Tube Connectors - Lack of Locking

penguinpages

• penguinpages
Re: Tube Connectors - Lack of Locking
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2021, 01:39 am »

seeing as my tubes I drilled in.. box is made.... can that be the new standard? :)

it really is a good design and idea.  I like the updated flatter design as it gives more "meat" to the screw part.. so as it is plastic it would last  longer duty cycle.

Anyone have a 3D printer friend?   If not.. I will go scrounge for one and post to group.

Most people like me put posts in at various random distances.. so that would be the variable that would need customization.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2021, 01:59 am »
In looking at the spacing of dual binding posts it seems like the industry standard is 3/4" center to center.

Chewbacca

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2021, 03:49 am »
I think I have a better idea:

Make and mount a hat channel on the back of your speaker (doesn't even need to be permanent... could use some good 3M tape) that you insert some expandable plastic/rubber grommets that are right on top of your tube connectors. Push your speaker wire through, and it will act as a one way tensioner until you pull it out with some force. It won't just slide out like some are having the problem of.

https://www.amazon.com/Expandable-Locking-Plastic-Grommets-Opening/dp/B07LDPZDWW

I'm sure this isn't the best grommet for the application. But you get the idea.

Could even just use a block of wood drilled with two Ø5/8" holes (or whatever size grommet you get) @ the 3/4" on center. :duh: EZPZ

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2021, 05:47 pm »
Ugh. Typed up my response than accidently backed out trying to attach photo and now starting over.  I'm such a rookie sometimes. Here's drawing first.

My first thought was that I could get this sliding clip printed up and available to people pretty easily but then I remembered how little I enjoy the look and texture of cheaply printed 3d items, which leaves option of more expensive printing or hand finishing, adding time and money.

My alternate proposal is to cut these from hard wood, maple or walnut.  I know it's my own bias, but if I were going to add this item potentially to a pair of $1000 speakers, clear stained maple or walnut is a much richer look than the texture of 3d filament.

I was tempted to draw this digitally in sketchup hoping someone might be impressed but I didn't want to kick my daughter off the computer and of course paper is faster so hopefully you can read my handwriting.  My proposed prototype would be using only a single centered screw slot for tightening to the cabinet. With the sliding lock dropping down from above and resting against the male tube connectors, a single screw adjustment is plenty and easier to adjust than dual screws. If I were to cut these and make them available I would supply them with a single brass screw, maybe I can find one with a thumbnut type of head so no tool needed to adjust, but of course the installer could use higher end methods such as imbedding a single threaded stud if desired. I'd leave the contact edge flat which would still engage with the post and secure it without any concern for spacing.  The installer however could notch for the posts at their specific spacing if they wanted it to nest deeper.

An almost imperceptible slight bevel or arch on the back edge that rests against the cabinet, slightly thicker away from the tube connectors and slightly thinner against the posts, would allow for auto adjustment to any small variation in mounting depths of the female connectors.  The thickest edge away from the connectors would act as a fulcrum and the screw would give that slight tension to hold it in place, very little force is needed. Gravity holds the sliding clip against the binding posts and the single screw is just enough resistance to keep the adaptors from backing out unintentionally. Ideally, the screw would be adjusted to the point that with the tube connectors in place the sliding clip would barely have friction against the connectors and it would manually slide up and down over the connectors as needed and the screw would never need to be touched or adjusted. A thumb swipe up against the clip slides it up as needed to release or insert the posts. And there would be no change of the screw ever needed after the initial install, so a simple round-head brass screw or nut would be plenty and unintrusive. It's also far enough from the connectors I doubt there is any real concern for it to cause interference.

This is all very doable and not complicated. The benefit of group think. Im not sure how broadspread the desire would be.  Maybe 5 people would want to add something like this, maybe 50, who knows?  Id be willing to make some up if needed or I'd be willing to determine some precise dimensions if someone else wanted to take the lead and make some.  Im open to just about anything. Whoever makes these up would truly be doing so as a service.  Even someone paying a few dollars of cost plus a few dollars of shipping, there's no money to be made, but if there's enough interest and nobody else volunteers I'm willing to make them available.

Elon.

ezeescrossovers.com

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2021, 06:43 pm »
For the record I also like Chewbacca's idea a lot, in the previous post.   The push through grommets would give that tiny bit of friction resistance needed.  No adjustments or maintenance needed, the user would only have to match spacing of connector to the spacing of the bracket. Looks like a very good permanent solution also, but probably more suited to new installs than to a retrofit.  I think both are very good long term solutions that after some time in the market would seem pretty mainstream.  The form factor of Chewbacca's idea would also be more suited to something like a custom amplifier with multiple connections in closer vecinity.

The way that Chewbacca's design could be modified to work as retrofit would be to manufacture as individual units, one per connector.  Instead of having outbound wings as securement an inbound u-bracket would slide over the tube connector before its pressed into the cabinet hole.  The bracket hole would be same size as cabinet hole.  The standoff for the grommet would be held in place by the tube connector itself.  It would be a very clean install.  Chewbacca can you draw that up? You know exactly what I'm trying to explain.

Elon

Jaytor

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2021, 07:50 pm »
I like Chewbacca's idea as well. There really isn't any reason why these couldn't be split so that you had one grommet and holder per tube connector. This would allow then to be used with arbitrary spacing between connectors.

For my amp installs, I usually use a nylon shaft collar which has an outside diameter of 7/8" so this sets the spacing.

https://www.mcmaster.com/60475K71/

g3rain1

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2021, 01:21 am »
The simplest solution would be If the female end had a quarter twist lock inset into the plastic end and the male end had a pegs protruding from it.

richidoo

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jun 2021, 02:09 am »
Pull the positive and negative pins together with an elastic band and the friction will increase so they dont move.
A rubber band could be wrapped around them but it will eventually break when the rubber oxidizes.
A better solution is a synthetic rubber o-ring, like buna n, designed to resist oxidation, and it still gives ~300% elongation.
Formula for the Oring size:

O-ring ID = 2 * distance between holes / pi

With the ID use this chart to find the oring size
https://www.allorings.com/O-Ring-AS568-Standard-Size-Chart
Use .070 (1/16”) cross section for easier stretch. You dont need much pressure

If the distance is 0.75” the o-ring size is “014” which has ID of 0.489”. 
on Amazon
Group buy?  :icon_lol:

Doublej

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jun 2021, 03:52 pm »
One of these strategically located on the back of each speaker below the tube connectors should enable you to relieve the weight of the cable and prevent it from sliding out.

https://www.jetpress.com/component-and-fastener-products/twist-wire-tie-self-adhesive

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 20 Jun 2021, 04:50 pm »
Often times, the simplest is the best. Doublej's adhesive twist-tie is a very solid solution, for a retrofit on speaker.  I suppose for a cabinet with low mounted connectors, it could be used at an angle, on side, above, depending how the cable most naturally wanted to lay.

I also do still think that Chewbacca's design, modified to a single connector, with bracket retained by the tube connector itself is elegant enough to look at place on an amplifier or speaker.

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jun 2021, 05:32 pm »
One of these strategically located on the back of each speaker below the tube connectors should enable you to relieve the weight of the cable and prevent it from sliding out.

https://www.jetpress.com/component-and-fastener-products/twist-wire-tie-self-adhesive

Great idea. You can buy them here:

https://www.amazon.com/White-Nylon-Self-Adhesive-Twist-Holder/dp/B074N19DZH/ref=sr_1_44?dchild=1&keywords=jet+press+twist+wire+tie&qid=1624210140&sr=8-44

Glenng78

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jun 2021, 01:39 am »
You wouldn’t happen to be using an older female end with a newer male end , would you ?
I had a pair of xls encores I built approx 2-3 years ago with tube connectors, and I used the make ends on cheap sneaker wire and they fit perfect.
Fast forward too a few months ago I built one of the speaker wire kits , and used the male ends that came with the kit. Those male ends do not fit right and it looks like what you have going on there. I called Danny and he made good on it.

penguinpages

• penguinpages
« Reply #32 on: 22 Jun 2021, 03:15 pm »

Both sets of tube connectors are first / native builds and purchased with speaker kits.. so if they do not fit as snug as they are suppose to bet.. it is not my change.

That is why I posted this, as I wanted to see "if it was just me" or others have this issue... Seems others have issue also.   And for $60 per tube pair...  $2 more for a plastic holder / sleeve, seems to be a good investment to add into kit.

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jun 2021, 03:59 pm »
We have had some issue with how tight the new ones grab.

They can be tightened up before installing them. You can work you way around them with a pair of pliers giving them a light squeeze and it will tighten them up.

Then when you insert them if the hole is the right size then you have to tap them in with a small hammer. That further squeezes them.

If the drill hole is too big then it doesn't help squeeze down on them and they tend to get a little loose over time.

So make sure you holes (for the female end) is tight.

And we are working on a way to increase how hard the grab.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 22 Jun 2021, 05:32 pm »

They can be tightened up before installing them. You can work you way around them with a pair of pliers giving them a light squeeze and it will tighten them up.

Then when you insert them if the hole is the right size then you have to tap them in with a small hammer. That further squeezes them.

If the drill hole is too big then it doesn't help squeeze down on them and they tend to get a little loose over time.

I find using an 11mm bit rather than 7/16" to drill the holes works very well. 11MM is 0.005" smaller (0.433" vs 0.438") which gives a tighter fit.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jun 2021, 08:06 pm »

Hi Danny, is it possible to order just the male portion set of the tube connectors?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 22 Jun 2021, 08:21 pm »
Hi Danny, is it possible to order just the male portion set of the tube connectors?

Yup! We just got about 2000 or so of them in yesterday. Feel free to shoot us an email or give us a call.   :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jun 2021, 09:06 pm »
Yup! We just got about 2000 or so of them in yesterday. Feel free to shoot us an email or give us a call.   :thumb:

Sweet, just sent a message. Thanks man!

Tinear1

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jun 2021, 09:40 pm »
Looks like multiple creative solutions however, being a Lean Manufacturing Engineer that is always looking for the most simple & effective solution... one could with a pair of pliers ever so lightly make the male connector out of round IE: very slightly oval.  This will increase the fit friction into the female connector... and done!   :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #39 on: 22 Jun 2021, 11:14 pm »
Looks like multiple creative solutions however, being a Lean Manufacturing Engineer that is always looking for the most simple & effective solution... one could with a pair of pliers ever so lightly make the male connector out of round IE: very slightly oval.  This will increase the fit friction into the female connector... and done!   :thumb:

Seems simple enough. A long term solution is to improve the design to make it twist lockable similar to speakon connectors.