Good morning from Lampasas, Texas

doodle6

Good morning from Lampasas, Texas
« on: 1 Jun 2021, 03:56 pm »
I registered for this site some time ago, but never got around to any participation due to excessive amount of time chasing equipment.  Who is shocked by THAT?  Old guy who's been doing this stuff for almost six decades.  I was using separate components, crappy ones, from about 1966.  My first big audio lust was for the system of older sister's boyfriend, a Dynaco ST-70 with Weathers turntable and Dynaco speakers.  It's taken me this long to finally score it!  I am putting the final touches on a reference standard ST-70 system.  Tech went through the amp and PAS3 preamp and checked every component for correct values, replaced as needed, plus NOS high quality tubes and complete recapping.  I found a pair of unused A-25 speakers, still in their boxes.  Haven't got the electronics back for setup, but I'm already having second thoughts.  Don't know if I am worthy of running these speakers for their first time.  Anyway, this system should sound exactly as David Hafler intended with every bit of the circuitry intact and unmodified, and all components with correct values.  I have another ST-70 system that's running, alternatively, JBL L-220s, JBL L-300s, JBL Project Array 1400s.  Eleven pairs of speakers are set up in/out of my house, all connected by Bluesound Nodes.  Went from that early infatuation with Dynaco tubes to Heathkits through the '70s and early '80s.  Even though Heath quit the audio kit business in the mid '80s, I continued to listen to them until the end of the '90s when I finally bought a digital HT receiver.  That was short-lived, and within a few years, I went back to vintage analog 2-channel audio and have been there ever since.  I have a McIntosh HT system but I've never set it up.  Just don't care about that stuff.  Big speaker fan.  Got up to about 150 pairs at one time.  Today, I probably have 25-35 pairs.  Hard to keep track of them.  Currently set up are JBL L-110, L-220, L-300, Project Array 1400, Everest DD67000, Control 30 (outside), ProAc Response 2s, ProAc Response 2.5, Revel Salon 2, BMR Philharmonitor.  My kids don't have any serious interest in this stuff so I'm going to have to get rid of a lot of it before too much longer.  I have another two dozen pairs of speakers, maybe more, including two pairs of JBL 4350, three pairs of 4343, three pairs of L-300, one pair of DD67000 in the Ferrari red automotive finish.  This is what happens after all the kids have left home, and if your wife doesn't throw a choke collar on you or send you for therapy.

Blackmore

Re: Good morning from Lampasas, Texas
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2021, 05:10 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

Norman Tracy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2021, 05:55 pm »
Welcome to the circle doodle6.

You my friend know how to have fun with HiFi.

When those L-300s are offered my bank account (and marriage) will be in grave danger.

Regarding your comment:

"I found a pair of unused A-25 speakers, still in their boxes.  Haven't got the electronics back for setup, but I'm already having second thoughts.  Don't know if I am worthy of running these speakers for their first time."

My humble opinion is such lovingly restored Dynaco is the perfect way to bring your A-25s out of their long slumber.

One thing I find interesting about the A-25 is SEAS was the original supplier of drivers for them, modern production of very similar drivers has made possible the success of the A-25s grandchildren like the DeVore Fidelity O/93.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2021, 06:45 pm »
 Well Howdy Cowboy  Enjoy the talk. Great place to be.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2021, 10:37 pm »
Welcome to AC.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2021, 10:44 pm »
Welcome from Abilene.    I've been through Lampasas many times and always thought it was a pretty little town. 
Scott

doodle6

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2021, 10:51 pm »
Welcome to the circle doodle6.

You my friend know how to have fun with HiFi.

When those L-300s are offered my bank account (and marriage) will be in grave danger.

I have four pairs of the L-300s and my wife hasn't complained.  I had to give up one pair of 4350s several years ago because she insisted on being able to see the living room fireplace.

doodle6

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2021, 10:56 pm »
Welcome from Abilene.    I've been through Lampasas many times and always thought it was a pretty little town. 
Scott
Thanks for the welcoming posts, everyone.  And, yes, Lampasas is a nice little town with a lot of civic organizations and a tight social fabric.  Coming from the city to Lampasas, we were shocked at the polite behavior.  It's sorta like the Stepford Wives, but at 3 AM, the pillow speaker comes alive with, "Remember to say 'please' and 'thank you', excuse yourself often, wave and smile at everyone."  It was a little creepy at first, but wife and I both grew up in very small towns, so the adjustment was quick. 

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2021, 11:23 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2021, 11:37 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC doodle6   :thumb: