Amplifier, straight line with gain

Falcon

Amplifier, straight line with gain
« on: 30 Jan 2021, 11:54 pm »
So I've read that some believe many amplifiers today are simply "straight line with gain" meaning they neither add nor subtract anything to the signal it is fed. I find that kind of intriguing in the sense that it makes shopping for an amp, assuming you want no color added, much easier. Then you only need to consider component quality, adaquate power for whatever speaker you're driving, warranty and whatever bells and whistles you want. Auditioning amps is often impossible since it's hard to find certain brand amps in an area you live.
So my question is: Why don't manufacturers post that information if it's true of their amplifiers? Maybe they do and I've simply missed that information. My readings tell me it is fairly simply to measure the input vs output for comparison so that shouldn't be an issue...Maybe reviewers with the technical  savvy  could do as much. Maybe they do? Perhaps if that information is released it is bad marketing mojo?

RDavidson

Re: Amplifier, straight line with gain
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2021, 02:32 am »
It is an "ideal" but not true. Any/all components in a system will influence the original signal in some way. Measurements can only explain certain parameters and those parameters are not the only contributing factors to how an amp may influence the origin signal. So even if a manufacturer claimed to have a 100% "straight wire with gain" it doesn't really guarantee anything to the end user. No one listens to an amplifier directly. The eventual sound that reaches your ears is subject to other gear, especially your speakers, and your listening environment.

Mike-48

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2021, 03:21 am »
My impression is, much of the sound of "neutral" amplifiers is how they interact with the reactive load of your (speaker cables and) speakers. Since each speaker is different, it's difficult to predict how a specific amp will sound with specific speakers.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2021, 04:35 am »
In my opinion, and I've owned/heard many amps in my system over the last year, at least 10, I've come to the conclusion that a very low distortion amp should be the starting point for any great home audio system. I would guide you over to The Lab to listen to Jason's latest video with Tom from Neurochrome as I believe that he's totally on point with his opinions of amps, and amp quality. Seems like a real straight shooter and an asset to our community.

Cheers,

Don

jjss49

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2021, 05:51 am »
1) straight wire w gain is an ideal that is difficult to implement in the real world with real world speakers and rooms

2) a lot of source material doesn't sound great... straight wire with gain won't sound too good

groovybassist

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2021, 02:35 pm »
I've spent 30+ years on this audio journey, mixing and matching too many pieces of gear to admit, yet I'd never been truly satisfied and was always looking for "the next upgrade."  That has all changed recently, due to exposure to Tom Christiansen's Neurochrome and TCA brands.

I started with the TCA HPA-1 headphone amp and immediately it just sounded 'right' to me.  I enjoyed it so much I had Tom build me a Neurochrome Modulus-286 speaker amplifier, with the same experience of it just sounding right.  I've come to the conclusion starting with a neutral amp really simplifies the process of setting up a high-performing rig.  Get a source, preamp and amp that are as neutral as possible and add the flavoring you like with speaker selection.  To me this is much easier than mixing and matching when every component has its' own sound to contend with.  It's taken me too long to reach this destination, but I'm glad it's finally arrived.  I'm patiently waiting to see what other components Tom comes up with to add to my system.

Falcon

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2021, 05:13 pm »
Endo2112 question: Where is "The lab" you speak of. I looked on the site and am not seeing it.
Thanks,
Al.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2021, 06:26 pm »
Endo2112 question: Where is "The lab" you speak of. I looked on the site and am not seeing it.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=174680.0