Tyson's Review of the Spatial Audio X3

atmasphere

• Industry Participant
Re: Tyson's Review of the Spatial Audio X3
« Reply #120 on: 28 Dec 2021, 06:28 pm »
You might ask 'if they are so good, why doesn't everyone use them", IME it's because the big octals can sometimes be more microphonic.  I personally haven't found this to be the case, but then again I'm just a user not a manufacturer.  But either way, the superior sound of something like a 6SN7 tube make it worth any additional fussiness.
Just my opinion, but I think the reason there aren't more manufacturers on board with 6SN7s is they simply haven't tried them. Two tubes that are often more microphonic are the 12AU7 and 6DJ8 (6922).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #121 on: 28 Dec 2021, 06:38 pm »
Just my opinion, but I think the reason there aren't more manufacturers on board with 6SN7s is they simply haven't tried them. Two tubes that are often more microphonic are the 12AU7 and 6DJ8 (6922).

Interesting.  Speaking for myself, after I discovered how much better octals sound, I refuse to buy an amp that uses anything else.  As is probably obvious from my list of amps in the initial review :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #122 on: 28 Dec 2021, 07:02 pm »
Exciting!  As a Kismet stereo amp owner myself, I will look forward to future comments about how they sound relative to your other amps on your speakers.  And it might just help those who are coming at this from a SS amp background or area of interest as well.  Odyssey are certainly on the "smoother" end of the SS spectrum, whatever that means...

I'm interested, as well. More specifically, I'd like to gain a better appreciation for the choice of tube amps over ss amps when someone is using a tube preamp, especially from a dude who owns a gazillion amps. :o

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #123 on: 28 Dec 2021, 07:07 pm »
Hmmm….  Steve Guttenberg a.k.a. The Audiophiliac had a two part YouTube interview with a guy who had a lot of gear over the years and the guy mentioned the best tubes were 6SN7.  I had never heard anyone make a claim like that about that particular tube.  I know it’s all subjective, but I was curious how well they might sound in tube gear?

atmasphere

• Industry Participant
« Reply #124 on: 28 Dec 2021, 07:41 pm »
Hmmm….  Steve Guttenberg a.k.a. The Audiophiliac had a two part YouTube interview with a guy who had a lot of gear over the years and the guy mentioned the best tubes were 6SN7.  I had never heard anyone make a claim like that about that particular tube.  I know it’s all subjective, but I was curious how well they might sound in tube gear?
Just fine, as far as I can tell  :) I would describe them as having a richer, more robust sound as opposed to miniature types, with the possible exception of the inexpensive, recently manufactured Sovtek variety. If you get a good enough miniature tube it can work as well, but that's about where the 6SN7s start and they get better from there. IMO of course.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #125 on: 28 Dec 2021, 07:46 pm »
I checked out the Atmas-Sphere website and I noticed the Atmas-Sphere S-30 has the XLR and RCA inputs on the front of the amp.  This amp sparked my interest, but I wouldn't be able to connect my XLR cables to the front of the unit.  Any plans to change the configuration of the inputs?

decooney

« Reply #126 on: 28 Dec 2021, 07:49 pm »

Fwiw, over the past 2-3 years I've noted some tube preamp designers commenting recently going with 12AU7/AT7s instead of 6SN7/6SL7 due to the shrinking of really good availability N7/L7 new-old-stock (NOS). Particularly those looking for matched pairs or matched quads like I need.  While I keep a small supply of good NOS and new reproduction of both types (N7, U7), there is one other avenue to consider again; New. Some people overlook this, and I did for many years until a year ago, retrying.

While I've been hoarding away some of my better NOS 6SN7 quad sets for my Cary tube preamplifier, its been quite surprising trying new reproduction 6SN7s again lately, and some of them are not too bad. There are more new production N7s available now than three years ago. It's helping to keep 6SN7/6SL7 preamps alive for those who must use them. :) 

atmasphere

• Industry Participant
« Reply #127 on: 28 Dec 2021, 07:57 pm »
I checked out the Atmas-Sphere website and I noticed the Atmas-Sphere S-30 has the XLR and RCA inputs on the front of the amp.  This amp sparked my interest, but I wouldn't be able to connect my XLR cables to the front of the unit.  Any plans to change the configuration of the inputs?
We've built them with connections on the back, but there is only room if the connectors are RCA. At home I run fairly flexible XLR cables, which I route beneath the amp from the rear and then plug into the front.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #128 on: 28 Dec 2021, 08:07 pm »
We've built them with connections on the back, but there is only room if the connectors are RCA. At home I run fairly flexible XLR cables, which I route beneath the amp from the rear and then plug into the front.
Got it....  Thanks!
Fwiw, over the past 2-3 years I've noted some tube preamp designers commenting recently going with 12AU7/AT7s instead of 6SN7/6SL7 due to the shrinking of really good availability N7/L7 new-old-stock (NOS). Particularly those looking for matched pairs or matched quads like I need.  While I keep a small supply of good NOS and new reproduction of both types (N7, U7), there is one other avenue to consider again; New. Some people overlook this, and I did for many years until a year ago, retrying.

While I've been hoarding away some of my better NOS 6SN7 quad sets for my Cary tube preamplifier, its been quite surprising trying new reproduction 6SN7s again lately, and some of them are not too bad. There are more new production N7s available now than three years ago. It's helping to keep 6SN7/6SL7 preamps alive for those who must use them. :) 
Thanks for sharing your experience with new tubes because the masses make you feel like you are buying garbage if your tubes are not NOS.  I have some newly purchased re-issued Gold Lion KT66 in my amp and they sound nice so far.  I have very little hours on them at this time.

