Eminent Technology LFT-8b vs Spatial Audio Sapphire vs X5

RCduck7

Hi, i live in Europe and there isn't dealer of one of these speakers where i live. So, if I'm going to order one of these speakers it is going to be based on sound of youtube videos or recommendations. I already understood the Eminence lft-8b is an absolute bargain. I could get an impression of the Spatial Audio X5 and Sapphires. I slightly love the X5 more through my headphones. But the low price of the lft-8b and the certainty it will have sufficient bass because the woofer is in an enclosure could work for me. Did anyone heard both Eminence and Spatial Audio?

mick wolfe

Re: Eminent Technology LFT-8b vs Spatial Audio Sapphire vs X5
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:19 pm »
The Eminent Tech will be significantly less efficient probably requiring a fairly powerful solid state amp. The Spatial's open the door for a wider variety of amplifiers for sure. Unfortunately a case where you actually have to hear the speakers for yourself to make a decision. I don't think I'd base much on a YouTube video. I doubt you could go wrong with either choice especially if you already have an amplifier capable of driving the ET's.

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2021, 04:58 pm »
Power is not a problem, i have a Cherry Golden Marashino class D-amp that is 200 watt into 8 ohms and 400 into 4 ohms... The speakers i have rightnow us the Hyperion sound hps-938. The midrange comes close to the maggies. So I'm not sure they would be a lot better then the speakers I'm intrested in. But i did like the piano sound through the X5 a lot when i heard it.The lft-8b is cheap.

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2021, 05:51 pm »
I would be worried about the following with the LFT-8b:

"The speakers are not beamy horizontally as far as individual driver responses are concerned, but there is “lobing” between the midrange and tweeter on account of the broad overlap in frequency range from the shallow-slope crossovers and the side-by-side placement. (It would be preferable in principle to have two midrange panels on either side of the tweeter, it seems to me, to get a sort of horizontal MTM effect. This would stabilize the imaging.) In any case, the particular configuration here creates some imaging effects that are both not quite correct and also unstable with respect to head movements. You have to be really careful about where you sit and how you angle the speakers to avoid hearing the drivers as separate sources. Beware of careless audition: Exact set-up and exact listener position are crucial here. But if one sets up the speakers ideally—and doesn’t move!—this becomes much less of a problem."

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/eminent-technology-lft-8b-loudspeaker

Sounds like a complete headache to me, and recipe for never being fully satisfied with the sound.  You're not going to have the above problem with the Spatial speakers.

RCduck7

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2021, 07:11 pm »
I would be worried about the following with the LFT-8b:

"The speakers are not beamy horizontally as far as individual driver responses are concerned, but there is “lobing” between the midrange and tweeter on account of the broad overlap in frequency range from the shallow-slope crossovers and the side-by-side placement. (It would be preferable in principle to have two midrange panels on either side of the tweeter, it seems to me, to get a sort of horizontal MTM effect. This would stabilize the imaging.) In any case, the particular configuration here creates some imaging effects that are both not quite correct and also unstable with respect to head movements. You have to be really careful about where you sit and how you angle the speakers to avoid hearing the drivers as separate sources. Beware of careless audition: Exact set-up and exact listener position are crucial here. But if one sets up the speakers ideally—and doesn’t move!—this becomes much less of a problem."

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/eminent-technology-lft-8b-loudspeaker

Sounds like a complete headache to me, and recipe for never being fully satisfied with the sound.  You're not going to have the above problem with the Spatial speakers.

I read about that and it is a concern. If i read it right he reversed the phase of the woofer. My current speakers benefit also when reversing the midrange unit.