Re: M165-NQ woofers & other updates!
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jun 2021, 02:54 am »
Uff, Yeah that's what I feared.  :cry:
What will be the best time to call? I am two hours behind you guys in TX

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2021, 03:07 am »
Mornings after 10am CST, that way we can figure out your status and get it out the door before end of the day, assuming parts aren't the hold-up.

The main reason is just to halt any "new" orders, at least until the updates are made, esp since each model will require an updated crossover, cut sheet & the like.

So there's no worries if you put your order in already.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jun 2021, 08:25 pm »
Ill need to ask Danny. I know a version of the MTM is currently being developed as a center channel, but I'm not sure if that will become a regular product or a one-off design.
I'll try to asking him tonight or tomorrow to see what the plan is for the MTM model, if it will become a regular product or stay an "upon request" sort of thing.

Also: Now that the majority of rhe A/V series has officially reached "End of Life" status and will be updated over the coming weeks.

Early results from a couple current prototypes have been very promising, more details will be coming once we have a couple models ready to show off! :thumb:

For the time being, their pictures will remain on the site, but they can no longer be purchased.

I should clarify:
Only the A/V Series kits are being discontinued.
They are in the process of being updated & rebranded. They will be slowly rolled back out as we work thru the cabinet & crossover design changes.

https://www.gr-research.com/av-series.html

That said there are currently no plans to change the current X or NX series kits.

Sorry for the confusion! :duh:

RonP

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jun 2021, 08:29 pm »
Hobbs,

You're the updates man now. It's your new job.  :D

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jun 2021, 01:07 am »
Hobbs,

You're the updates man now. It's your new job.  :D
I'm going to be wearing many hats now.. :P

As for the NX-MTM monitor, Danny is still of the opinion that the NX-Otica is still the better option, but he has some ideas for a hybrid model using the 8" Subs instead of the 4 M165 woofers. But that's still a fair ways off for now.

As it stands now, the MTMs are still on-request only, esp while we're busy with the changes coming to the A/V series, trying to ship out the backlogged NX orders..

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jun 2021, 01:32 am »
Any hints re: how the new AV line will be different than the old AV line?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #26 on: 12 Jun 2021, 03:29 am »
X-Omni pricing can be updated.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jun 2021, 09:58 pm »
Any hints re: how the new AV line will be different than the old AV line?

If ya haven't watched Ron's interview with Danny, there's a hint in the last quarter of the video. :wink:

https://youtu.be/cWFZgQBw0dI

dryan01uk

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2021, 09:57 am »
X-Omni pricing can be updated.

Awesome - the $5,000 kit is just a bit daunting .....  :(

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2021, 01:13 pm »
Awesome - the $5,000 kit is just a bit daunting .....  :(

Its just a placeholder price. It should be much closer to the cost of the X-LS & SLS. You'll have to call Danny for the actual price.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2021, 06:35 pm »
NoRez:
Weve got a MASSIVE order of Norez arriving tomorrow morning. Nearly a full truck load.
Any order that was already shipped but didn't have NoRez in the order will be shipped ASAP.
(That includes most NX series orders that were shipped within in the last week)
So please be patient while we get those out to you.  :thumb:

NX Orders:
Were doing our best to get these out as fast as possible, but there are a couple hold-ups..

NX Studio orders are awaiting inductors, as well as foil inductors as an up coming upgrade.

The mids on The Otica/Extreme are currently being held up by capacitors, we just got restocked on those foil inductors so that let us get 3 orders out the door today.

The 8Ohm M165 drivers need to be duratexed, and each batch of 24 takes a full day to prep, paint and cure. And the Otica uses 8 of them, so we're blowing thru them really quickly.
So that will cause some small delays.

All pre-paid NX orders are fulfulled. Currently we're going thru the hand-written orders that have payment info.

Those of you on the waiting/wish list, expect an email over the next couple weeks so we can get your info and get it shipped to you asap! :thumb:

Thanks!
-Hobbs

Chewbacca

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jun 2021, 06:48 pm »
NoRez:

All pre-paid NX orders are fulfulled. Currently we're going thru the hand-written orders that have payment info.

Hi Hobbs, so if I ordered NX-Oticas about 2 months ago via the website and already paid, everything should be on the way? :icon_lol: or are they still being held up by capacitors like you said?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jun 2021, 07:43 pm »
Should be! Only one partial order is awaiting caps, but its hand written. DM me your name & order number and ill let you know the status.

Chewbacca

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2021, 08:52 pm »
Should be! Only one partial order is awaiting caps, but its hand written. DM me your name & order number and ill let you know the status.

Will do! Thanks!

cjsailer

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2021, 10:00 pm »
Thanks for these updates Hobbs.  Why do the M165 need duratex for?  Do they come from the factory just bare steel?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jun 2021, 01:36 am »
Thanks for these updates Hobbs.  Why do the M165 need duratex for?  Do they come from the factory just bare steel?

The nickel plating on the back of the woofers wasn't very well done, so it started oxidizing and the magnet structure (not the magnet itself) started developing rust spots to varying degrees.
So we duratex the backs to help prevent any further issues, and it makes them look a lot better, esp in open baffle models like the NX Otica. It mostly seems to affect the current batch of 8 ohm woofers.
The new batch of 1000 M165 woofers, that should be arriving in the next month or so, & will eliminate that issue.

Tho the trick is to put enough duratex on them to cover the whole structure, but not so much is cracks from drying unevenly...
But I think we've gotten it down to a science now.

I have a batch of woofers that just got their 2nd coat 45 min ago & that'll be curing tonight, and I'll complete another batch of woofers tomorrow, once we get all the Norez delivered and put away.
Should be enough to get us thru till next week.

subsonic1050

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm »
Hey, just wanting to see where the orders are at for the NX-treme's? It seems those were sort of the last ones that were going out, but I was expecting to see my card charged on Monday or Tuesday. Just wanting to make sure that my order isn't lost in the crazy shuffle over there! Maybe a quick update on orders would be nice for me and anyone else still waiting.

Thanks!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 24 Jun 2021, 11:14 pm »
There's several orders still, some were mailed out, others have been picked up in person.

I believe right now we're waiting for Sonicaps for the tweeter circuit, same goes for the NX studio.

We finally got all of our inductors in that we desperately needed for the Studios and X-LS today, but those caps are gunna hold us back for at least another week... :duh:

The never ending struggle.. lol

subsonic1050

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jun 2021, 11:33 pm »
Thanks for the update Hobbs! I'm so anxious to get started on these things!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 1 Jul 2021, 12:50 am »
Oops, check next page for updates: