NX-Otica Build, and Something Personal!

Chewbacca

Re: NX-Otica Build, and Something Personal!
« Reply #60 on: 7 Dec 2021, 02:08 am »
Thanks, Jay! I appreciate the kind words!... I sure can imagine you're busy pumping out kits! These speakers are the steal of the century!!!

I'd give some more updates on the speakers, but unfortunately my HT preamp took a crap on me, so I'm not able to just break them in 24/7 like I was right off the bat... Then of course, my Little Lady and I both got Covid, so I haven't even listened to music in about 3 days... Just starting to get on the mend though, so soon enough, back to business as usual! :thumb:

But I'm probably close to the 100 hour mark, and I can certainly say, the tweeter is opening up to something really really special... Music just flows out of these things. Man, I'm excited for my body to reacclimate to the living, so I can enjoy the finer things again! :green:

Chewbacca

« Reply #61 on: 7 Dec 2021, 02:22 am »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, anyone that's going to use the Rust-Oleum Acrylic Enamel Paint - For this project we cut it down with 3oz of water per 20oz of paint... Stuff is basically liquid plastic. Just a really bizarre paint. It gummed up the gun and spat the paint out before cutting it :thumb:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #62 on: 7 Dec 2021, 02:17 pm »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, anyone that's going to use the Rust-Oleum Acrylic Enamel Paint - For this project we cut it down with 3oz of water per 20oz of paint... Stuff is basically liquid plastic. Just a really bizarre paint. It gummed up the gun and spat the paint out before cutting it :thumb:

Just an FYI, you'd have been better off using Acetone. Remember oil and water don't play well together. If it worked then you got lucky and they do look good, but you got lucky. If you had upgraded to actual automotive paint you could have covered those things in a quart and been more structurally stable (and way easier to spray) to where you could sand and polish them easier. Just some tips for your next build. :thumb:

Chewbacca

« Reply #63 on: 7 Dec 2021, 02:50 pm »
Just an FYI, you'd have been better off using Acetone. Remember oil and water don't play well together. If it worked then you got lucky and they do look good, but you got lucky. If you had upgraded to actual automotive paint you could have covered those things in a quart and been more structurally stable (and way easier to spray) to where you could sand and polish them easier. Just some tips for your next build. :thumb:

Hey, nlitworld! What I used is actually an acrylic based paint and not oil, so to the best of my knowledge it is usually thinned with water :thumb:

Automotive may have been better, I’m really not sure. I talked for quite a bit to a guy at the paint shop (actual paint store, not a Home Depot for example) and he really seemed like he knew his stuff, so I took his advice on this one. I know it could have turned out better, but I’m pretty happy with the results!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #64 on: 7 Dec 2021, 03:47 pm »
"Paint" in all its various formulations is a confusing landscape at best. There isn't any compelling reason or mandate for manufacturers to describe exactly what their products consist of. One can gain some clues about content by reading what the recommended thinning or clean-up solvent is. Marketing and product liability play big parts here, which seems counterintuitive.

In really broad brush strokes the world of "paint" can be broken down into two categories. To make it yet more confusing there are also hybrids.

1.Water base or waterborne, which sound like the same thing, but that's not necessarily true, but both are typically thinned with water
2.Solvent base. This covers a lot of ground. Everything that's not water based is usually considered solvent based. Paint thinner is a solvent. "Hotter" solvents like lacquer thinner have different characteristics and health risks.

In essence, there are base polymers, which includes acrylic, latex, urethane, alkyd and many more. To these, appropriate solvents or carriers are added. Solvents are essentially the delivery vehicle and for the most part evaporate, catalyze or crosslink after application. 

I've found that "paint stores" as they exist now, know most about products intended for architectural applications. Automotive paint supply stores know that category, which is a very different world, both in chemistry and intended end use. There's also an even more obscure supply chain that's geared toward wood finishing. Again, a whole different world from what one finds in Woodcraft, big box or similar. I'm not faulting any of them, but their target audiences are different, so knowledge across the board is limited, in my experience. A coatings chemist would be a better resource, but where does one find those?

All that to say...it's confusing from a consumer standpoint.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #65 on: 7 Dec 2021, 05:51 pm »
"Paint" in all its various formulations is a confusing landscape at best.

For not being in the paint industry, you have a pretty decent grasp on the chemistry Peter.

Anyways Chewy I didn't mean to divert the thread from your build, but I try to chime in on tips for the painting process since that is my day gig and it's a hobby on the side. Really it's not all that daunting of a task but there are a few key things that will move a hobbyist paint job into a pro paint job. I try to help anyone who is looking to tackle that themselves. Since I figure I already talk a bunch, I might as well make it useful info.  :lol:

Tccaux

« Reply #66 on: 26 Jan 2022, 06:46 pm »
Chewy, did you ever get the no-res into your Oticas? I’m going full auto paint with a high polish clear for my Oticas if my hands don’t go to nubs first. Thanks!

Chewbacca

« Reply #67 on: 26 Jan 2022, 07:29 pm »
Hey, Tccaux! No, I haven't... Thanks for the reminder :duh: It's been on my mind a bit lately, I just haven't had the time. I think I may squeeze it in this weekend or the following.

The speakers just sound so good as is. They're unbelievable. I had a friend over the other day, and I started his audiophile journey :lol: He was amazed. He couldn't wipe the smile off of his face, he was just giddy. He was astonished that speakers could produce anything even remotely close to that - and he's had speakers his whole life, just nothing worth writing home about. I'm trying to convince him to buy and let me build him a pair of NX-Studios. He's probably going to buy my old bookshelves because he doesn't want to wait lol. Which is better for me, I just know the Studios will be better.

I'll do a better writeup in a couple weeks on the Oticas when I have the NoRez in. I just can't say enough good about them. It's just music. Unadulterated music. It just sounds real.... It's unreal :lol: They've completely disappeared into the room. They're currently in about a 70" eq. triangle and 50" off the front wall.

Some random Otica eye candy: :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #68 on: 26 Jan 2022, 08:56 pm »
Speakers at this level are actually time machines.  :thumb:

Poleary

« Reply #69 on: 28 Jan 2022, 06:41 pm »
Wonderful story, wonderful build and excellent photos to document. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

P

Danny Richie

« Reply #70 on: 8 Feb 2022, 01:49 am »
That's a good looking pre-amp in the mix too.