Best way to do a 9.1.6 home theater

mojave

Re: Best way to do a 9.1.6 home theater
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2020, 12:43 am »
I may be going with a Denon X4700H AVR and later upgrade to the Emotiva.
I recommend the X3700H vs the X4700H. The X4700 adds an extra front HDMI input, an extra DC trigger, and extra Zone 3 in addition to the extra power. The extra power only provides 1 dB more output, which is barely audible. Unless you absolutely need one of the three features, the X3700H is the better value.

jwjarch

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2020, 06:27 am »
Thanks mojave. After weighing my options I pulled the trigger on an x4500h. I don’t need the 8k features of the x4700h but I did want the Auro 3D capability that the x3x00’s don’t have.

jwjarch

« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2020, 10:45 pm »
Just wanted to post about the progression of my project.  I ordered all the kits last Wednesday from the GR Research website.  Not a few hours later Danny called me up personally to verify my order.  Now that's some great customer service.  Thank you Danny!  Looking forward to receiving the kits and starting my builds.  I also got a Maker Made M2 CNC machine (Christmas gift from my wife ;) ).  I'll be using that to cut my own flat packs for the X-Statiks, X-Voce, A/V1-RS', and my Rythimik subs.  Already in AutoCAD figuring out all the details.  This is gonna be fun!  I'll probably split off a build thread for each speaker type from here.  Stay tuned...

WarmColors

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2020, 03:25 pm »
I understand that it's best to separate a HT system with a Hi Fi system. Why though? My question that I really would like to focus on is. Would movies sound better with a high end DAC?
I understand that when editing movies engineers take in consideration multi channels. Again I am just trying to focus on a 2 channel setup on both HT and Hi Fi systems, and the pros and cons of watching a movie using 2 channels with a high end DAC.

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2020, 05:25 pm »
I understand that it's best to separate a HT system with a Hi Fi system. Why though?

Two very different purposes. It's like asking why you can't use a minivan at Nascar.       

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 18 Dec 2020, 08:39 pm »
HT depends on a shit ton of processing.  2 channel audio depend on signal simplicity and purity.  Opposite goals.

WGH

« Reply #26 on: 18 Dec 2020, 10:31 pm »
I all depends on the digital breakout box and the source. DTS Core - 2 channel is 16 bit/24KHz, LPCM 5.1 surround audio can be passed through any version of HDMI but will have to be downmixed to stereo for transfer over an optical/coaxial digital audio connection.

Blu-ray audio can be up to 24 bit/192KHz so the SPDIF output into the DAC may be a lower resolution. Too many variables to know what you will be listening to.

Unless you use a $1000 breakout box like the GeerFab D.BOB with an approved DAC (External DAC must accept DSD via the DoP protocol through S/PDIF Coax)
https://geerfab.com/audio

https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/GeerFab-D-BOB-Digital-Breakout-Box

ctviggen

« Reply #27 on: 19 Dec 2020, 12:18 pm »
In my other house, where I had a dedicated room, I was able to do 5.x (sometimes, 3 subs) and two channel. But it's a heck of a lot of work to keep a "nice" 2 channel and mix it with 5+ channel.  When you get to 9.1.6, it might not be possible. 

jwjarch

« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2020, 06:51 pm »
This is certainly an issue I have been mentally wrestling with as well. I also want to maintain a really good 2-channel system in the same room as my HT, preferably by intermixing components of the two systems. My current thought is to hook up all sources to my Denon AVR and use to distribute source material to my 2 channel setup. I would run RCA out from the AVR to my preamp, then class A amp to the left and right mains. How much this will degrade the signal remains to be seen. It also renders my Schiit DAC useless as it doesn’t make sense to integrate into the chain.

WGH

« Reply #29 on: 21 Dec 2020, 12:28 am »
I have a nice 2 channel and a 7.1.4 surround all together in the same room.

The DAC, tuner, pre-amp, amp is the stereo system.

The L & R speaker RCA line out from the surround processor go into Input #3 of the preamp. The other surround processor outputs go directly into the center, surround, rear, and Atmos amps.
When watching a video I switch to Input #3 and turn the volume up to the 12 o'clock position, which matches the other amps. The speaker loudness at 12 o'clock was calibrated using the Anthem room correction software and microphone.

