Eastern Electric's New Minimax phonostage - Phenomenal!

ratbbb2

Minimax phono/Shelter 901
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2005, 12:10 am »
Ok, here goes another BIG THUMBS UP for Bill, Thanks Bill for bringing another great product to the North American market.
  Today I picked up my Scout after having a Shelter 901 installed and it took a couple of records but all of a sudden I heard things my old set up would not (could not) reproduce. Now I think I may have gotten as close to my goal the budget would allow. I feel that the MiniMax is a large part of that do to the fact that it out performed the EAR Yoshino 834P deluxe (which is no slouch) in depth and detail let alone a noticeble amount of realistic bass, not bloated but all there. Haven spoken to Bill a few times he mentioned the 901 so when I heard the phono I knew I had to try the 901 he was using.
  WOW !
 If your in the market for a phono stage do what you can to try this one out.
 As for the tube complement all are stock except the gain stage is an long grey plate RCA which addes a slightly softer warmer tun while losing nothing id upper extention ar detail . Now to get a tungsol 6X4.
  Any takers on a 834P deluxe for $750.00 shipped, paypal ...?
  Roger

amandarae

Re: Eastern Electric's New Minimax phonostage - Phenomenal!
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jun 2005, 08:58 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
just wanted to drop in to make a few quick comments. Bill O'Connell sent me the EE phono to try out. I'd had a chance to hear an earlier version and was floored. When he told me that they made some significant modifications, I couldn't figure out why.

Now I understand. Before I was floored. Now I am blown away!

The Minimax preamp is a fine component, but the Minimax phono is in an entirely different league.

Review to come later - now I must get back to the music!

Hello AudioJerry,

Did you have the opportunity to compare this to a similar price phono preamp like this

at http://www.kandkaudio.com/phonostage.html

or at a little more $$ like

at http://www.hagtech.com/trumpet.html

:?:  :?:  :?:

I do not own either one of them.  I am not affiliated to any of the companies but I heard both and they sound nice to me.

Your thoughts will be highly appreciated!  Thanks!

Mad DOg

something REALLY special
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:33 pm »
the minimax phonostage is REALLY something quite special!  8)

Carlman

Re: Eastern Electric's New Minimax phonostage - Phenomenal!
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2005, 05:29 pm »
Quote from: amandarae
Hello AudioJerry,

Did you have the opportunity to compare this to a similar price phono preamp like this

at http://www.kandkaudio.com/phonostage.html

or at a little more $$ like

at http://www.hagtech.com/trumpet.html

:?:  :?:  :?:

I do not own either one of them.  I am not af ...

If you send me one or both of these, I'd be willing to put together a comparison. :)

ratbbb2

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2005, 07:06 pm »
I wrote a drawn out peice on the two channel about the minimax threesome. heres what pertains to the phono:

I started the audition by hooking up both the EAR and MiniMax both with the stock tubes and played several albums. Joe Jacksons body and Soul was the first. I had a tough time on a clear winner because they seem to have they're own signatures the 834p had a bit lushness and the EE had better extension on both ends after four or five album sides It was clear that the EE was more detailed and had a deeper stage . It wasn't until I swapped some tubes that I notice a sizable difference. The first tube I swapped was the Gain stage (center) I placed a old stock RCA ribbed short gray plate. the liquid mids that the EAR had was now shining through on the Mini. That's it, this is my new stage. A friend tube dealer came over and we tried several tubes. The Winners in descending order are:
French made Amperex 6X4
Dutch (amperex) HP 12AX7 Primary gain
USA RCA 7025
This line up was best for my taste in music , the bottom was stronger than anything I tried while not being bloated. Steve Millers fly like an eagle is bass heavy and it sounded like I had added a sub , the new REM had a wonderful presence not heard in this system before and Dusty Springfield made me think I was the preachers son.
The Amperex 12AX7 edged out the Tele. smooth plates but not by enough to justify the added expense at this time. Either set would second place. I thought the biggest difference was a bit of sweetness giving the illusion of more detail. I'll pick them up sooner or later.
The RCA 12AX7 in the center with the Telefunken (smooth) on the outside was my fourth choice . Depth, space as well as a tight bass were all there but needed a bit of Air to top the the others.
I didn't notice as much of a change in the 6X4 as I had expected from the stock JAN to the Amperex perhaps the recommended Tungsol is in order. I would go with the RCA, TELE, or Amperex in the primary gain to get the most bang for the buck. Ive read that the Groove tube 12AX 7 is a nice and inexpensive alternative but have yet to try it .
Thanks to those who took the time to read my ramblings and feel free to ask questions if you have any . Just my .07

claud

« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2005, 02:38 pm »
6 Moons will have a review of the Minimax Phono soon according to their website. The original reviewer assigned has left 6 Moons. ( Cowan) This has caused a delay. I really love mine with 3 Groove Tube 12AX7-Ms and the TungSol wavey getter 6X4.

claud

« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2005, 03:04 pm »
There are now reviews at 6 Moons and Positive Feedback for the Minimax Phono Pre.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2005, 04:39 pm »
I also use the Groove Tube 12AX7M & Tung-Sol 6x4 with my MiniMax PS. Wow, what a tube. I have tried cryo'd Mullards, Telefunkens, RTF's. Bill & Alex have really pulled off a "REAL WINNER" of a phono stage. Jaw Dropping. Give it a try, you won't be disapointed!!

Darth

claud

« Reply #28 on: 17 Aug 2005, 09:53 pm »
I also tried NOS Mullards, Amperex and smooth plate Telfunks. They were all smoother and some were more dynamic than the stock tubes, but none of them has the deep wide soundstage. The GTs had it all. I ordered the NOS 12AX7s especially for the EE with one primo tube with balanced sections and a decent matched pair for the buffer sockets.