Use a 6fq7 instead of a 6sn7 in Cornet2

rotcoddam

« on: 8 Mar 2005, 06:25 am »
I was planning to do the hybrid mod and my brother in law asked why not just use the 6fq7 instead. Anyone try this? It seems I could leave the socket in, cut the trace between pin 4 and 5, and run a wire from 9 pin to 5. Oh, and change the appropriate resistors. This is a really nice sounding tube. Any opinions?

GRD

« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2005, 12:04 am »
Interesting idea.  Might make the socket problem easier to handle.  The 12BH7 is another interesting tube, and I think it has the same pinout as the 12au7.  Don't have any experience on how these alternative 9-pins would sound.

rotcoddam

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2005, 12:27 am »
I opened my amp and it looks like I'll have to isolate pin 5 from pin 4, then run a wire from pin 4 to r215r.  Then run a wire from 9 to 5. I will probably use my Dremel and a steady hand. No beer drinking during this mod. I have the 6fq7's in my Heathkit w-5m's and they sound really good.
 I wonder if it would be easier to just install the octal socket?

rotcoddam

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2005, 01:57 am »
Just finished the 6cg7 socket modification. It was easier than I thought it would be. I used  a razor knife on the traces and scraped through the copper (using a magnifying glass). I didn't want to use a dremel and make a dusty mess. Or risk letting it go out of control!
Anyway I stuck an old RCA  in there and wow, was I impressed.  more life, more dynamics. This is a highly recommended mod for the Cornet.  Now for tube rolling...again.