Top 5 DIY Single Ended Interconnect Cable

Escott1377

Re: Top 5 DIY Single Ended Interconnect Cable
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2021, 06:11 pm »
Wait! Those are both XLR balanced mic cables suitable for high interference and electrical noise locations (like on a stage near theatrical lights and smoke machines). While the can be made to work for analog (but not digital) RCA interconnects, they are far from the best Canare & Mogami choices.

While not addressed @ me, you are taking the point of my post out of context.  I simply mentioned what I found to be a good option that after you buy what is needed to make a good DYI cable, your time and materials cost will exceed the cables from Amazon.

They are also easier to work with than Blue Jeans due to the RCA connector that BJC chooses.

I’m again not trying to push this towards a cable debate, but the 3 - 4 cable runs that are typically used in a 2 channel system will doubtfully expose poor performance from these cables.

jmc207

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2021, 07:52 pm »
The Blue Jeans LC-1 is available in bulk from their sister site rawcable.com. https://www.rawcable.com/cable/LC1.htm  I have a pair made by BJC but have never quite warmed up to how it sounds. YMMV. I like the following better:

Mogami 2549

Cardas Twinaxial 2 x 21.5. I haven't yet tried the Crosslink.
https://www.partsconnexion.com/cardas-interconnect-wire-cable.html

Oh, and for some reason, I'd also like to try this one from DH Labs.
https://silversonic.com/products/bulk-wire-and-cable/bulk-interconnect-cable/white-lightning-interconnect/

rtate

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2021, 09:06 pm »
So is co-ax generally considered a better choice for interconnects ?

jmc207

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2021, 09:28 pm »

I think most would say no, that a twisted pair design is better. I'll leave to others to explain those reasons. Tonal quality is my primary focus and I've heard very good interconnects of both designs, as well as bad.

John

Escott1377

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2021, 09:30 pm »

The NEI-3003 from Sonic Craft is nice wire for coax.

Pretty sure Blue Jeans has an article on their web site about the pro’s of coax wire.

Tyson

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2021, 09:41 pm »

I use coax inside my tube amps as signal wire.  For regular RCA cables I used twisted pair wire.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jan 2021, 10:23 pm »
Wait! Those are both XLR balanced mic cables suitable for high interference and electrical noise locations (like on a stage near theatrical lights and smoke machines). While the can be made to work for analog (but not digital) RCA interconnects, they are far from the best Canare & Mogami choices.

OK, thanks. I think this is great conversation. There are so many choices and understanding the differences only makes us more knowledgeable. If both of these options are best suited for XLR, why does WBC offer them in single ended application when there are better suited options (from both manufactures) for SE? BTW, I do see where skater's other options from the Japanese manufactures do not include the two models I asked about.

jmc207

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jan 2021, 10:33 pm »
I use coax inside my tube amps as signal wire.  For regular RCA cables I used twisted pair wire.

Tyson, which coax do you use in your amps? I hope to rewire a couple of my amps in the near future. Thanks, John