Quick Question for Vinnie Rossi LIO owners

Yomaha

Quick Question for Vinnie Rossi LIO owners
« on: 2 Mar 2021, 04:56 am »
Idk if this is the right circle for this so please move if needed.

What is a normal listening volume setting on the LIO for most folks?

When I was using the internal amp and Salk Song Towers of listen around 30.

When I got a Pass XA25 listen position moved to around 40.

Now I have the Pass + Salk Song3 BeATs (86db) and vol position is at 50.

The amp doesn’t seem to be struggling, not hearing excess noise (this amp is super quiet) just wondering where other folks are at and am I off base here. Thanks!!

gene9p

Re: Quick Question for Vinnie Rossi LIO owners
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2021, 08:32 pm »
The sensitivity of the speakers makes them harder to drive thus the higher volume. The Xa25 is a Class A low power amp  at 25 per channel and RCA ins only if I am correct here, so there goes a bit more power needed compared to component ins and outs which run hotter/louder. You can try the amp mod in the LIO and see how much more power/volume is needed for your new speakers to give you a better idea of how your new separates work compared to the LIO as an integrated amp. I think you will find the LIO as an integrated will have to be cranked up a bit more for the 86db speakers even with it's 8 ohm impedance.

krustykat

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2021, 09:17 pm »
I'm running my LIO into a Pass XA30.8.  I find that my LIO's volume settings with an 86db efficient speaker are about the same as your settings.  I've used both the AVR and DHT controls with the LIO and didn't notice much difference with the levels.  Like the other Pass class A amps, your amp will put out quite a bit more than 25 Watts, its just that when it goes above 25 watts it changes to AB mode instead of staying in pure class A mode.   

krustykat

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2021, 11:58 pm »
I think I assumed something incorrect.  Double checking I didn't find evidence that the XA25 goes into AB mode like the other Pass XA models.  According to John Atkinson at Stereophile, it outputs about 80W into an 8 ohm load at 1% distortion, but no mention of leaving Class A that I could find.  Maybe that's why this model doesn't have a meter.  Still lotsa power for most people and bit more than the Lio's mosfet amp.

gene9p

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2021, 03:43 pm »
The 25 amp is class A..not A/B even at higher volumes.

from stereophile.com

"The XA25 stereo amplifier is the latest addition to Pass Laboratories' XA series of amplifiers and, at $4900, the lowest priced. It weighs only 45 lbs, has single-ended inputs only, and outputs 25Wpc into 8 ohms, 50Wpc into 4 ohms, or 100Wpc (!) into 2 ohms. According the XA25's well-written owner's manual, it will deliver 50W peaks into 2, 4, or 8 ohms—in class-A. "