Spatial Audio dipoles: Room treatments and Measurements

abomwell

Re: Spatial Audio dipoles: Room treatments and Measurements
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2021, 04:30 pm »
Linkwitz Transform and Linkwitz Reilly are crossover networks I believe.

I have both J River and Roon installed in my server which both have EQ capabilities. I find I use Roon nowadays. My DSPeaker
Anti- mode X4 does room correction and also offers manual parametric EQ and us super easy to use.

Al

dallaire1

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2021, 09:42 pm »
I also like Acoustic Fields YouTube Video's Dennis really knows what he is talking about, obviously a well practiced acoustician. I also keep a copy of F. Alton Everest "Master Handbook of Acoustics" handy. Think I have now the 4th addition. Covers literally everything one would need to know to build and treat rooms using all passive methods.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2021, 11:20 pm »
I also like Acoustic Fields YouTube Video's Dennis really knows what he is talking about, obviously a well practiced acoustician. I also keep a copy of F. Alton Everest "Master Handbook of Acoustics" handy. Think I have now the 4th addition. Covers literally everything one would need to know to build and treat rooms using all passive methods.

Thanks for the book recommendation.  7th edition comes out in August.  The 6th edition is available for kindle at almost half price ($24.40).  I may pick up a copy.

Marcus

dallaire1

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2021, 01:29 am »
I think you will be impressed with all that has gone into it. I believe it to be the best source I could ever find, its been around for years. I will probably order the 7th edition then myself in August and compare to the fourth edition I currently have. After I build my pair of the GR Research subs to mate with the M3's, room treatment is going to be my ULTIMATE focus. I used to have a fully treated room years ago that followed the principles in the book and the result was amazing sonically. I had built several Quadradic Diffusors along with a series of Helmholtz tuned traps and of course absorption panels. The ultimate goal was to get frequencies across the board to decay in the room at the same rate as close as possible. Never achieved as it is against the laws of physics in just about any home listening space. But it did make a noticeable difference for sure. Everything I implemented was taken from the book.

Mr. Big

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2021, 01:46 pm »
I owned Quads Electrostatics, Dynaudio Confidence 5's, Legacy Focus, and today Spatial Audio Sapphires M3's. All of them were made better by the back wall having bass traps, and other smaller panels around the room, If I really wanted to go back as I once had was GIK side wall absorbers, but for looks, I've gone to canvas pictures to deaden the side walls a bit. ASC 8" by 48" panels on my walls around the room, even one of them right between the speakers behind the window blind, even taken that one away impacts the sound, and to show how important the back wall is, even turning the blinds in one direction or another will change the sound completely.  I found facing them upwards but not closed really helped imaging and body and looking at it the blinds are acting as a large diffuser. Your room is your sound, so treat it, and if I may say get racks and everything else away from in between your speakers if you can, have your amp on a stand and that is it, you will benefit by doing so. Even taking off the flux green plants on top of the bass traps hurts the sound and imaging from the speakers, the front wall is important to treat.

RonP

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2021, 01:55 pm »
I owned Quads Electrostatics, Dynaudio Confidence 5's, Legacy Focus, and today Spatial Audio Sapphires M3's.

I would be interested in seeing a write up with your comparisons of the M3's and the other. Especially the Legacy Focus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2021, 08:15 pm »
I posted the following message on the GIK Circle.  Posting here for feedback from Spatial Audio members.

"I have some GIK 6A diffusor/absorbers behind my Spatial Audio Lab X3s (along the front wall).  I believe they are very helpful, especially with the AMT tweeter.  My question is about the back wall.  The back wall is 30 feet back from the front wall and 25 feet back from the speaker baffles.  I know very low frequencies can reach 30 feet.  But what about all the other frequencies?  Don't they all die out before even hitting the back wall?

In other words, aren't bass traps the only acoustic panel I need on the back wall?  I really don't want to spend money on treatments I don't need."

Thanks, Marcus

abomwell

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2021, 09:03 pm »
Marcus, as they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat. One
approach is the live-end/dead-end (LEDE) method with the live end being the front of the room which should be diffusive, and absorption in the back which would be open or absorptive. This is the method that Linkwitz recommend.

Al

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2021, 09:45 pm »
Thanks Al, this is what I am thinking in my situation.

Marcus