Introducing myself

MacLiam

Introducing myself
« on: 4 Jan 2022, 04:23 am »
Greetings, all. I am joining AudioCircle from Southern California.

My home sound system is composed of several components from the SONY Pre-Esprit and Esprit series of the late '70s through mid '80s. Several units came to me from my father, who was a Professor of Music and symphony musician. Others I picked up (mostly from Ebay) as they became available. All of them look new or nearly so, but four of them needed some some form of physical or electronic repair after ~40 years of mixed use and storage. Fortunately I found an old-school electronics repairman only 10 miles from home, and he took care of the problems efficiently and at a decent price.

Right now the stack consists of the following:

TA-E86B   Pre-amp
TA-D88B   Crossover
TA-J88B    Tuner
TA-K88B   Cassette 1
Nakamichi 482Z Cassette 2
TA-N86B amps (3)

All four output channels from the Crossover are used. Channel 1 (low end) goes directly to a Klipsch SW-112 Sub, which has its own internal amp. Channel 2 (bass/lower midrange) goes to amp 1 and then to the two cones in each of two Klipsch RP-280F Towers. Channel 3 (upper midrange) goes to amp 2 and then to the horn in each of the Klipsch towers. Channel four feeds the upper-end remainder of the signal to amp 3, and then to a pair of Klipsch RP-140SA Dolby Atmos speakers that are capable of a lot more than is asked of them in this arrangement. As configured, only the tweeters in those speakers have anything to do.

I won't bother with pics of the Klipsch units, which are about four years old, widely known,  and sound fine.

I added a remote switch to flip between AUX inputs like the TV, either Cassette, an Echo Dot that is my gateway to Amazon Music, and a Grace Digital Radio that lets me grab and add to a source list any radio station in the world that has an internet presence.

I like this system enough that I have been picking up extra units when I can in order to build a similar system for a different location.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2022, 06:07 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC MacLiam   :thumb: