SVS Ultra Bookshelf is on Danny's table! Upgrade soon? !

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: SVS Ultra Bookshelf is on Danny's table! Upgrade soon? !
« Reply #40 on: 7 Apr 2021, 01:59 pm »
I have several more days of listening completed.  Results continue to be excellent.  I listen mostly to classical music, multichannel SACD.  I've noted a great improvement in vocals across the left, center and right speakers (all three with Danny's upgrade).  For instance, I've listened to Chandos' (CHSA 5242) 2019 recording of Bliss: Mary of Magdala.  Also, LSO Live's (LSO0809) 2017 recording of Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust.  Each of these recordings have soloists and choirs.  All sound better than ever, not shrill or screechy.  The orchestra is clear and distinct.  Look, these are $500 each speakers.  I cannot claim they match Danny's NX-Oticas but my speakers are upgraded and I'm pleased.

Marcus

That's what counts. Enjoy

daltonlanny

« Reply #41 on: 20 Jan 2023, 08:27 pm »
Hello,
 I am interested in this upgrade, but what about the hump at 5khz after the mod on the GR Research website? Is this audible and or annoying?
Can it be reduced?
I also find the SVS Ultra in stock form to be somewhat forward or harsh sounding.
Does this mod reduce this?
Also does the rise in the treble, after the mod, cause any brightness issues.
Are most of you who did the mod still happy with the results overall, or is it really not worthwhile?
Thanks for your answers!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 20 Jan 2023, 10:31 pm »
It's an edge-diffraction issue.

The bump is still visible in the original speaker in the crossover measurement, but it is brought down by the slope of the tweeter: (see the green line at 5Khz)

Upgrade On Axis:

Upgrade at 10-degrees off axis: (5KHz hump is gone)

Most "Brightness" issues occur in the 1-3KHz range, most everything above that is harmonics and spatial cues and unlikely to be an issue unless there is a severe spike or breakup mode.

You can tackle the 5Khz issue by placing some 1/4" thick felt around the sides of the tweeter to absorb the reflection issue off the baffle, or keep the speakers pointed out past your shoulders.

daltonlanny

« Reply #43 on: 20 Jan 2023, 11:51 pm »
Thanks for your detailed reply 👍
I really like the build quality and looks of the speakers, but I don't care alot for the forwardness and hardness at times, plus voices can sound somewhat muffled or veiled.
So should I upgrade or would I be better off getting different speakers?
Thanks again!

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 21 Jan 2023, 07:55 pm »
Thanks for your detailed reply 👍
I really like the build quality and looks of the speakers, but I don't care alot for the forwardness and hardness at times, plus voices can sound somewhat muffled or veiled.
So should I upgrade or would I be better off getting different speakers?
Thanks again!

The upgrade will resolve all of those issues.

daltonlanny

« Reply #45 on: 23 Jan 2023, 05:57 pm »
Ordered the SVS Ultra Bookshelf upgrade kit from GR-Research over the weekend.
Looking forward to getting it!

Jan_Mc

« Reply #46 on: 24 Jan 2023, 02:40 am »
I did the upgrade on my Ultras and thought they did a really good job removing that harshness.   No regrets at all!

daltonlanny

« Reply #47 on: 24 Jan 2023, 07:45 pm »
Thats good to hear!

dB Cooper

« Reply #48 on: 24 Jan 2023, 10:12 pm »
Thank you for the information gentleman. I know this little upgrade will not make these sound like $300,000 speakers, but at least it will be fun 🛠️

I have heard $300K speakers that I thought sounded like crap, and $3-10K speakers that I thought sounded musical, so maybe that's not a bad thing...

daltonlanny

« Reply #49 on: 13 Feb 2023, 08:31 am »
A friend of mine wants to rebuild his SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers crossovers, and use top grade parts such as aftermarket resistors, inductors and capacitors, but keep the stock values the same.
We know that the stock capacitors are 8.2 uf for the tweeter section, and 12 uf for the bass/midrange driver section, but no idea what values the resistor and the two inductors are.
He said SVS won't disclose the values. The crossover appears to be a 12db/octave slope on both the tweeter and woofer/mid at 2,000 hz.
Would anyone happen to know what the values of the inductors and the resistor are by any chance?
Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 13 Feb 2023, 10:10 pm »
A friend of mine wants to rebuild his SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers crossovers, and use top grade parts such as aftermarket resistors, inductors and capacitors, but keep the stock values the same.
We know that the stock capacitors are 8.2 uf for the tweeter section, and 12 uf for the bass/midrange driver section, but no idea what values the resistor and the two inductors are.
He said SVS won't disclose the values. The crossover appears to be a 12db/octave slope on both the tweeter and woofer/mid at 2,000 hz.
Would anyone happen to know what the values of the inductors and the resistor are by any chance?
Thanks.

Rebuilding them using stock values doesn't make a lot of sense. The humped up area centered at 800 to 900Hz will still be there, and the tweeter level is still going to be down.

You could spend just as much piece milling it all out value for value.

The upgrade kit solves all of those problems and you get everything you need using top notch parts.

daltonlanny

« Reply #51 on: 5 Mar 2023, 04:33 pm »
I really don't understand why he is so set on upgrading the parts in the stock speaker either. I have told him he needs to go with the upgrade kit, but he insists on the stock parts values. Lol.