Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

Truder

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #180 on: 22 Feb 2021, 05:45 pm »
I did make some video's from my mueserment, so if someone likes to see that, send me an email or pm.
I also have talked to a guy who did compare puritan with niagara 5000.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2021, 10:11 am by Truder »

Truder

« Reply #181 on: 22 Feb 2021, 06:10 pm »
This is what a guy wrote to me about his experience and comparison.

Hi Truder, it was hard work today. The PSM 156 is really 2 classes better than the Niagara 5000. And then the Gigawatt PC-3, very strange, but apparently it contains a not very good DC blocker. The PSM gets my dac really quiet, but with the PC-3 the transformer keeps buzzing on and off. The sound and depth image of the PC3 is really great and it is very close to the PSm, but if you listen to them directly one after the other, you will notice that the PC3 tightens the bass a bit more and allows voices to come out better. The PSM is slightly more restless in direct comparison. In terms of sound quality, the PC3 would be my preference, but not if the direct current is not properly clean. My dealer, is now talking to Gigawatt to see if there is anything that can be done about it, I will hear that next week. In terms of price-quality ratio, puritan is well ahead, really great what they know to do for this money, fine power cables too. I wonder what will happen next week, it could be that I will end up with the PSM as the best all-rounder. Good weekend,

addition:
He bought the psm 156 anyway becaurse of the sound was almost the same and dc blocking was better from the psm 156.

Prices here:
Niagara 5000 5000€ plus price power cable.
Gigawatt pc3 evo+ with cable 5565€
Puritan psm 156 1550€ wirth cable.

debjit.g

« Reply #182 on: 22 Feb 2021, 06:24 pm »
Does anyone connect high power tube amps (like 845/805) to the Puritan ?

Yes I do. My Hegel H590 is connected and it can deliver 2x 300watt /8 ohm (600 watt /4 ohm) .
My dynaudio are 4 ohm speakers.
Dynamics are fantastic.

well, I was specifically talking about tube amps.

debjit.g

« Reply #183 on: 22 Feb 2021, 06:27 pm »
So no one uses tube amps with their Puritan ?

I am quiet happy with the performance of the PSM156. So far I had tube DAC and preamp and other solid state components (amps, servers, etc) all connected to it without issues. I hear all the audible benefits that others have described. I am not going into the details but suffices to say that the improvements has been quiet substantial in my system.

However, recently I got a Line Magnetic integrated amp and when I connect to the Puritan, I hear a nasty buzz out of the Puritan. The buzz is quiet loud and can be heard from couple of feet away. There is also transformer buzz out of the LM as well. There is also a big hum/buzz out of the speaker. Apparently it looks like a ground loop issue but I can't figure out what would cause it as everything connects to the Puritan. Lifting the ground out of the DAC seems to solve the hum/buzz from the speaker but the Puritan still buzzes like crazy when the LM is connected. The only way to make it work is to connect the LM straight to the wall duplex where the Puritan is also connected.

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts/insight into it ?   

EkW

« Reply #184 on: 23 Feb 2021, 01:13 am »
Has anyone been able to compare the Puritan products to the iFi Powerstation?  The iFi is one third the cost of the psm136. My power isn't too bad so the iFi seems like it may be a better value. According to an Alphalab Trifield EMI monitor the power coming out of my PS Audio Power Plant Premier is noisier than the input: 20 mV pp in to 50 out.