I Sued The Sheriff

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: I Sued The Sheriff
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2021, 12:45 am »
Of course selling counterfeits or bootlegs is not okay.
Musicians deserve to be paid.
This particular Clapton concert is available on youtube.
Is he getting paid for that?
If not, is he going to go after them and set a precedent?

DannyBadorine

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2021, 01:46 am »
Good point.  I imagine that YouTube has better lawyers than the woman he is suing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2021, 07:17 am »
Sorry for the hijack, but "this Kafkian event will be the new reality from here on with the proverbial indispensable help of Windows 11 in informing all copyrighted audio and video files you have in your computer..."
???
Did I miss something? I hadn't seen anything about Windows 11 policing our computers' libraries before. I also did a one-minute Google search and didn't see anything jump out at me. Is there something going on with Windows 11 I should know about?
I will PM you to avoid out of topics.

decal

« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2021, 09:46 pm »
The more I hear about EC and his "people",the less I care for them.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2021, 09:37 pm »
Merry Christmas to this cantankerous old battle axe.

https://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-german-bootleg-case-statement

A happy ending.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2021, 09:53 pm »

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2021, 10:39 pm »
Yeah. If he didn't look bad before, he sure does now.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 23 Dec 2021, 06:32 am »
Agree, too bad this case get worse for EC every move.
Had she explained at the outset the full facts in a simple phone call or letter to the lawyers, any claim might, have been waived, and costs avoided.
Outrageously transferring the blame to the victim, an old lady who clearly has no legal knowledge, of what is an authorized CD or how identify a pirated CD.

This unfortunate case literally devastated what was left from the EC image before the fans, one of the great guitarists we had, his lawyers performance was totally disastrous for EC international image, he should sue his lawyers for moral and image shaken, his world wide public image was totally damaged by an $11 used CD.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2021, 10:01 am by FullRangeMan »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #28 on: 23 Dec 2021, 11:18 am »
Well said FRM.  Yes, it was totally blaming the victim.  Who pays her legal fees, and how can Clapton decide not to accept the Court ordered fine?  Granted I know nothing of German tort law, but in the US you pay the court and any restitution is forwarded to the other party.

genjamon

« Reply #29 on: 23 Dec 2021, 03:26 pm »
“ Eric Clapton decided not to take any further action and does not intend to collect the costs awarded to him by the Court. Also, he hopes the individual will not herself incur any further costs.”

The way I read this is that EC is forgoing reimbursement of the costs of his lawyers, so paying those out of his own pocket. But EC isn’t offering to reimburse the lady for the court fees or for the cost of her own lawyers. The total of $4k reported earlier is likely a combination of court fees and EC’s lawyer costs. Not sure how much of that $4k the lady is ending up owing here, nor how much her own lawyers cost.

If the EC story is to be believed, I see fault on both sides here. She clearly has an agenda, because she chose to lawyer up immediately rather than respond to the initial letter describing her circumstances. But then again, who in their right mind would respond in such a way to a cease and desist letter of this nature and under these circumstances. I suspect there is more background to this story than has been revealed thus far.