Dead battery..

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Dead battery..
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2021, 09:45 pm »
I bought the OEM battery from Ford Motorcraft. $105
I bought a small lithium-ion batterypack to jump start the car. Looking on Amazon it offered a 'deal' on a $124 top rated one for $78 (one of those deals you leave the page and try t get it back hah no way, been there done that, so I took it.) One fear I had was getting a jump then those people leave I try to drive it and halfway the car dies.. stranded. With the Lithium-Ion thing I could start it again no hassle.
 worked OK.
Yes my car now sits for a full week between uses. Covid slow death by stagnation.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2021, 10:19 pm »
Covid prevents you from driving the car more than once a week? 
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2021, 01:13 am by opnly bafld »

newzooreview

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2021, 11:05 pm »
Covid prevents you from driving the car more than once a week?  :roll:

Elizabeth did not say "prevent" Does it make you feel better to belittle people online?

Since I've been working from home and having Amazon Fresh deliver groceries to limit exposure, my car battery has also run down. Please feel free to roll you eyes at me too and give yourself a little mood boost from bullying.

djpk

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2021, 12:00 am »
I bought an Odyssey brand battery for my Ford F150. I had a question about the battery and called Odyssey. Surprisingly, a human being answered the phone and directed me to an employee that answered my question. Happy with the customer service on that. I noticed that the Odyssey battery was heavier than the Ford battery as I changed the battery out myself. So far, I'm happy with Odyssey. Purchased from Auto Zone.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2021, 12:43 am »
Elizabeth did not say "prevent" Does it make you feel better to belittle people online?

Since I've been working from home and having Amazon Fresh deliver groceries to limit exposure, my car battery has also run down. Please feel free to roll you eyes at me too and give yourself a little mood boost from bullying.

Sorry, but I didn't seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce anyone. My mood did not change.
Are you blaming a dead battery on Covid 19?  :scratch:
Would you prefer me to simply say get out of the house/apartment and drive the car once in a while?
...........or consider getting an EV.

Doublej

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2021, 02:16 am »
I did not realize that localities have put restrictions on driving because of COVID.

Elizabeth

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2021, 01:43 pm »
Driving around in circles going nowhere in particular was fun for several years when I first got my current Hot hatch
After six years of ownership it has gotten difficult to justify, and the main reason for not joy riding i my Ford extended warranty. I didn't get a very high mileage plan and would like it to last the eight years. So I have an additional reason to not just add mileage for the sake of wasting gasoline... And since there really is nowhere to actually go.. except the grocery store once a week. I do not drive nearly as much as I used to.
So yes I 100% blame my inability to find an excuse to drive my hot hatch, and battery problem on Covid..  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2021, 03:22 pm by Elizabeth »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2021, 02:09 pm »
I did not realize that localities have put restrictions on driving because of COVID.

You can drive, you just can't stop anywhere. 😉

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2021, 02:14 pm »
Elizabeth,
In my 40-plus years of driving experience (and I am no mechanic or technician), it is best to make sure that the car runs for at least 15 to 20 minutes so the alternator can do its work of keeping the battery charged.
Bt running, I mean driving. If you go very short distances, there isn't always enough time for this to take place.
With that said, if you only drive once a week -but- for at least 15-20 minutes, you shouldn't have any problem with your brand new OEM battery as long as the alternator is working properly.

Doublej

« Reply #29 on: 31 Jan 2021, 03:17 pm »

I stop a lot for takeout.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2021, 05:58 pm »
I stop a lot for takeout.

I'm technically not allowed to do that, but sometimes I cheat, not nearly enough to charge the battery though.  I live in the country so I often ride through the hills and dales of the Laurel Highlands and just look at stuff.   And doctor appointments, lots of doctor visits to keep me out and about.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan 2021, 06:37 pm »

A park, if weather is decent take a walk, stay in car if not.

Doesn't need to be a long drive to keep battery charged enough to stay healthy.
I live in a small town and don't drive over 5 or 6 miles most trips.

twitch54

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2021, 06:44 pm »
Doesn't need to be a long drive to keep battery charged enough to stay healthy.
I live in a small town and don't drive over 5 or 6 miles most trips.

absolutely false, while you may have gotten 'lucky', if you for one minute think 'short trips' are good for ones vehicle you sir have no clue !

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #33 on: 31 Jan 2021, 07:03 pm »
absolutely false, while you may have gotten 'lucky', if you for one minute think 'short trips' are good for ones vehicle you sir have no clue !

I didn't say it is good for my vehicle, but it keeps my battery charged.
If I were worried about what is good for my vehicle I wouldn't own one, I buy automobiles to be used and have had very good success. Took auto mechanic training in school and I'm a "car guy".
Never had any problems with the cars I have owned and driven over 40 years in the same small town.
Can't remember the last time I bought a battery (no I don't trade cars every 2 years).

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2021, 07:11 pm »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #35 on: 31 Jan 2021, 07:41 pm »

Most of my years working I drove 2 miles to work, 2 miles home for lunch, 2 miles back to work, 2 miles back home at the end of the day. Same with trips running errands. All of my cars have lasted just as long as the vast majority of other cars, they obviously might not have as many miles, but were just as old in years.
I don't believe luck had anything to do with it.  :wink:

twitch54

« Reply #36 on: 31 Jan 2021, 08:05 pm »
Most of my years working I drove 2 miles to work, 2 miles home for lunch, 2 miles back to work, 2 miles back home at the end of the day. Same with trips running errands. All of my cars have lasted just as long as the vast majority of other cars, they obviously might not have as many miles, but were just as old in years.
I don't believe luck had anything to do with it.  :wink:

Wow, why bother even owning a car, bicycle would have been perfect !   :D

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #37 on: 1 Feb 2021, 04:15 am »
Driving a car other than short trips is important, but short trips it's self is no issue as long as longer drives are done regularly as well. Reasons why are oil needs to get up to temp to burn off water and the valves need to be heated to prevent accumulation of deposits. With new DI motors this is actually very important to prevent excessive deposits on the intake valves. Driving on the highway or at higher rpms will heat the valves past the temp deposits form and actually help burn them off.

jules

« Reply #38 on: 1 Feb 2021, 09:58 am »
Quote Elizabeth:

Yes my car now sits for a full week between uses. Covid slow death by stagnation.

Most modern cars draw a small constant current while they're doing nothing. I had a WRX that would flatten its battery in a week and a half if not driven.

I'm assuming that you have a power supply near where the car is stored so the most logical thing is to buy a small battery charger/maintainer/whatever you like to call it. "Smart" chargers will not hit the battery with too much power initially and after thoughtfully bringing the battery up to 13V or so will drop back and hold the battery at a safe level indefinitely.

I'm using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com.au/AIMTOM-Automatic-Maintainer-Motorcycle-Batteries/dp/B07HXBMJ62/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=12v+battery+charger&qid=1566279456&s=gateway&sr=8-5&linkCode=sl1&tag=bestfive-22&linkId=33caf2656dc11e387f34fb9aa6fd6063&language=en_AU

A 4 amp charger is big enough if you hook up your battery when not using the car. If it takes several days to bring the battery back up to charged with a 4 amp charger, the battery has discharged too much in the first place.

and at Aus. $69 it's very good value.

If you let 12V batteries drop down to anything less than 70% [or worse] charge on a regular basis it will drastically shorten the battery life.

Use a charger/maintainer whenever you aren't using your car for anything more than about three days means you never get a nasty surprise when the car just won't start.

Discharge varies from car to car of course and older cars [30 years+] sometimes didn't draw anything from their batteries at
rest.

Other than that, I completely agree with S Clark about the virtue of using a solar charger/maintainer where possible.

Elizabeth

« Reply #39 on: 1 Feb 2021, 03:35 pm »
I live in a big complex, there is no usable 120V AC anywhere near my car in the basement To use the possible AC would run the real risk of being kicked out of the garage permanently.
As is, no work allowed on car.. (other than allowed washing it) I have a (grandfathered but still a bit iff-ish) half permission to change my oil in my space.. and  I would do nothing to risk that little perk anyway.
So no I cannot use a battery charger in the garage.

I like cars, but I am not obsessive compulsive. So my battery is just a battery,  not some precious jewel. I ignored it for six years, I plan to ignore it for six more.
However for those to whom their car battery is life itself, good for you. Cherish your battery.  :thumb: