Drivers from original Linkwitz Orion

mkriggs

Drivers from original Linkwitz Orion
« on: 6 Jul 2021, 07:20 pm »
Howdy Everyone,

I have a full set of drivers from a pair of original Linkwitz Orion speakers that my dad had built.  Very (very) sadly he passed away and I inherited them.  I don't want the speakers and already disposed of the enclosures (years ago), but I have all of the drivers and am wondering what the heck to do with them.  The speakers were only played once(!), so the drivers are essentially brand new and have just been sitting in their boxes for a long time.  Wife is telling me they have to go!

Specifically, the drivers are 4x Peerless XLS 10" 830452 woofers, 2x Seas Excel Millennium T25CF002 tweeters, and 2x W22EX001 midranges.

Any project ideas?  Thinking to just sell them, as I really don't have space for new pair of speakers, but not sure where or how.

Thanks!

...Mike

JohnR

Re: Drivers from original Linkwitz Orion
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2021, 10:23 am »
Drivers are hard to sell, so be realistic with your expectations on what you'd get. Since you have the boxes you can ship, so try eBay, diyaudio.com, parts express tech talk forum, and of course the trading post here after you have a couple more posts under your belt. If not, maybe craigslist or similar.

I suppose the big question is where are the crossovers? If you have those maybe you can sell as a complete lot.

mkriggs

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2021, 11:35 am »
Thanks for your inputs, appreciated.  I am not looking to get a lot of money for them, rather, more than anything I want to see them go to good use instead of just gathering dust in my storage room.  The other possibility would be to use them for my own project, but I have no clue what that would be (I might be able to convince the wife  :wink: )

And I do not have the crossovers, lost in the estate chaos after my dad passed.  Anyway, Orion an active crossover system, quite complex, and I think the design had evolved over the years (Linkwitz made changes).  So maybe not so useful.  Rather to say, trying to "re-create" original Orion maybe not the best approach, better to start from scratch with something different.

Anyway, for sure I will try the other sites you mentioned to sell them (assuming I can't come up with my own DIY design using them, which is unlikely).  Thanks again!

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2021, 02:09 pm »
If you want to build a speaker, here's a design using the same woofer and tweeter:

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=384:trym-seas-diy-kits&catid=66:seas-diy-kits&Itemid=365

Then make the 10" drivers into subs.