Alone series on History.com - my latest addiction

WGH

Alone series on History.com - my latest addiction
« on: 25 Jun 2021, 11:34 pm »

The premise is simple, take 10 highly experienced survival experts, drop them off in the middle of nowhere with a 10 essential items (no guns), 50 lbs of GoPro camera gear, a Sat Phone, and see who survives longest. No camera crew and no help if you get hurt, use the phone to "Tap Out" when you have had enough. The contestants are tough and extreme survivalists and some only last a week. Can you last a week eating only roots and berries without poisoning yourself while building a shelter for the upcoming winter? Catching game or fish is iffy at best even though it is plentiful.

https://play.history.com/shows/alone

History has all the seasons for free. Amazon Prime also streams all the seasons. I'm currently on Season 7, survive 100 days and win $1,000,000. A friend thinks Season 7 is the best so that is where I started. I'm also watching the new Season 8: Grizzly Mountain filmed in the Canadian wilderness on the shores of Chilko Lake, British Columbia - a location with one of the densest grizzly bear populations on earth.

Season 7

Watching the show I can understand how the early American colonies barely survived in a land of plenty. The Starving Time at Jamestown in the Colony of Virginia was a period of starvation during the winter of 1609–1610. There were about 500 Jamestown residents at the beginning of the winter. However, there were only 61 people still alive when the spring arrived.

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Alone series on History.com - my latest addiction
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2021, 12:47 am »
Gonna check this out. I wonder by how their expected life span is affected by this behavior?

WGH

Re: Alone series on History.com - my latest addiction
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2021, 01:03 am »
They all loose 20% of their body weight in the first 50 days. If they can't catch fish for fat then all they have to eat is the lean game they catch, their bodies go into ketosis.