I have to remember to lower the volume before switching back to the DAC or tuner. This system probably won't work with multiple users, a preamp with home theater pass-thru would be a safer solution.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #30 on: 21 Dec 2020, 03:04 am »
Hold on there fellows.

Any omni speaker like the X-Omni or A/V-O requires them to be placed at least three feet away from ANY wall. So that is not going to fit too well in a room of this size.

The A/V-1RS on the other hand will work great in this application. It is what they were designed for. And I don't think that soffit will be that much of an issue with them. Just mount them 16" down from the surface right above them.

The A/V-1RS takes into account the wall and ceiling reflection. And they will give you the large un-localized sound field that you need when the room is not that big.

Ceiling speakers might be a bit much and become very localized. They really only begin to work well when the ceiling is 12 feet high or higher. And the X-LS Encore was not designed to be mount in or on a ceiling.

Three pairs of A/V-1RS's in there and you might not need or want any more surround speakers.

Also check with your processor. Some of them only send what was recorded as rear information to the surrounds and placing some of them ahead of you might make things sound pretty odd.

And the X-Staik and X-Voce up front will be great if they are three feet or more out into the room and you treat everything well.

I just did an install in a room almost exactly this size for my daughter and her husband. I did exactly what Danny describes here with A/V-1RS I built for them on the sides and rear. I gave them Tekton Lores for mains and a Lore center channel. Also built them a sub with a 15 in a sealed enclosure powered by a Crown amp. That room doesn't need any additional speakers. More may not hurt, but I can't imagine it actually helping.

jwjarch

« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2020, 05:17 am »
WGH, I thought about this approach as well but I’m not sure how well it will work with X-Statiks in my room. The reason being, this method would bypass my subs and the X-Statiks may or may not play low enough for my listening tastes. If anyone has a setup that can still use the subs in the same configuration that WGH suggested I would love to know how you did it. Btw, I will be using A370PEQ amps on each sub that have RCA line in/out if that makes a difference.

Bullitt, great to hear about your install for your daughter. I think I’ll see how 7.2.4 works out for now.

A_shah

« Reply #32 on: 21 Dec 2020, 05:27 am »
Thanks mojave. After weighing my options I pulled the trigger on an x4500h. I don’t need the 8k features of the x4700h but I did want the Auro 3D capability that the x3x00’s don’t have.

A few months Back  I ordered a X3600H but next day Denon announced the release of X3700 before I could cancel the order the Seller shipped/ overnighted   a Denon Heo 3 & a Denon AVR X4500H as a free upgrade. I decided to keep it i use an external amp with it for the two fronts & center Channel very happy with the unit !  much quieter as per specs from the 3600 /3700 I don't need an 8K any way I prefer a direct input to the  smart Oled LG C 77 TV instead of going through the AVR.

Asghar

jwjarch

« Reply #33 on: 21 Dec 2020, 05:40 am »
Asghar, not a bad deal you got there. I have to say the x4500h does sound pretty good. I’ve been using it in my temporary 2-channel system to “burn it in” and make sure it’s working well before moving it into my listening room. So I think I may just be able to get away with it performing DAC and pre-pre amp duty. I do plan on performing listening tests with the AVR configuration vs my dedicated 2-channel setup.

WGH

« Reply #34 on: 21 Dec 2020, 06:03 am »
If anyone has a setup that can still use the subs in the same configuration that WGH suggested I would love to know how you did it.

The A370PEQ amps have high level (speaker) inputs you should use from your stereo amp, you will get better sound too.
The LFE (low frequency effects) output from the processor/receiver go to the A370PEQ line level RCA inputs.

When watching movies all the speakers, including the stereo amp (i.e. the L & R stereo speakers and the sub high level inputs) are rolled off at 80 Hz and all bass is directed to the LFE by the processor/receiver.
Since the preamp/amp is connected to the processor the bass from the high level inputs is rolled off so you are not over driving the woofers, the subs now only get low bass through the LFE input.

jwjarch

« Reply #35 on: 21 Dec 2020, 06:32 am »
Thank you WGH! I didn’t think about the effect of the high pass. That should do it! I can’t wait to get everything moved in and hooked up in the room.