Another custom SET evaluation setup

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Another custom SET evaluation setup
« on: 26 Mar 2005, 11:54 pm »
With our new Musica Bella amplifiers due in the next few days. I have decided to take an affordable pair of higher effeciency speakers to the extreme. I want to be able to hear these amps with various speakers and found that even affordable speakers can sound exceptional with a little (okay, not so little) tweaking.

Here is what will be used as one of the speakers in the development and evaluation of the Musica Bella 300B amplifiers.

Audio Note AZ-TWO Loudspeakers ($999 pr. stock form)

1)The crossover is removed from the enclosure.

2)We rebuild the crossover using VH Audio "Oil Impregnated Metalized Polypropylene" capacitors.

3)The capacitor for the tweeter is bypassed with a VH Audio Teflon V-Cap unit for purity.

4)The drivers are then wired direct to the dual binding post on the back of the speaker enclosures with 100% solid silver wire.  

5)Multiple strands of 24 awg. solid silver / Teflon dielectric is used for the woofer positive terminal with a double run of 22 awg. copper for the negative terminal.

6)A double run of 28 awg, solid silver, cotton dielectric wire is used for the tweeter positive terminal with a single run of 22 awg. copper for the negative.  

7)Each rebuilt crossover is then mounted into its own outboard, solid Cherry enclosure.  (my personal prototype pair use a MDF x-over enclosure with vinyl veneer)

8)A custom umbilical cord is used as an interconnect from the crossovers and speakers using a Speak-On connector at the crossover end and 4 high quality silver plated banana plugs at the speaker end. The wiring within this connector is identical to that used within the speakers.

9) Audio Points for both the loudspeakers and crossover enclosures.