I've had this question a few times.
Enough that I felt I needed to give the history a bit on the product development side of things. Grab a chair and gather round.
It wasn't long ago, maybe September or October last year when I had some HUGE XLR cables that were going to be the bread and butter of what I did. They sounded incredible, they worked great, and the looks? well, you be the judge.
Unnamed XLR prototypes made last year, just looking at them makes my hands hurt!!!!
They utilized a lot of what my other cables do, my DCSG geometry, a carbon fiber spacer/shield, and a robust braided shield exterior to that. Let me tell you, they were a pain in the
to make. When I was doing the work I always thought to myself 'what the hell am I doing? These are just short of impossible to make.' The main problem was that they used a lot of material. Terminating them was a nightmare, taking between 5-7 hours. All that said, between the time spent and the amount of materials used the back of the envelope calculation was telling me that they were not going to be feasible.
In walks KLE-I connectors...
During my prototyping stage, I decided to try using KLE-I RCA connectors for my RCAs, and instantly they took a wrecking ball to my entire XLR asperations
. I’ve tried the gamut of RCA connectors, none could hold a candle to the performance of KLE silver and Absolute models. They were so clear, clean, detailed, and so musical that out of nowhere I suddenly had an RCA cable that readily
out-performed not just my best silver XLR prototypes, but stood singularly above the sound quality of cables several multiples above their price range. (All my biased opinion of course.
I was excited! I had engineered something that was truly special. In an instant, it outperformed something that was a BEAR to engineer, and the new designs used less than half the material. From this experience sprung both Breathe and Quiescence RCA models, my personal contribution to performance first design and both stand as my most confident designs.
I put the XLR design on the back burner and went ahead with the launch without an XLR solution. Yet, I couldn’t let it go, I knew there had to be a solution!
Stay tuned, more to come later.