It's the Room, Stupid!

Rusty Jefferson

Re: It's the Room, Stupid!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2020, 03:39 pm »
If you can set up at the 1/3 position as Toocool4 showed, even temporarily now that the couch has moved it may help determine the best case scenario for short wall set-up. Some of the best imaging systems I've heard were positioned so you can just see the front wall room corners on the inside of the speakers, from the listening chair. Also, the later arriving reflections from the front wall should enlarge the sense of space.

The long wall set-up is always worthwhile trying.  Since your chair will have to be close to or against the rear wall, substantial diffraction will be needed on the rear wall.

And as always, equipment matters. High quality tube amplifiers, dacs, and preamps (if you use one) can greatly enhance the stage. As an example, some dacs will provide super high resolution but a front row or forward presentation, while others may have a mid-hall presentation (if your speakers/room can support it) but perhaps less resolution.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2020, 09:53 pm »
No,  setting up along the long wall would be a downgrade.   Keep it as-is. 

I know you've said you don't want to toe in the speakers.  I would encourage you to re-consider.   A problem specific to open-baffle bass, is the angle in which bass waves hit the front wall at a perpendicular angle.   You want the bass frequencies to be hitting the wall behind the speakers,  NOT at perpendicular angles.  I learned a lot about this previously when reading the manual (and experimenting with) a Carver 2-driver subwoofer.  Even slightly off-angle is better.  I'm not sure about your speakers,  but if there's a way to slightly toe-in the bass units more,  but toe in the mid/tweeter boxes less (or not at all),  that may be an improvement.   

The ability to keep the couch away from the rear wall was a great move;  not doing so is a mistake I see all too frequently.

Early B.

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2020, 11:47 pm »
I'm not sure about your speakers,  but if there's a way to slightly toe-in the bass units more,  but toe in the mid/tweeter boxes less (or not at all),  that may be an improvement.   

Yeah, my subs are toed in and my speakers are shooting straight. The toe-in was purely for aesthetic purposes, though.