Passive Preamp on the way!

JeffB

« Reply #40 on: 24 Mar 2005, 06:01 pm »
Well, actually I think that might be a bit of a problem.  If you switch from your Home Theatre Receiver to your DVD player and you forget to flip the switch, then you're going to send a full 2V signal to the amplifier.  You might be deaf before you can reach over and flip the switch.

Other than that it seems like a great idea.

yertletheturtle

« Reply #41 on: 25 Mar 2005, 03:37 am »
Quote from: JeffB
Well, actually I think that might be a bit of a problem.  If you switch from your Home Theatre Receiver to your DVD player and you forget to flip the switch, then you're going to send a full 2V signal to the amplifier.  You might be deaf before you can reach over and flip the switch.

Other than that it seems like a great idea.

I agree.  better to have a dedicated HT input which is not volume controlled.  otherwise having the switch which Vinnie described is equivelant to just turning up the volume to Max (or a predetermined point) when wanting "bypass" mode.  this is always an option with any pre-amp without a HT bypass.  the point of the bypass has to be to have the volume out of the loop for a dedicated input, without having to flip a switch

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #42 on: 26 Mar 2005, 03:27 pm »
Quote from: yertletheturtle
I agree.  better to have a dedicated HT input which is not volume controlled.  otherwise having the switch which Vinnie described is equivelant to just turning up the volume to Max (or a predetermined point) when wanting "bypass" mode.  this is always an option with any pre-amp without a HT bypass.  the point of the bypass has to be to have the volume out of the loop for a dedicated input, without having to flip a switch

Hi Yertle,

Using the switch is NOT equivelant to turning the volume to the MAX.  Yes, turning the volume up to the MAX will give you full volume, but will also present a 10k load (I'll be using a 10k stepped attenuator) to your source.  The HT bypass switch idea that I mention completely bypasses the stepped attenuator, thus presenting no load.

However, I completely understand what you and Jeff say about the switch being a bad thing if you forget to turn it OFF and get full output to the amp.  This will wake you up in the morning if you leave the switch on after watching a late night movie!   :o    :lol:     Yes, one of the inputs can be dedicated for the HT bypass mode.  Let me think about this some more...

Again, the HT bypass will be a custom mod option to the Puri-T.  I don't think there will be many customers who will be using it with a home theater setup, true?

Thanks for all your valuable feedback!

JeffB

« Reply #43 on: 26 Mar 2005, 06:37 pm »
Well, I don't know what other people would prefer, but if I buy a Puri-T I'll want the HT bypass.  I am just going to connect it to my TV.  My TV has a volume control on its external output.  This way I can use the mute and volume on the remote while watching TV and listening to the music channels.  Although at this point, there is probably enough sound degradation that bypassing the volume control might not even be noticeable.  But hey, every little bit helps.

scotbuck

« Reply #44 on: 3 Apr 2005, 03:01 pm »
Greetings,

Is there a chance the Puri-T could include an RIAA phono stage?  That really would complete the picture!   :wink:

Take care,
Scott

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #45 on: 15 Apr 2005, 02:27 am »
All,

I finally received all the parts to get crackin' on the Puri-T Passive Preamps!  :hyper:

For those who already placed an order, they should ship out by the end of next week.  

I appreciate your patience, and hope you will find the Puri-T to be well worth the wait  :P

Sincerely,

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
The Puri-T's are here!
« Reply #46 on: 24 Apr 2005, 10:00 pm »
All,

The first Puri-T Passive Preamps shipped out last Friday.  They are now an official Red Wine Audio product  8)  

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Puri_T.html

Regards,