Ground loop cable

NoDisco

Ground loop cable
« on: 19 Jan 2021, 10:48 pm »
This idea originated elsewhere, but I gave it a try. I took a very cheap piece of cat 5 cable about 2 feet long and attached it to the ground of one of my speakers. I was going to do the pair, but I got lazy. Some have said the effect is either all or nothing. Even with doing this to one speaker, there has been an improvement in my system. The micro dynamics that I have always felt were missing seem to be much improved. Anyone else try this? It was mentioned elsewhere on AC in a long thread, but I can’t find it any longer. At any rate here is a pic.

navi

• Quad Vena / Whatmough 202i Lead Lined
    • My Instagram
Re: Ground loop cable
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2021, 01:22 am »
A bit out of focus, What do you have the ground cable connected to? I see it connected to the neg. terminal but where does the other side go?

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2021, 01:30 am »
This was the original thread on the topic. I also tried it.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87809.msg1840943#msg1840943

navi

• Quad Vena / Whatmough 202i Lead Lined
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2021, 03:20 am »
This was the original thread on the topic. I also tried it.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87809.msg1840943#msg1840943

too many pages. Can't do too many pages
What did you think?did you hear a difference?

Is it like a AM antenna loop? Sorry if I sound clueless.

NoDisco

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2021, 04:05 am »
Both ends attached to the ground on your speaker. Appears to work. Will try more this weekend. Will cost you about 2 bucks plus your time of about 10 minutes.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2021, 03:06 pm »
too many pages. Can't do too many pages
What did you think?did you hear a difference?

Is it like a AM antenna loop? Sorry if I sound clueless.
Yes that was an older thread that got revived. I have not heard a noticeable difference and it does seem to be like a AM antenna loop which may get me to take it off. Just the idea sounds a little weird to me and it's not like my system doesn't sound good.
This is mine.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2021, 08:33 pm »
  For kicks try a wire the same length of your speaker cable. Connect at speaker end only and gently wrap around the Neg. Leg. Should hear something different. Let us know.

charles

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2021, 02:30 pm »
There are commercial devices based in this idea and have been for Umm??  ten plus years now?
I tried it and did not notice any difference.
The juice that I found helped my sound was exotic wood. Seems no one else is interested in exotic wood and stereo junk. So Pfft.. not my problem...
Like many small tweaks this wire thing is definitely a hit or miss. Some find it is great, others nada.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2021, 06:48 pm »
Yes Elizabeth, very similar experience, I made several pairs and settled on a recipe on line here or somewhere else, who knows.  I didn't notice any difference I could be confident about, either good or bad, but I spent all that time and they're not in the way, so I left them on.  The recipe was some specific length with some exact dimensions of the insulation left on in bands. 

I was very interested in your pen blank posts and followed closely.  I had already made hard maple blocks for all of my equipment before your thread posted, so never got around to ordering more exotic woods, but I haven't forgotten.