What tube amp to tame the Klipsch KG1

Fosmosis

What tube amp to tame the Klipsch KG1
« on: 8 Oct 2021, 07:48 pm »
I have a modest two channel setup with pair of Klipsch KG1's hooked up to a Pioneer 737 amp. My room is about 12ft x 8ft. I listen to more singer/songwriter acoustic stuff. I was hoping to get some tube amp recommendations to sooth that Klipsch sound and match well. Thanks

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: What tube amp to tame the Klipsch KG1
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2021, 10:44 pm »
Dennis Had's Inspire line of amps would be a great match.  In fact I think there's one for sale here in the used section.

Fosmosis

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2021, 03:45 am »
I'd love to check that out but I can't seem to find it in the used section

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2021, 05:12 am »
There's a gazillion options until you let us know your general budget. Will you be using the Pioneer as a preamp?

Fosmosis

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm »
Budget is around $1000 give or take. The Pioneer could be used as a pre but id prefer an all in stand alone unit to replace the pioneer all together

Markwatkiss

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2021, 03:54 pm »
Coincident Dynamo 34SE MKII rated at 8 watts a side.Generates very high current,very comfortable driving 89db and above.Well reviewed.Drop dead gorgeous.You should be able to source one in your price range.
I'm presently using the current production MK 3.

/mp

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2021, 08:19 pm »
I've 0 experience with your equipment. Take this with an appropriately gargantuan grain of salt. Speakers placed against walls get boundary boosted bass reinforcement. This helps small speakers generate a wider spectrum  than free standing speakers. The tradeoff is less of other desirable characteristics. Try bringing your speakers out into the room a foot or yard. Whatever is manageable in the small room.  That is a speaker stand under the Halloween ornament, isn't it?  No cost, no harm, no foul. What's the worst that could happen? Your new amp goes a little over-budget.

As always, YMMV.

rotarius

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2021, 09:04 pm »
I don't think a tube amp is going to be better at taming your speakers than the pioneer.  You could start with a used Primaluna Prologue or a Jolida with EL34 tubes and see what you think. I imagine you will end up replacing the Klipschs.

Fosmosis

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:03 am »
I will definitely try moving the speakers away and see if that cleans up the sound. I see the Klipsch have a lot of potential, and was hoping to make a solid vintage two channel bookshelf system with the pro-ject table. The Pioneer drives then well, but, as we all experience,  I know it could improve. Anyone have experience, and gotten good results with the KG1s, or am I chasing sound that they are not capable of producing like rotarius suggested? I'd hate to throw a bunch of money at the Klipsch to have them come up underwhelming.  Thank you to all that have responded.