Hi everyone

Dako

Hi everyone
« on: 4 Jan 2021, 12:39 am »
Hi everyone. My name is Dave and I have been an audiophile for a long time. Was in it for awhile then out of it for awhile and now back into it for the past few years. As most you of know we are always searching for audio nirvana. I am close with my current gear. Have Decware ZMA, Esoteric K-05 CD/SACD player, Legacy Signature SE speakers and Decware and Acoustic Zen cabling.

I thought I was through with the audio merry go round. But the more I read, the more I am leaning towards single driver speakers. That is where I hope to lean on those of you with experience. I also do a little tube rolling but need more education on that.

Looking forwarding to conversing with all of you!!!

Happy 2021.

Dave

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2021, 01:06 am »
Welcome Dave.
Glad tô see your interest in FR drivers.
If I had a larger room I could order a Lii F15 today.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2021, 01:58 am »
Welcome!

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2021, 05:39 am »
welcome

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2021, 03:03 pm »
Single driver loudspeakers have their charms and their shortcomings.  There is no perfect loudspeaker.  If you follow Floyd Toole you'll know why (inevitable in-room bass peaks/dips from using side-by-side bass sources).  Coherent presentation is one of their strongest suites, especially if you listen near or mid-field.  Being point sources imaging is another strong point.  Another advantage of single driver loudspeakers is that by default they are "active" (one channel of amplification per driver) and thus share that advantage. 

17 years ago I commissioned FTA-2000 from Bob Brines (single driver floor standers that use a transmission line ala Martin King).  Bob has since retired.  The FTA-2000 uses 'the mighty' Fostex F200a driver (8 inch diameter, rated 30-20,000 Hz, 8 ohms, 90 dB/w/m, 80 watt peak, very well made,  AlNiCo magnet, no stinking whizzer cone so it "beams" above 4,000 Hz, when last available cost $575 each).  Not your ordinary thin sounding Fostex driver, this one is rich and full bodied.  Some knowledgable folks have called it the best single driver in the world, when given the EnABL treatment which I paid Bud Purvine $600 to perform. 

Years later Duke LeJeune, from Audio Kinesis fame, suggested adding "Late Ceiling Splash" tweeters (just $20 1 1/8 inch soft dome with a cap parallel to the loudspeakers placed directly behind the loudspeaker and pointing straight up (which provides enough delay so the ear isn't confused).  They added treble response, ambience, and expanded the sound stage.  And thanks to Earl Geddes who echoed Toole I've added 3 subwoofers.  So what I have is at setup that is wonderful for small ensembles at limited spls, but is a hybrid single driver loudspeaker.  Along the way tried JBL 708P ($4000/pair active 2-ways) that all around were wonderful performers but had their own short comings. 

But getting back to single driver loudspeakers, most lack bass due to limited X-max (plus many being relatively small), whizzer cones are simply mechanical crossovers, larger drivers "beam", most have limited spl output, and many have poor treble performance.  Most are high efficiency, which is another reason why they have limited bass response, in fact many SET fans actually dislike deep bass (an interesting phenomenon).  Coaxial drivers are only improved upon versions of 2-way designs, complete with crossover. 

Dako

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2021, 08:33 pm »
Welcome Dave.
Glad tô see your interest in FR drivers.
If I had a larger room I could order a Lii F15 today.

FRM, I was just reading on the Decware forum how Steve was raving about the new Lii Silver 10 speaker. He was in awe over it. Upon further reading, a poster did have room similar in size to mine and Stev advised against using them in a smaller room. So that dream went by the wayside.

Just ordered a piar of Omega Supr 8 XRS and am so excited. Louis was a pleasure to work with. Highest rating fro sure.

Thnaks
dave

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2021, 10:06 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Dako

If you fancy single driver speakers, you should give the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse TD712 a try. My friend use to have one, nice speakers.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2021, 11:30 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Dave    :thumb: