Seeking opinions on cartridge alignment protocols

djpk

Seeking opinions on cartridge alignment protocols
« on: 20 Aug 2021, 03:26 am »
I recently ordered a new Mobile Fidelity UltraDeck turntable with a pre-mounted Mobile Fidelity Ultra Tracker cartridge. This application is set from the factory with the Lofgren B cartridge alignment. In a conversation I had a few months ago with the owner of KAB USA he mentioned that he recommends the Stevenson alignment and U-Turn Turntables pre-mount their cartridges using Lofgren A. I've read the general descriptions on the various alignments where Lofgren A has the lowest peak distortion, Lofgren B has the lowest average distortion across the record, and Stevenson has the lowest distortion toward the inside of the record. I'm interested in the opinions of AC members here on which alignment is preferred and why.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Seeking opinions on cartridge alignment protocols
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2021, 08:06 am »
Well, I think those who listens vinyl usually are not worried about the lowest distortion, Iam a digital guy and also arent worried with low DHT.

IMO less distortion doesnt mean better sound as currently the distortion of these so-called hi-fi cartridges are already low and the variables in a vinyl system are many.

I cant say which adjusting system I could choose without listening to all the options, however due to the finitude inherent in this format I think vinyl wear is more important than a bit lower distortion, so I could choose the setting that would offers the least wear.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2021, 08:42 am »
I have heard of classical fans choosing to use Stevenson as it’s biased towards the inner groove. Since most classical music often have crescendos towards the inner grooves.

Me personally I use Baerwald.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2021, 11:45 am »
I always use the Lofgren B in any tables that can reach it (slot length dependent). It has the farthest overhang, therefore, the lowest offset angle of the 3 major alignments. Baerwald (Lofgren A) is my second choice.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2021, 11:57 am »
Here's a great chart from Michael Fremer with the attending article explaining it.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/uni-din-versus-l%C3%B6fgren-b-just-clarify

djpk

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2021, 10:06 pm »
Here's a great chart from Michael Fremer with the attending article explaining it.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/uni-din-versus-l%C3%B6fgren-b-just-clarify

What a great article! And the comments associated with the article are interesting as well. Michael Fremer states at the end of the article, "Keep in mind that compared to the distortions added by the rest of your system, my opinion is that all of these curves produce less."

It seems another variable to consider would be tonearm length. A lot of turntables I see come with 9 inch arms, my UltraDeck has a 10 inch arm, and I think the Schiit Audio Sol had a 12 inch arm.

qdrone

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2021, 02:26 am »
I just had a Hana uUmami Red installed on my 2nd Generation Oracle Delphi /Graham Phantom  ll  arm and paid extra for a Mint LP protractor that is custom made for my table/arm combination. For the 1st time owning a turntable the 1st song is just as crystal clear as the last song. It is a pain to do which is why I had Brian Berdan at Audio Element use it.  :thumb:

djbnh

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2021, 01:34 pm »
I recently ordered a new Mobile Fidelity UltraDeck turntable with a pre-mounted Mobile Fidelity Ultra Tracker cartridge. This application is set from the factory with the Lofgren B cartridge alignment. In a conversation I had a few months ago with the owner of KAB USA he mentioned that he recommends the Stevenson alignment and U-Turn Turntables pre-mount their cartridges using Lofgren A. I've read the general descriptions on the various alignments where Lofgren A has the lowest peak distortion, Lofgren B has the lowest average distortion across the record, and Stevenson has the lowest distortion toward the inside of the record. I'm interested in the opinions of AC members here on which alignment is preferred and why.
The Vinyl Engine is a good place for this discussion, and there's a thread there re: similar question. Enjoy your purchase, nice kit! :thumb: