recording snob

Mr. Big

Re: recording snob
« Reply #40 on: 28 Sep 2021, 02:25 pm »
The Magazines tried to create a market and they sway audiophiles towards trends and towards those who pay to advertise, make no mistake that is their intent. They are now a major marketing tool. Having said that when MQA came out it was only a slightly different way to process, I knew from day one it was more hype than fact, but more importantly, SACD/DSD was a proven format that went nowhere and this is due to the one fact we as Audiophiles seem to forget we are a speck in consumer sales, so if 99.5% of buyers don't care about having a high-end system, and more so no disposable income due to family needs, education costs and so on, it's just not important when they can listen on portable devices, digital radio, XM/Sirus and of course cell phones, where buds and it's audio are good enough. They don't sit in front of 2 speakers any longer, it is not in their DNA. Audiophiles are a small hobbyist group who love music and building enjoyable systems, but today we see more and more marketing and cost directly related to the upper incomes on a whole and the reason is that is where sales are at. So high-end audio is killing itself slowly and as boomers pass on it will surely die from what it was in the past. It was a boomer-driven hobby, like hod-rods and racing cars and collecting albums and music.   

dallaire1

« Reply #41 on: 28 Sep 2021, 09:47 pm »
Very interesting Mr. Big, lots of very valid points.

dallaire1

« Reply #42 on: 28 Sep 2021, 09:52 pm »
Those YouTube videos about said it all regarding MQA. What a bunch of marketing B.S. I really won't mind "not" getting all the Hip-Hop "exclusively" thrown in my face. That was kind of a rant of mine regarding Tidal. 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #43 on: 29 Sep 2021, 02:50 pm »
My decision was Qobuz streamed through ROON.  Why?  Using ROON was the easiest way to stream from my music server to my DAC (exaSoundS88) to my Amplifier (Parasound Halo A52+) to my X3 speakers.  I listen mostly to Classical and some Jazz/Blues.  Most of my music is purchased high resolution multichannel (5.0) albums via download.  This can get very expensive.  So, streaming from Qobuz lets me sample albums if I'm thinking of buying the album, or simply having the album available.  My Qobuz selections are usually 2.0 channel at 24/96-192.  Good enough for streaming.  Is the album mastered at this resolution or is Qobuz simply upsampling a CD?  I do not know.  But, for my purposes, it is good enough.  No problems for me with Qobuz.

I dedicated a thread over at the classical music circle specifically to list for members the highest quality recorded/mastered classical music I could find so a listener could hear what high resolution sounds like in their system.  These are all digital, not vinyl.  All selections are available on Qobuz.
 https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177443.0.

Marcus

dallaire1

« Reply #44 on: 29 Sep 2021, 08:46 pm »
Sounds like a good way to go Desertpilot  :thumb: I am really enjoying Qobuz myself ! just have to ditch Tidal now, before next billing cycle. Still blows my mind there is a real (not perceived) audible difference when doing A/B comparisons. My integrated amp has a setting called "smart gain" as do others I'm sure, so it plays all songs at the set level on the volume knob, and will make necessary changes to volume of individual tracks accordingly. Invaluable for A/B comparisons cause I always gravitate to the louder recording as better at first listen.   

dallaire1

« Reply #45 on: 2 Oct 2021, 12:00 pm »

Hey guys, this is my in room response with the intended Dirac curve and the untouched curve at the MLP. Tangram, you had said you thought tweeters can be a bit hot on the M3's on some recordings. I have experienced the same, you can see in the screen shot of Dirac the bit of a shelf at 3K-5K. A solid 2-3db, this is why I engage Dirac Live. it corrects for this area. I have looked at the Peerless frequency response graph and this shelf does not exist so one could assume this is caused by my room interactions or  possible edge diffraction as the driver unit is not obviously tested in the M3 but instead at Peerless labs. Hope this helps you maybe find the right filter if you end up correcting for it, if its even similar in your situation. The dip at 200hz is what it is, again boundary cancelation.