Aerius protection circuit

toughdog

Aerius protection circuit
« on: 4 Feb 2021, 10:29 pm »
Troubleshooting a pair of Martin Logan Aerius i hybrid - conventional/ESL (ElectroStatic Loudspeaker) - speakers.  The woofers sound fine, but the ESL panel in one (calling it the "bad" one) outputs about 20dB less than the other.  In the bad unit I found corroded board components, including the one triac in the circuit and several voltage multiplier diodes.  I replaced the diodes (conventional 1N4007 1000V 1A) and, since I didn't have one, swapped in the triac from the 'good" speaker, which restored operation in the sense that the ESL levels are now reversed, i.e., the level of the one that was bad is now 20dB louder than the other ESL that had been good before triac removal.  Also, I'd like to know the function(s) of the front LED indicator and the LED on the board and why they're both red at power up but then turn off after about 30 seconds.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows how this circuitry works and/or has a schematic, which an exhaustive search has failed to produce.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Aerius protection circuit
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2021, 10:45 pm »
Welcome
I will move this topic to the Lab Circle.

sandbagger

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2021, 11:53 pm »
contact ML
one of them died in a pair I have a few years ago, they were cheap enough I bough 2 so I had a backup for the other if it ever went.\
I passed it on when I sold the speakers

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2021, 11:57 pm »
Did you stumble upon this on the Martin Logan Owner's site?

https://www.martinloganowners.com/threads/aerius-i-cross-over-schematic.17182/

toughdog

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2021, 01:46 am »
Thanks, Doublej.  That's helpful.  I do still need the circuitry represented in the box labeled "High Voltage Sensing Power Supply" as that's apparently where the problem is.  Any idea where I could find such a thing?