The older I get,the more'picky'I get at what I listen to.

Huck

Re: The older I get,the more'picky'I get at what I listen to.
« Reply #60 on: 17 Dec 2021, 07:49 pm »
Does AmazonHD,UltraHD use MQA or do I need to add another subscription to maybe Tidal or some other service to aquire MQA?Thanks,Huck

Craig B

« Reply #61 on: 17 Dec 2021, 07:51 pm »
I just bought a Bluesound NODE,so we will see(hear) if it get's rid of the grinding,gritty,glassy top-end from my CD's.
Has to be delivered yet.Thanks,Huck

How are you planning to play your CDs through a Node? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Huck

« Reply #62 on: 17 Dec 2021, 07:57 pm »
How are you planning to play your CDs through a Node? Or am I misunderstanding your post?
Sorry...the CD's will sit for some time while I play with this new NODE,for which is supposed to support MQA,so if I can listen to MQA through Amazon HD,Ultra HD for which I subscribe to,it would be good.
Maybe I need to add another subscription to Tidal or some other service that offers MQA,not sure if Amazon does?
Thanks,Huck

nocrapman

« Reply #63 on: 17 Dec 2021, 08:15 pm »
You dont NEED MQA. We just have to tolerate it.
Master Quality Authenticated is a proprietary audio codec using lossy compression and a form of file fingerprinting, intended for high fidelity digital audio streaming media and music download.
There is plenty of Hires Audio without MQA.

Huck

« Reply #64 on: 17 Dec 2021, 08:19 pm »
You dont NEED MQA. We just have to tolerate it.
Master Quality Authenticated is a proprietary audio codec using lossy compression and a form of file fingerprinting, intended for high fidelity digital audio streaming media and music download.
There is plenty of Hires Audio without MQA.
Thanks...probably my old ears couldn't tell the difference anyway,so I will stick with Amazon HD for now.Thanks,Huck :thumb:

nocrapman

« Reply #65 on: 17 Dec 2021, 08:23 pm »
I am unfamilar with Amazon HD. I do have subscriptions to Tidal/Quboz and spotify (dont ask!)
Tidal is heavy on US centric music with heavy promotions for hip hop/rap. Quboz is Eurocentric with more focus on classical/jazz.
Spotify is very balanced and comprehensive but not Hires. They have plans to go that direction.

Craig B

« Reply #66 on: 17 Dec 2021, 08:25 pm »
If you get to the point where you're looking for another hi-res streaming service, I highly recommend Qobuz. I've not heard any MQA files from Tidal that aren't equaled in sound by Qobuz. They're also less restrictive on playing purchased downloads. Once you own them, you can play them even if you quit the service. It's my understanding that Tidal requires an active subscription to be able to play purchased downloads. The only downside, if there is one, is that maybe one time out of 50 I'll find something I'm looking for on Tidal and not on Qobuz. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Huck

« Reply #67 on: 17 Dec 2021, 08:33 pm »
I am unfamilar with Amazon HD. I do have subscriptions to Tidal/Quboz and spotify (dont ask!)
Tidal is heavy on US centric music with heavy promotions for hip hop/rap. Quboz is Eurocentric with more focus on classical/jazz.
Spotify is very balanced and comprehensive but not Hires. They have plans to go that direction.
I also have Spotify also and to be honest,at least for me,it doesn't sound too bad going through my computre via usb to my Benchmark DAC1 USB into headphones,but almost unlistenable on my downstairs speaker rig...hopefully Spotify will get something done with this new audio upgrade they were talking about back in April! Huck

Huck

« Reply #68 on: 17 Dec 2021, 08:34 pm »
If you get to the point where you're looking for another hi-res streaming service, I highly recommend Qobuz. I've not heard any MQA files from Tidal that aren't equaled in sound by Qobuz. They're also less restrictive on playing purchased downloads. Once you own them, you can play them even if you quit the service. It's my understanding that Tidal requires an active subscription to be able to play purchased downloads. The only downside, if there is one, is that maybe one time out of 50 I'll find something I'm looking for on Tidal and not on Qobuz. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Is Qobuz available in Canada? Thanks,Huck

Craig B

« Reply #69 on: 17 Dec 2021, 09:13 pm »
Is Qobuz available in Canada? Thanks,Huck

It might not be just yet. I didn't realize that's where you were. Sorry.