my thoughts on the AVA SET 120 Control Amp

Nick B

my thoughts on the AVA SET 120 Control Amp
« on: 13 Mar 2021, 07:18 am »
I have been looking for a new amplifier for a few months now to replace my current Class D. The AVA SET 120 (or 400), was one of three finalists. I’ve been trying to find a used 120 or 400 for a while now. Recently, I was fortunate to find a used 120 Control Amp on Agon. I really didn’t need a Control Amp as I stream and prefer the remote control of my preamp. But this was too good a deal to pass up.

It’s my first time making an AVA purchase. I’ve been tempted in the past, but one of the reasons I didn’t buy was because the power cords were hardwired. I like having the iec. This Control Amp is built like a tank. The powder coating is very nice as are the overall aesthetics.

I was expecting it to sound very good because of the reviews I had read and the positive comments from a number of owners and the recommendation of a member here whose opinion I quite value. But rather than describe this amp as very good, I would rather describe it as amazing. It’s also a tremendous value at the price. The bass response is excellent. It resolves better than I expected. The midrange and treble are a delight. Imaging is excellent. I wanted an amp that has much more texture than my Class D and I got it! Instruments sound much truer...much more natural. The rich midrange is my favorite part :)

There’s not much more to say. This is such a fun, musical amp. In my first week of listening, I was up til 2:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 am. I’ve never done that with any other amp.

If you’re curious about associated equipment, i have an Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp, Border Patrol SEi dac, Auralic Mini streamer with Mojo Audio lps, Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers, Audio Envy cabling and PI Audio UberBUSS.

My thanks to Audio by Van Alstine for making such a fine product.

Phil_S

Re: my thoughts on the AVA SET 120 Control Amp
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2021, 01:22 pm »
I placed my order with Mary 3 weeks ago, the anticipation is brutal!  Glad you think so highly of the equipment.

Stercom

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2021, 01:44 pm »
Thanks for thoughts on the SET 120 control amp. What Class D amp were you using before?

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2021, 02:59 pm »
Thanks for the great comments, Nick B.

I  should note that regarding your aversion to captive power cords, all new AVA equipment (including the SET 120) built in the last few years comes with a standard IEC power socket and plug in power cord.

Frank

jjss49

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2021, 03:47 pm »
nice system nick!  fritz' speakers are wonderful

frank you gave in to the power cord craze!! hahaha

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2021, 05:05 pm »
We knew that Fritz speakers would work great with the SET 120 because John Heller, Fritz owner, purchased a SET 120 Control Amp from us and is very happy with it.

Jim Salk just acquired one of our SET 120 Control Amplifier too.

Frank

Nick B

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2021, 05:49 pm »
Thanks for thoughts on the SET 120 control amp. What Class D amp were you using before?

It was based on the ICEpower 1200as2 modules.

Nick B

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2021, 06:01 pm »
Thanks for the great comments, Nick B.

I  should note that regarding your aversion to captive power cords, all new AVA equipment (including the SET 120) built in the last few years comes with a standard IEC power socket and plug in power cord.

Frank

More a strong preference than an outright aversion.... As a consumer, I also like having a choice as well. I’ve been following the AVA product line for a number of years now. It was a fortunate series of circumstances and so many positive comments that led to my purchase.

Nick B

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2021, 06:06 pm »
I placed my order with Mary 3 weeks ago, the anticipation is brutal!  Glad you think so highly of the equipment.

Congrats  :thumb: But you are looking forward to being sleep-deprived like me??

Nick B

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2021, 06:11 pm »
nice system nick!  fritz' speakers are wonderful

frank you gave in to the power cord craze!! hahaha

thanks jjss49  Yes,  the Fritz are indeed wonderful. Huge, beautiful sound from a small box that I can also easily lift

Nick B

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2021, 06:20 pm »
We knew that Fritz speakers would work great with the SET 120 because John Heller, Fritz owner, purchased a SET 120 Control Amp from us and is very happy with it.

Jim Salk just acquired one of our SET 120 Control Amplifier too.

Frank

Frank,

I have spoken with Mr Heiler...aka Fritz...a number of times and he’s usually trying different amps. That he thinks so highly of the SET 120 was a big factor in my decision.

Haven’t tried Jim Salk’s speakers yet... Have always admired the beautiful craftsmanship.

Nick

Phil_S

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2021, 08:55 pm »
Nick B,

Not sleep deprived, only operating on 4-5 generally any way.  However I feel the need to take some mental health days.  I need to aurally observe the "break in" period.  I've been listening to many of my favorites but there's not going to be any meaningful comparison as my electronics are 40+ years old!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2021, 10:58 pm »

nick B:

Buy the most powerfull amp Frank makes. If you don't down the road you'll think"I wish I had bought an amp with more power"
         Been there did that a lot of times. I finally bought a McIntosh MC 352 amp. I've had it for 14 years now. No problems. Built like a tank.
         Weighs 110 pounds. DAMN!!! it sure is hard to make the right choice. Right???

Cheers
                                                                      Charlie

P.S. Frank makes the best tube preamps. And they don't cost an arm and a leg!!!

Nick B

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2021, 11:10 pm »
Nick B,

Not sleep deprived, only operating on 4-5 generally any way.  However I feel the need to take some mental health days.  I need to aurally observe the "break in" period.  I've been listening to many of my favorites but there's not going to be any meaningful comparison as my electronics are 40+ years old!

Phil,
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Speaking of older gear, I’d love to still have my VAC 90s and RM 9 amps to compare. They’re the only tube amps I’ve ever owned.

Nick B

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2021, 11:24 pm »
   nick B:

Buy the most powerfull amp Frank makes. If you don't down the road you'll think"I wish I had bought an amp with more power"
         Been there did that a lot of times. I finally bought a McIntosh MC 352 amp. I've had it for 14 years now. No problems. Built like a tank.
         Weighs 110 pounds. DAMN!!! it sure is hard to make the right choice. Right???

Cheers
                                                                      Charlie

P.S. Frank makes the best tube preamps. And they don't cost an arm and a leg!!!

CK,

I’m not against power at all. Would have snapped up a used 400, but none to be found...
As to your 110 lb beast, no way I could handle. My back would rebel....permanently. I had enough trouble with my 60 lb McCormack and just sold my 70 lb turntable. 45 lbs or less is what would be best.

As to an AVA preamp, I’d love to hear one! But my Audio Hungary tubed pre sounds quite good.