Tyson

« Reply #129 on: 28 Dec 2021, 09:06 pm »
Got it....  Thanks!Thanks for sharing your experience with new tubes because the masses make you feel like you are buying garbage if your tubes are not NOS.  I have some newly purchased re-issued Gold Lion KT66 in my amp and they sound nice so far.  I have very little hours on them at this time.

I've found that new production Psvane tubes have been excellent, particularly the Art series, the Philips series and the Western Electric series. 

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #130 on: 28 Dec 2021, 09:50 pm »
I've found that new production Psvane tubes have been excellent, particularly the Art series, the Philips series and the Western Electric series.
That’s good to know!

Tyson

« Reply #131 on: 28 Dec 2021, 09:55 pm »
That’s good to know!

I've also tried almost all the tubes being made in eastern Europe and Russia (JJ, Sovtek, Gold Lion, new Mullard, new Tung Sol, Sophia Electric, etc.) and the higher end Psvane tubes consistently sound better than they do, IME.

decooney

« Reply #132 on: 29 Dec 2021, 11:31 pm »
Got it....  Thanks!Thanks for sharing your experience with new tubes because the masses make you feel like you are buying garbage if your tubes are not NOS.  I have some newly purchased re-issued Gold Lion KT66 in my amp and they sound nice so far.  I have very little hours on them at this time.

Sure.  The (new-reissue or NOS) tubes can sound different in different amplifiers and different circuits. Just gotta try it, as you are.  And, when people have different components and different speakers, more variables come into play for each individual's personal outcome. Most tube amp manufacturers don't rely on NOS tubes any more with limited matched supply. Its worth trying re-issue tubes too, as you have, to come up with something that works "good enough", let 'em burn in, and simply enjoy the music. Last week I removed all of my NOS tubes (excluding my tube DAC) now running all new re-issue tubes in my preamp and mono amps, and it sounds nice all warmed up.   

Tyson

« Reply #133 on: 7 Jan 2022, 06:09 pm »
And now the fun really begins.  With Clayton's permission, I'm in the process of upgrading the crossover parts and the internal wiring for my X3's. 

RonP

« Reply #134 on: 7 Jan 2022, 06:24 pm »
And now the fun really begins.  With Clayton's permission, I'm in the process of upgrading the crossover parts and the internal wiring for my X3's.
keep us posted!

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #135 on: 7 Jan 2022, 06:41 pm »
Tyson, you’re upgrading the X3 crossovers yourself or sending them back to Clayton?  Are these the latest crossovers used by Spatial or aftermarket.  When I say “aftermarket” I’m no insinuating that they are cheap, I’m just asking for clarity on your new adventure!

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #136 on: 7 Jan 2022, 06:53 pm »
Sure.  The (new-reissue or NOS) tubes can sound different in different amplifiers and different circuits. Just gotta try it, as you are.  And, when people have different components and different speakers, more variables come into play for each individual's personal outcome. Most tube amp manufacturers don't rely on NOS tubes any more with limited matched supply. Its worth trying re-issue tubes too, as you have, to come up with something that works "good enough", let 'em burn in, and simply enjoy the music. Last week I removed all of my NOS tubes (excluding my tube DAC) now running all new re-issue tubes in my preamp and mono amps, and it sounds nice all warmed up.
I like to hear these positive reports about new re-issued tubes!  I’m a solid state man at this time as a result of my new Luxman purchase.  I love it!

decooney

« Reply #137 on: 7 Jan 2022, 07:05 pm »
I like to hear these positive reports about new re-issued tubes!  I’m a solid state man at this time as a result of my new Luxman purchase.  I love it!

yeah, I just started pulling and storing my better vintage and NOS tubes storing them away. Forced myself to go back and put a little more re-testing and break-in time on some brand new tubes I had sitting round as backups; now sitting in the primary position.  Finding a few welcome surprises. Some of my new-reissue tubes are putting some of my vintage tubes to a real challenge, which is a great thing. Includes 6SN7s, 12AU7, 12AT7s.  Power tubes are all new-production, can't avoid that now.   

Enjoy the Luxman, it can bring its own level of enjoyment and characteristic sound too. Congrats.   

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #138 on: 7 Jan 2022, 07:42 pm »
yeah, I just started pulling and storing my better vintage and NOS tubes storing them away. Forced myself to go back and put a little more re-testing and break-in time on some brand new tubes I had sitting round as backups; now sitting in the primary position.  Finding a few welcome surprises. Some of my new-reissue tubes are putting some of my vintage tubes to a real challenge, which is a great thing. Includes 6SN7s, 12AU7, 12AT7s.  Power tubes are all new-production, can't avoid that now.   

Enjoy the Luxman, it can bring its own level of enjoyment and characteristic sound too. Congrats.   
Thank you and the Luxman will get some more burn in this weekend!

atmasphere

• Industry Participant
« Reply #139 on: 7 Jan 2022, 07:50 pm »
FWIW dept,: we've got a lot of customers using the boutique tubes like the Psvane, Sophia and LinLai tubes, mostly 6SN7s. The feedback I get on them is they 'have the best character of the best NOS tubes, without the weaknesses'. The only thing we've seen as a downside on them so far is the Sophia unaccountably seems to have a short life even when not pushed hard- under 6 months. This information applies only to the 6SN7; we've not got any feedback on other tubes we use.

We recently tested a set of LinLais here and they worked great. We also tested the 'globe' variant which also worked fine. But a customer of ours had a lot of microphonic problems with the globes he purchased- he actually sent the preamp back to us for repair and all the problems were solved by replacing the defective tubes. Again FWIW the globe version has considerable resonance in the glass structure; if the tube ever develops microphonic issues the glass will exacerbate that, and since all tubes have microphonics to some degree anyway, IMO the globe should be avoided. But with those two caveats the boutique tubes are quite good!