Looking for a digital camera for about $300-$350

Emil

« on: 26 Mar 2005, 04:25 pm »
can some point me in the direction for one that has the best bang for the buck? Also, the best place to purchase one.

Thanks
Emil

PhilNYC

« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2005, 04:33 pm »
I'm a big fan of Canon cameras.  Depending on what's important to you, they have different models with different strengths (size vs. resolution vs. features vs. etc).  IMHO they take fantastic pictures, have great useability (eg. no lag between pressing the button and the picture being taken), and are built very well (have dropped mine many times with no damage).  I've got the Canon S410 (small like a deck of cards, 4MegaPixel) and am thoroughly happy with it.  It was about $400 when I got it, but can now be found for $250 on Amazon (a newer smaller model has been released since last year)

Have also owned digital cameras from Kodak, Sony, Nikon, and Minolta...and IMHO Canon offers the best overall package...

Oh...and I've found J&R in NY to have competitive pricing while being very reliable in terms of delivery and credit card safety...http://www.jandr.com

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2005, 04:48 pm »
Emil:
 pcworld.com has some very good articles and reviews of digital cameras.

Cheers
                    Charlie

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2005, 04:52 pm »
Emil,

I posted this on another thread.

Another alternative is to get Nikon Coolpix 5400.  Abes of Maine has it for $467 including $22 shipping.  You can get $200 back from Nikon, which will make it $267 final cost.  It seems the only down side is that its flash is too weak for night shooting, but I am thinking this shouldn't matter much since you would have lighting.  Canon G5 is comparable but with Nikon rebate and your familiarity with the brand, Coolpix 5400 makes economic sense for now.

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2005, 04:57 pm »
Btw - for the most thorough reviews of digital cameras I've found, check out http://www.dpreview.com

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2005, 05:08 pm »
dcresource.com is another good resource.

We have selected Canon cameras at work for combination of picture quality/ease of use/sturdiness.  I've had a Powershot S400 for a couple of years now and have been very impressed with the pictures.

The newest version of that model should be in your price range.

I would highly recommend a memory card reader for transferring pictures to your computer.

Emil

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2005, 06:25 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Emil,

I posted this on another thread.

Another alternative is to get Nikon Coolpix 5400.  Abes of Maine has it for $467 including $22 shipping.  You can get $200 back from Nikon, which will make it $267 final cost.  It seems the only down side is that its flash is too weak for night shooting, but I am thinking this shouldn't matter much since you would have lighting.  Canon G5 is comparable but with Nikon rebate and your familiarity with the brand, Coolpix 5400 makes economic sense for now.

Thanks Guys
The thought of getting a $500 plus camera for a little over $200 sond like a heck of a deal but whas the catch?

Here is the camera
http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=nkcp5400

KJ

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2005, 07:01 pm »
Chalk up another vote for Canon.  We have a Canon A80 and it's been oustanding.  Bought it using www.pricegrabber.com (from whoever had the best pricing at the time).  They have a new model (A95) that is a 5 megapixel version.  I also have an older Nikon CoolPix 990 which was decent back in the day it came out.  Outstanding quality, but the functionality is incredibly slow.  Hopefully they have improved them over the years.

-KJ

Christof

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2005, 10:23 pm »
Just a heads up, the Nikon rebates expire at the end of this month.
c.

sleepkyng

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2005, 10:38 pm »
i just got this for my birthday: $230

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/optios5i.html

it is tiny! and fantastic! i love it.

jermmd

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2005, 11:29 pm »
Another vote for canon.  I love my S400 and would by the same (newest version) again if I was looking for a point and shoot.  I'm not sure who makes the best high end, SLR digital though.

Joe M.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2005, 02:04 pm »
Quote from: Emil
Thanks Guys
The thought of getting a $500 plus camera for a little over $200 sond like a heck of a deal but whas the catch?

Here is the camera
http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=nkcp5400

The catch is that this camera has unusual feature combination.  It has the size and design of a serious full size camera but has point and shoot optics.  At its list price it seemed lacking in optics or too cumbersome with body weight.  With the rebate, it has "extra" features of control that you won't get with point and shoot at this price range.  If you are looking for the most convient camera that you can carry anywhere and just point and shoot, get a Canon Elph.  If you want to do a little more creative composition -- getting smiling faces in the middle of the frame is not the end goal -- this would be a great deal until the end of March.

Emil

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2005, 02:17 pm »
Woodsyi

I guess what you're telling me is that this camera was overpriced to begin with so Nikon offered the rebate which now makes it a good buy?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2005, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: Emil
Woodsyi

I guess what you're telling me is that this camera was overpriced to begin with so Nikon offered the rebate which now makes it a good buy?

Pretty much.  There is just a little more to it.  It is big and heavy compared to an ELPH.  You can't put it in you pocket so it's not good for social gatherings you may go to.  The size and design is actually good for those "photographers" who wants to "compose" photos with different settings.  So, yes it's a good buy if you are looking for an entry level "serious" camera with the end goal of printing out your pictures.  If you just want something you can easily carry around to capture the moments at social gatherings for e-mail and maybe print a few pictures here and there, get a much more convinient Canon ELPH unless you already have a cell phone with one.

goskers

« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2005, 04:55 pm »
After searching for a long time I went with the Panasonic dmcfz3.  I have absolutely no complaints about it so far.  It is not a miniature like some of the ones out there but it is very compact and well built.  My dad owns the canon digital rebel so that is what I was basing quite a bit of my decision against.  Pannie is also highly recommended.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2005, 05:56 pm »
I just got an e-mail from Costco.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11036366&cm_mmc=Canon-_-CanonDigital-_-2-_-CanonDigitalCamera

Good price for a good product for those looking for digital point-and-shoot.

Thebiker

Digital Camera
« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2005, 07:03 pm »
I just picked up a Konica/Minolta Z5 with a 12x optical and a 5meg resolution.  The camera is stunning and feature set is very flexible and easily accessible.

This one is just released so it's price is right around $500 no matter where you check.  It's little brother is the Z20 for @$330.  Differences are a 10x zoom instead of the 12x, 4meg and the Z20 lacks the "anti-shake" feature of the Z5.

I just used the Z5 in Death Valley last week.....fun to use and images are awesome!