Top 5 DIY Single Ended Interconnect Cable

rtate

Top 5 DIY Single Ended Interconnect Cable
« on: 10 Jan 2021, 12:36 am »
I would like to build some really good interconnects but can't figure out what cable to use.
I've looked at the "Helix" design ,belden and others but can't decide.
Interconnect cables are for Source like CD, Computer via Ifi dac and Squeezebox To Pre-amp , Dodd battery powered buffer or Pass B1 Korg To Amp, Pass F5 or Folsom Chip amps.
Speakers are high efficiency (95db) open baffle
I would like to know your top choices for cable.
I'll figure out the connecter ends after that  :)
 I know it's  subjective but just want to get an idea

sarora9

Re: Top 5 DIY Single Ended Interconnect Cable
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2021, 12:50 am »
VH Audio's Silver Interconnect. KLEI RCA plugs are good and not too expensive. Aeco RCA  on amazon are supposed to be good too for the price but haven't tried myself.  https://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

rtate

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2021, 02:36 am »
I have actually built those exact interconnects !
Also have built power cables and cat 5 speaker cable from that website but don't really have anything to compare with.
I'm having some lo level hum issues right now and was thinking of trying some type of shielded cables to see if it would make a difference... :scratch:
Thinking about belden 9497 but it's not shielded  :scratch:

sarora9

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2021, 02:50 am »
I built the power cables too (Flavor 1 for Bricasti DAC and streamer, flavor 2 for amp) using  Furutech F11 connectors. The biggest effect ---really huge actually--- was on the dac. Effect on amp  (Folsom 7293) was also noticeable. I had been a flat earther for 2 decades, refusing to believe that power cords can make a big difference so long as you spend > $15 and the connectors are snug. Not true. The flavor 1 with cheap wattgate connectors already made a big difference (my spouse heard the difference very very clearly as I switched the cords back and forth for her), and Furutech connectors introduced more difference.

The Venhaus cable with wattgate connectors was a lot better than a chi-fi cable I got from Amazon, which was about the same money.

You should connect Venhaus about the hum if it is from the power cable. I had a hum issue and he asked me to check if I had switched live and neutral. That was it!

rotarius

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2021, 04:14 am »
Belden 8412 has worked out just fine.  Also, Ebay seller navships sells silver plated PTFE mil spec wire which is very high quality and works great for audio.  I used neutrik plugs with it and was pleased with the result.  Not audiophile froo froo but give it a try.

rtate

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2021, 05:15 am »
Thanks rotarius , that looks good but I think I want to try something shielded this time... :)

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2021, 06:10 am »
Another vote for the VH Audio cables - it's what I used for a long time.

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2021, 01:07 pm »
CAT 5 speaker cables = SMEARING. The different lengths and twists in the basic cable least to timing smear. Sure the signal comes through but it is inherently distorted and comparing them directly against almost any other speaker cable will allow you to hear it pretty clearly.

Escott1377

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2021, 01:27 pm »
I have built almost every flavor of DYI cables: interconnects, speakers, power, RCA, XLR, etc.

There is a brand I have found on Amazon literally called World’s Best Cables.  For the cost vs time invested in making my own, I have settled on these.  They are inexpensive and ship quick.

“RCA Cable Pair - Made with Canare L-4E6S, Star Quad, Audio Interconnect Cable and Amphenol ACPR Gold RCA Connectors – Directional Design”

Just one man’s opinion...

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2021, 02:29 pm »
The best complete RCA unbalanced (single-ended) analog interconnect is the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1.
Some competitive bulk coax cables are:
Belden 1694A, 1695A, 1505A, 1505F, 1855A, 1898A, 89259, 8281
Canare L-5CFB, LV-61S, LV-77S
There are also other coax cables with a heavy braided shield made by the major bulk cable manufactures.

rotarius

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2021, 03:10 pm »
Thanks rotarius , that looks good but I think I want to try something shielded this time... :)
They are shielded!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2021, 03:21 pm »
It's 2021, there is interference everywhere! All RCA interconnects should be shielded.

sarora9

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2021, 03:45 pm »
I used blue jeans RCA cable for a long time too, but the venhaus Silver recipe is significantly better. Of course, it costs 3x at  a minimum: just the silver wire/tube for a 1 m pair is $70, and then you need good quality RCA plugs.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2021, 03:51 pm »
I have built almost every flavor of DYI cables: interconnects, speakers, power, RCA, XLR, etc.

There is a brand I have found on Amazon literally called World’s Best Cables.  For the cost vs time invested in making my own, I have settled on these.  They are inexpensive and ship quick.

“RCA Cable Pair - Made with Canare L-4E6S, Star Quad, Audio Interconnect Cable and Amphenol ACPR Gold RCA Connectors – Directional Design”

Just one man’s opinion...

Thanks for this Escott, lots of good stuff there. Is there a discernible difference between the Canare L-4E6S and Mogami 2534?

-Dieter

annamarykahn

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2021, 03:53 pm »
CAT 5 speaker cables = SMEARING. The different lengths and twists in the basic cable least to timing smear. Sure the signal comes through but it is inherently distorted and comparing them directly against almost any other speaker cable will allow you to hear it pretty clearly.

didn't realize that ethernet cable has different lengths & twists ... where did you find this information? thanks :-)

rtate

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2021, 04:04 pm »
@rotarius , I was referring to the "Mil spec" wire you mentioned.
@sarora9 I do like the VH Audio cable but they aren't shielded and I wanted to try a shielded cable of similar quality just to see if it makes a difference for me   :)
It's too bad you cant get the BJ LC-1 cable in bulk.

Escott1377

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2021, 04:34 pm »
Thanks for this Escott, lots of good stuff there. Is there a discernible difference between the Canare L-4E6S and Mogami 2534?

-Dieter

Not in my opinion.  I am personally not a believer in high end cables.  Good construction, reputable source, like Canare or Mogami.

*Not trying to bait a cable debate.*

I have spent about $1k in the past year on diffusors and absorption panels and that is a better investment for me.

Still not done as this is my 1st trip down this rabbit hole, but I am electrical engineer by degree, and this is where I have been putting my $$.

Good luck and have fun!

rotarius

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2021, 05:03 pm »
@rotarius , I was referring to the "Mil spec" wire you mentioned.
@sarora9 I do like the VH Audio cable but they aren't shielded and I wanted to try a shielded cable of similar quality just to see if it makes a difference for me   :)
It's too bad you cant get the BJ LC-1 cable in bulk.
Lol, you did not look at any of the listings did you?  The wires I mentioned typically have silver plated shielding.  Oh well..tried to save you money.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2021, 05:55 pm »
-Dieter
Wait! Those are both XLR balanced mic cables suitable for high interference and electrical noise locations (like on a stage near theatrical lights and smoke machines). While the can be made to work for analog (but not digital) RCA interconnects, they are far from the best Canare & Mogami choices.

sarora9

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2021, 05:56 pm »
rtate, vhaudio also stocks coax interconnect cable with shielding which they use for their own higher end pulsar interconnects. https://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html#vtwist  I don't have any experience with them.

Also Neotech has a new line of shielded cables with ribbon-like cores that look v. interesting. https://www.partsconnexion.com/neotech-interconnect-wire-cable.html