Rethinking my Sources with a SWL 9.0SE?

merc

« on: 16 Mar 2005, 05:10 am »
Okay... if I assume that I am going to get this preamp from Dan, and my previous sources were all carefully chosen and rolled to give me the sonic qualities that I want, at my ear... are things gonna change once I put the SWL in the trace?

For example, up until now I am using ALL SS stuff except for my sources which are all either tube outputed, or analogue at the source.

Starting with the digital Multichannel/Redbook Uniplayer, should I try a SS unit like the Denon 3910 before I have someone like Dan tube it's output stage?

Does the SWL have enough of the tubed qualities, but not too much, which I love in order to just go with an SS uniplayer source?

What CD or SACD or DVD-A players are you all using with your SWLs?

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Take Care,
merc

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2005, 01:56 pm »
Mine are all referred to in the SWL feedback thread (Modwright 999ES Platinum SACD/redbook, Technics A10 DVD-A).  The "additive" questions you are asking are addressed in that thread.  The SWL is a great preamp for many reasons, but the best reason for me is that it sounds 3d like tubes, a slight cozy warm sound (not dull) like tubes, and incredibly dynamic and fast like ss.  

Ted

John B

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2005, 08:01 pm »
Merc,

So this is where you're hanging out these days  :)  Thinking about getting an SWL hey.  In regards to your question about tube tonality, it's very detailed, with lots of air and openness.  It would be a good match for most components, as it's one of those dead center neutral devices that reveals the nature of your upstream and downstream components, adding little of it's own.   Compared to my other tube pre-amp, it sounds positively SS, but with the good characteristics of tubes added to the flavor.

hlopato

Modwright Linestage 9.0SE
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2005, 09:13 pm »
I absolutely concur.  The 9.0SE replaced Dan's beta unit and nothing else was changed, even all of the cables were identical.  When the SE went into the mix the sound was tremendously improved, bass was deeper and tighter, the depth of the sound image increased dramatically, and the overall integration of the sound was wonderful.  I have an SCD1 (unmodded) as my front end and the SACDs are even better than before the SE.

I really can't say enough good things about Dan's work.

Hope this helps.

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2005, 09:16 pm »
Tube rolling the critter is a joy too.  I've tried a ton of 'em.  I like the stock JAN Phillips best for utter neutrality and Tung Sols for a little more "tube" and punch.  Sylvania GB's are very smooth and silky if things are too aggressive.  Didn't like Amperex 7119 (too bright) or GE 7044 (too dull) in my system.

I'm using a Modwright Music Hall CD-25 and it's stellar but I bet this pre, especially with its rolling (tuning) options will play very nicely with whatever you've got.  I liken the sound of the pre to keeping the dimension of tubes without the overt colorations.

Of course, it's always fun to buy new stuff!

John B

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2005, 11:40 pm »
Didn't like Amperex 7119 (too bright) or GE 7044 (too dull) in my system.

I wonder how the Amperex's will fair in my system...I have some on order.  I tried some Sylvania's, which I thought gave the SWL some sparkle in the highs, but my friend who heard the change, said he liked the Philips better.  Could be the right tube for this preamp is the one's that's in there from the start  :)

miklorsmith

Tung Sols
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2005, 07:26 pm »
Definitely try some Tung-Sols.  I talked to Dan about his JAN Phillips choice  and he said plentiful supply was a criteria.  Not that they aren't great, because they really are.  Their neutrality/dimension is killer.  Also, I think they are the best choice (of the flavors I know) to start with

I personally think the Tung-Sol 5687's are even better.  They are a little noisier but they add some "tube love" that I think is a little lacking in the JAN Phillips.  They also have more pop.  I found the Sylvanias a little bland for my system, but they are Very Smooth and might just be the perfect ticket for a dynamic setup.

Dan used Tung Sols in his beta units so I have a plentiful supply.  They are killer.

Dan?