Headphone meet on 4/2

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Headphone meet on 4/2
« on: 25 Mar 2005, 04:37 pm »
At my place.  If you wanna hear some headphone stuff and/or have stuff to bring, let me know.  It'll be at my place from 1pm to 5pm.

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2005, 04:58 pm »
Tyson,

What stuff will you have there?

Tyson

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2005, 05:19 pm »
Assuming everyone makes it, this is what we will have:

Headphones
AKG K271s (modded and with headphile cable)
BeyerDynamic 250-250
Audio Technica a900's (modded)
Etymotic ER-6
Sennheiser HD650
Grado SR-125
Shure E2c
Sennheisser HD590
ATH Sovereign W1000
Sennheiser HD650 (with the Zu-Mobius cable)
Senn PX200
Koss KSC-35
Sony MDR-CD3000 with headphile quilted mable and silver cable mods
ATH-A900 (unmodded, so they can be compared to the modded set.)

Amps
Radii HAP-05 - dual output (with OTL output and transformer output)
PPA
X-Cans V2 (heavily modded)
Singlepower PPX3 w/ RCA blackplate and cleartop tubes
Cmoy
Xin superMini v 6.2D
Xin superMacro w/ switches
SinglePower MPX3

Source:
nOrh CD-1
Boulder Mensa DIO
Denon DVD-2200
Ipod
Rio Karma

Scotch
I've got plenty to offer

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2005, 12:54 am »
It turns out that I can't make it on Sat.  I hope everyone has a good time.  It looks like a good variety that overlaps with what I own, so I wouldn't be able to add much.  I would like to hear the Singlepower amps and the CD3000 sometime, but it will have to wait.  I'm going to borrow one of the Channel Island amps sometime soon to check it out.  Now that the glassman v2 buffers are finally headed state-side, I should be adding those to my PPA shortly.

Tyson

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2005, 01:45 am »
What are glasman v2 buffers?

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2005, 02:38 am »
This thread is a bit too long (the new buffer discussion was started in the old buffer thread instead of a new one), but this link jumps to the page where the new ones show their faces:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69682&page=28&pp=20

Basically, the thread starts as a discussion of an alternative to Larocco's diamond buffer for the PPA (which was an alternative to the IC buffers).  

The new PPA v2 essentially integrates a discrete buffer stage (I don't know the details, but I would guess it is based on Larocco's), so these will probably be the only run made for people with PPA v1.x amps.

mgalusha

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2005, 05:19 am »
Tyson,

I hope to make it and have a Melos SHA-1 headphone amp to add to the mix. It was on a shelf in Jerry's basement for the last 8 or 9 years needing repair. I've taken care of the problem and it will be cooking on the FryKleaner for the rest of the week. The caps should be re-formed nicely in a few days. :)

This was supposed to be an excellent headphone amp in it's day. It should be interesting to see how it compares to the newer stuff. The Melos is a tube/mosfet hybrid.

Brad - Are you going to order some fo the Glassman buffer boards? If so and you havn't done so already, I'd love to go in on an order with you. Should help reduce both our shipping costs. Maybe Tyson would want a set for his PPA as well.

Mike

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2005, 01:59 pm »
Mike,

I will be ordering a set as soon as they start the sales.  People in Europe already have theirs, but they decided to simplify things for people in the US with a single US distributor.  The US distributor will also be including the caps you'll need to replace one of the resistors which wasn't included in the European sales.  I think this might be delaying the US distribution for a few days.  

I would be happy to add you onto my order, but it will only save $3 on the second and third sets.  From the head-fi thread:

domestic (US):
$48 for first set, shipped and incl. paypal fees.. add $45 for each additional set..

Let me know if you would like me to add you to the order.

mgalusha

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2005, 02:37 pm »
Brad,

I didn't know there was going to be a US distributor, I thought you were going to have to order them from Europe and there would be some nasty shipping involved.

Probably doesn't make sense to add me to your order unless the distributor would be willing to ship to seperate addresses. If you would be willing to shoot me the link for ordering once they are avaialable that would be great. I don't spend much time on the Head-Fi site, so I'm sure I'd miss it.

Thanks!

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2005, 03:47 pm »
Mike,

Will do.  I expect they will open sales this week.  I think there are about 50 sets available in the US.  Having a US distributor makes it a lot easier since the guy making them is in the Czech Rep and getting money to him is a pain.

Tyson

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2005, 05:27 pm »
Yes, I'd like to get some for my PPA too :)

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2005, 11:14 pm »
It looks like the distributor (bg4533 on Head-fi) has already started accepting orders via PM and is down to 40.  I just sent him a PM to request a set for myself, but you two should move quickly if you want sets (I mentioned that two other people I know would want sets).  

If you would rather piggy-back on mine, let me know ASAP.

Brad

Tyson

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2005, 11:20 pm »
I'd like to piggyback.  Thanks!

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2005, 11:58 pm »
Tyson,

Noted.  Just to make sure (I don't know your DIY skill level), you know that these require some assembly (only through-hole, no SMD) and require replacing a resistor on the PPA with a cap and making a solder bridge.  All pretty simple stuff for anyone who has built a PPA, but I wasn't sure if you built yours.

mgalusha

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2005, 02:10 am »
Brad,

If you're willing I'll piggyback on as well. Send me your email and I'll shoot you some cash via PayPal.

Tyson,

I'm willing to install this if you like and I'll  to do mine first so as not to use your PPA for practice.  :lol:

mike

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2005, 02:21 am »
I'll send both of you PMs with my Paypal address and the amount.  When I get them in, I'll see if I can get together with Mike and give him both sets.

randytsuch

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2005, 03:32 am »
Thanks guys, you just made me spend more money  :wink: .
I bought a couple sets so I can have more projects to wait to get too.
Between this, and the broken Jolida I bought today, my wallet is a little thin.

But seriously, thanks for pointing out the group buy thread.  I would have missed it, since it was not that obvious what it was for.  Now, maybe after I finish my dynahi, usb dac, fix the Jolida, dynaco st70 mod ...

Randy

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2005, 04:05 am »
Randy,

Glad you got a chance.  I also picked up a handful of the USB->SPDIF boards from that group buy.  I have barely resisted buying a MMM board - I have appropriate power supply caps and opamps sitting around, but I don't really need another amp.

randytsuch

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2005, 05:45 am »
Quote from: BradJudy
Randy,

Glad you got a chance.  I also picked up a handful of the USB->SPDIF boards from that group buy.  I have barely resisted buying a MMM board - I have appropriate power supply caps and opamps sitting around, but I don't really need another amp.

Hi
The only thing that keeps me from buying the mmm is that the Dynahi is supposed to be about the best SS headphone amp around, so I will see how it sounds when I finish it.  Bummer is, that it is really finished, but I am trying to get the offset down.  I did not know I needed to match all the transistors and diodes before I put it together.   :(
Another problem is, Kevin is now working on a transformerless headphone amp.  Well. maybe I will need a new project by the time that group buy comes around. :wink:

Randy

Randy

BradJudy

Headphone meet on 4/2
« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2005, 01:55 pm »
hehe - Don't think I haven't considered the Dynahi.  Staying away from those threads has probably saved me some good money.  :)