Rewiring the TA provides an opportunity to run a single pair of wires directly to the phono input downstream. Every junction reduces S/N 3 DB. At least that's how I learned it way back when. Never tried it so I can't comment if reality maps theory 1:1 in this application. I decided I'd leave the wires on the outside of the tomearm instead of fiddling with the plugs & sand filling at least initially. That way the original isn't removed. The two can be compared most easily as well as returned to original state w/minimum fuss.
Would be tweakers may now consider which wires to use, how to secure them to the tonearm, straight or wrapped & how many coils if wrapped.