Cable placement question

John Gallup

Cable placement question
« on: 28 Mar 2021, 03:18 pm »
I'm rearranging and hiding some cables behind my rack and speakers. I've read that you should separate AC power cords from interconnects and speaker cables, and that if they come near each other it should be at right angles. My question is:  how near is "near?" Six inches? One foot?

In my case I'm talking about Audioquest cables with their Dialectric Bias System [urlhttps://www.audioquest.com/accessories/audio-enhancements/noise-trapping-dbs-packs][/url] that purports to "trap noise."

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Cable placement question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2021, 03:50 pm »
  I would suggest keeping PCs away from ICs especially phono cables.

charles

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2021, 03:51 pm »
I send a copy of Cable Instructions with every TWL purchase as follows -

Instructions for Proper Wire Management

Proper Wire Management Techniques can promote exceptional sound as follows –

o   Please do not run wires, such as Triode Wire Labs Interconnects, speaker cables or power cords close and parallel to each other. They may electrically interfere with each other. To avoid sonic anomalies, keep parallel wires separated by 6 inches wherever possible!

o   If it is unavoidable to separate wires by 6 inches or more, non-parallel wires crossing each other at an angle of 45 degrees or more is OK and acceptable. An angle of 90 degrees is ideal.

o   Try to keep wires off flooring surfaces, especially carpeting, linoleum and laminate wood flooring. If possible try to use cable elevation devices constructed of glass, ceramic, or wood (Maple works great).

Cheers,
Pete

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2021, 04:03 pm »
I sure wish manufacturers and designers would agree on keeping the power cords either on the right or left sides.  :duh:

dflee

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2021, 04:46 pm »
Check your equipment you have and see how close the IC inputs/outputs are to the IEC.
Is it not a problem because of the short distance as opposed to running the length next to each other?
I have Power cords and interconnects for seven pieces not including Majic and digi Busses. Makes for quite the
menagerie in back then there's the speaker cables under all of it.
Nice looking system John. Hope you enjoy life on the AC side of town.

Don

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2021, 05:10 pm »
Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sure Pete's wire layout works beautifully if you have but 3 components: source, preamp, amp

But if you are a complete audio-visual nut like me then you have to go for a random layout using shielded power cords and cables. It actually works.
The two A/C boxes at the bottom are Felix CMC filters.

John Gallup

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2021, 05:29 pm »
Thanks to all who've responded! Here's a photo of the situation. I've run the AC cables into the toe-kick below the cheap IKEA bookshelves I've converted into bass traps and sound absorbers. I could route the interconnects that way too but obviously don't want them in the same (very crowded) space as all the AC cables. I could fish them through the bass traps and probably will do so, but not through the same grommets.

The situation behind the rack looks like a nest of garden hoses but at least I've got all the power cords down near the bottom shelf.

jtcf

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2021, 08:01 pm »
Normally there is not an audible issue unless the ics are running right next to the pcs in the same direction. Crossing over them at an angle is fine. If you don't want them touching a little piece of foam or something non metallic to separate them from each other is doable.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2021, 08:59 pm »
I could route the interconnects that way too but obviously don't want them in the same (very crowded) space as all the AC cables. I could fish them through the bass traps and probably will do so, but not through the same grommets.

The cables in the photo look like they are crossing close to 90 degrees. Let us know if fishing the interconnects through the traps make a difference other than visually cleaner.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2021, 10:41 am »
I use an old wooden cup holder, the ones with the center post drilled for dowels coming out at right angles, to loop my cables over allowing them to cross at right angles.  I'd include a pick, but I recently played around with equipment and it's a mess until I get to rerouting everything.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2021, 05:56 pm »
An extremely knowledgeable EE sometimes Saturday DJ'ing. This is a photo of his DJ setup.

with AC and interconnects bundled together.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2021, 07:00 pm »
DJ wires ..not in use. Coiled up for transport. What exactly does that prove? other than nothing to do with anything about this thread?   You should have made it clear it is just a rather poor excuse for a joke.

John Gallup

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2021, 09:02 pm »
Did the deed today, and here's the finished product.

Sounds good, although I can't say "veil has lifted" or any of that. The real objective was to cut the clutter and I think that worked.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2021, 12:37 pm »
DJ wires ..not in use. Coiled up for transport. What exactly does that prove? other than nothing to do with anything about this thread?   You should have made it clear it is just a rather poor excuse for a joke.
Well, when he unrolls them, they are all in the same sheath and guess what? they work.
Cable systems separation is way overrated. But to be safe, 3 inch separation between AC power and interconnect cables is more than enough.