect to Greyhound (really), comparing any speaks to the original generation Spatials offers no relevant information so different are the Sapphires (in example).  Having had all iterations of the M speaks (including compression horn upgrades, x-over upgrade), I can say, that in the same room with virtually the same acoustic treatments, there simply is no way to conclude anything other than that the new Sapphire series is a vastly improved musical tool. Upper frequency detail, bass texture, pitch, and mid-range presence, are all hugely improved.  Having owned many "fine" speaks over the last 45 years (unfortunately not the Maggies being compared) I find the Spatials completely satisfying.  It's been a long, long time since I purchased audio kit and just abandoned thoughts of needing to remedy some shortfall or defect.  But that's the case with the Sapphire M3's.  Clayton suggested that I might never need a "better" speak than the M3's.  It wasn't hyperbole.  At least for the music I listen to on the M3 system, mostly, well almost entirely, jazz, they just sing.  I'm using tubes (Psvane 845 mono's) direct from an Okto Research DAC and I can't remember deriving so much enjoyment from the system.  In all, you simply can't compare the current Spatial products to any that came before, at least in the M series.   

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2022, 05:04 pm »
Catluck, I made a point to say that the newer spatials are much better.  I mainly pointed out that the 3.7's are finicky about amplification and need expensive high power, high current, high capacitance amps to sound their best.  Also, the spatials would be better for HT.

As far as which sounds better, that is personal choice and very subjective. :D

Mr. Big

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:32 am »
Catluck, I made a point to say that the newer spatial is much better.  I mainly pointed out that the 3.7's are finicky about amplification and need expensive high power, high current, high capacitance amps to sound their best.  Also, the spatial would be better for HT.

As far as which sounds better, that is a personal choice and very subjective. :D

True, me being an Electrostatic lover, but once you take it all the Spatials do, that no panel can do, and that is to make full range music as in your room and when you are used to limited areas of reproduction, dynamic swings, and details from the upper mids on up, well it takes some getting used to. Like all change we love to hold on to what we had or in our case used to hearing, saying this new piece of gear/speaker does not sound like what I am used to.  Do I miss the Quads, yes, but that is only because what they did right was so enjoyable, but I take the M3's over the Quads of any generation any day because they allow the full range of recording to come through the good or bad of them and no worries about damaging the panels to dynamic swings. 
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2022, 02:51 pm by Mr. Big »

econocook

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2022, 10:17 pm »
I have had my M5s for a couple of years now and swap them in and out with Maggie 1.7s.  While the Maggies throw a bigger sound stage, the M5 have much better imaging, dynamics, and bass.  I rarely keep the maggies in my system for long, though I don't want to part with them.

I am running all this with an Audible Illusions L3B tube pre and have a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp, Odyssey Stratos Extreme monos, and Willsenton r800i class A single-ended tube amp.  Oddly the Willsenton is my favorite.

Mr. Big

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2022, 01:14 am »
I have had my M5s for a couple of years now and swap them in and out with Maggie 1.7s.  While the Maggies throw a bigger sound stage, the M5 have much better imaging, dynamics, and bass.  I rarely keep the maggies in my system for long, though I don't want to part with them.

I am running all this with an Audible Illusions L3B tube pre and have a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp, Odyssey Stratos Extreme monos, and Willsenton r800i class A single-ended tube amp.  Oddly the Willsenton is my favorite.

Lots of good feedback on those Willsenstons. They say they are speicial.

Fbczar

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2022, 04:19 am »
Many thanks for the honesty and thoroughness of your comments. Honestly, it is rare to find a forum setup for one product to be focused on helping someone in my situation rather than just advocating.

jjss49

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2022, 02:38 am »
if anyone is moving off of a mint set of maggie 3.7i's, i am a buyer...  will need to travel via ltl freight in original packing and crates... i am ready to deal with that...

autospec

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2022, 04:15 am »
Tom, I totally agree with you.  I am sure the new spatials are a totally different animal then the originals that I heard.  By the way, I am not saying that he should get the 3.7i's over the spatials.  The 3.7's are a great speaker with the proper amps but are totally different than the spatials.  You really need an expensive amp to make Maggies sing and bring out their very dynamic sound and depth.  IMHO, people that think otherwise are wrong and that is why maggies can get a bad reputation.  The spatials are going to be the easier speaker.

autospec

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2022, 04:24 am »
Sir:   I have some interest in what you are doing , but I have tried to figure out this website for over 10 years and for the life of me there is no hope...............I've tried to email the head people to ask questions and never get answers.....I buy large amounts of Audio equipment but I can't even firure out how to buy anything on the website............Now you can't buy anything unless you have three posts.....What are three posts.........It appears that this is setup to confuse a new person, so all you have is the old guys and no new idea's...........All these silly pictures  ??   What is that all about ???   If you can pass this on to the powers tobe, maybe they can learn something.....But I would guess they really don't care............Thanks Will

Mr. Big

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2022, 10:14 am »
You should not attack this site or old people or silly pictures. Take your negativity elsewhere, this is a great site with so many folks taking the time to post info, and help others.

Craig B

« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2022, 12:05 pm »
Sir:   I have some interest in what you are doing , but I have tried to figure out this website for over 10 years and for the life of me there is no hope...............I've tried to email the head people to ask questions and never get answers.....I buy large amounts of Audio equipment but I can't even firure out how to buy anything on the website............Now you can't buy anything unless you have three posts.....What are three posts.........It appears that this is setup to confuse a new person, so all you have is the old guys and no new idea's...........All these silly pictures  ??   What is that all about ???   If you can pass this on to the powers tobe, maybe they can learn something.....But I would guess they really don't care............Thanks Will

I wasn't aware this site sold anything. Are you sure you posted this in the right place?

doggie

« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2022, 01:30 pm »

You already have 20 posts during your 10 years so you are qualified to post in the Trading Post area. Since you have already posted there 13 times my guess is that you already know that.

This forum is for friendly discussing of Spatial Audio speakers, not for buying/selling.

If you need help then please post here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=8.0