WTC Tonearm re-wire

Topshelf

WTC Tonearm re-wire
« on: 25 Feb 2021, 05:44 am »
Hi can anyone give me a contact who can re-wire a WTC tonearm.
If someone has had it done please feel free to comment how it went.
Thanks and stay safe.
Cheers Ian in Sydney.

VinceT

Re: WTC Tonearm re-wire
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2021, 03:37 pm »
I have also wondered this.

I think the stock wire seems pretty decent. Seems tricky with the connector on the end and the sand filled tone arm.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2021, 05:26 pm »
I'm not that knowledgeable in regard to the earlier WT designs, but I have to agree with Vince. Unless the wire has broken or been compromised, I'd leave well enough alone and consider other upgrade options. 

marchunter

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2021, 06:43 pm »
Was just looking at my Classics arm. It looks like the worlds fiddleyest job, but doable (he said, knowing nothing of how it’s done). The wires have a plug at each end to go through. They’re tiny. I soldered the arm wires back to the clips before and that was plenty for a hamfisted knuckle dragger like me. Getting the plugs out at each end of the arm might be ok as it looks like the “headshell” may be held on by a screw. The other end looks press fit.
Here’s a couple pics.
It would be a heck of a commitment but if you have no other choice........... have at it.

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2021, 11:14 pm by marchunter »

/mp

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2021, 08:08 pm »
Rewiring the TA provides an opportunity to run a single pair of wires directly to the phono input downstream. Every junction reduces S/N 3 DB. At least that's how I learned it way back when. Never tried it so I can't comment if reality maps theory 1:1 in this application. I decided I'd leave the wires on the outside of the tomearm instead of fiddling with the plugs & sand filling at least initially. That way the original isn't removed. The two can be compared most easily as well as returned to original state w/minimum fuss.

Would be tweakers may now consider which wires to use, how to secure them to the tonearm, straight or wrapped & how many coils if wrapped.

Topshelf

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2021, 03:12 am »
Thanks for the input so far, my tonearm wires snapped so I have been forced to run some litz cable on the outside of the arm and it is held in place by black shrink tube. It sounds fine but looks OK. II read of a gent called Duc from a forum in Australia who managed to do this procedure. Unfortunately he has passed but was considered a guru of many things Audio.
I agree the original wires look very fine and I presume the sand must also be very fine too.
Keep safe all,
Ian in Australia.

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2021, 06:13 am »
I think in your situation I would reach out to WTL directly, all else fails maybe the manufacturer may be worth a try to find out the right procedure to make this repair. Found this on Google.

Well Tempered Labs are manufactured by Opera Audio in China, the company that's behind Consonance electronics

I'd be curious to know the process of you find out how to do this.

Topshelf

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2021, 05:28 am »
Hi All,
Thanks for the thoughts. I thought the current production of WT tables is made in China but the earlier tables elsewhere? I think my table was made in NZ and the arm assembled on it from that "somewhere"
If I were to attempt it where would I get tonearm wire to match what was originally on it? It looks so very fine and fragile?
Cheers Ian.

Apesbrain

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2021, 12:39 am »
Another option: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649710585-well-tempered-labs-ltd-tonearm/

A "classic" plinth with a new generation arm like this would be very cool.