BCD-3 Fuse upgrade

thorman

BCD-3 Fuse upgrade
« on: 12 Oct 2020, 04:43 pm »
Hello : Wondering if any BCD-3 Users are upgrading fuses and having success or not worth the cost ??

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: BCD-3 Fuse upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2020, 06:05 pm »
This is just another audiophile myth. The Bryston engineering team chooses the correct fuses in the design stage.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2020, 06:42 pm »
 Yes , I would think  Bryston would pick the best one..... :thumb:

thorman

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2020, 06:46 pm »
 Thank you both for you replies......Love my BCD-3 ...

gbaby

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:03 pm »
This is just another audiophile myth. The Bryston engineering team chooses the correct fuses in the design stage.

True. :o

redbook

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2020, 12:41 pm »
Me too, it has brought much pleasure to my cd listening than I could ever image. :thumb:

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2020, 04:25 pm »
Agree with all the posters.  My classical music CD collection never sounded better.
Love my BCD-3!

cementhead

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2020, 05:50 pm »
But, has anyone tried it? We (as a group) upgrade cables, add power conditioning, to get the best out of our systems. I, for one have not tried the fuse thing. That being said, I do love this player! Could it be even better?? :D

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2020, 06:19 pm »
Why waste time, effort and money on every dumb thing that someone suggest?  Bryston knows more about making good equipment, than all the snake-oil people that start these things every will.

donpinar

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2020, 06:50 pm »
I love my BCD-3 and can't imagine you could find a nicer sounding player for even double the price. A good improvement from my BCD-1.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2020, 09:15 pm »

All I can tell you is that when I first read the hoopla about such fuses, I decided to do a little research. I discovered that the manufacturers of 'audiophile' fuses provided scant information about their 'fuses', omitting the most critical parameters of their performance. So, I contacted two of them, inquiring about clearing time, etc. One manufacturer didn't respond and the other avoided specificity, but stated that their fuses were all of the slow-blow variety. In other words, if you love your BCD-3, don't replace the fuse that Bryston's engineers carefully selected with something that won't clear in time to prevent extensive damage in the unlikely event that something goes wrong.

redbook

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2020, 10:20 pm »
Why waste time, effort and money on every dumb thing that someone suggest?  Bryston knows more about making good equipment, than all the snake-oil people that start these things every will.
...... :thumb:

redbook

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2020, 10:21 pm »
All I can tell you is that when I first read the hoopla about such fuses, I decided to do a little research. I discovered that the manufacturers of 'audiophile' fuses provided scant information about their 'fuses', omitting the most critical parameters of their performance. So, I contacted two of them, inquiring about clearing time, etc. One manufacturer didn't respond and the other avoided specificity, but stated that their fuses were all of the slow-blow variety. In other words, if you love your BCD-3, don't replace the fuse that Bryston's engineers carefully selected with something that won't clear in time to prevent extensive damage in the unlikely event that something goes wrong.... Such a very good point ...I agree 100% with that.

rmurray

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2020, 10:27 pm »
I love my BCD-3 and can't imagine you could find a nicer sounding player for even double the price. A good improvement from my BCD-1....yes , on that "note".. :lol: I would like to express my joy in the BCD-3 tray loader choice from  Stream  Unlimited...it is appears to be a much better built mechanism than the BCD1's Phillips loader was.....bravo again to the  Bryston folks. :thumb: :thumb:

redbook

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2020, 10:30 pm »
 I  heartily agree with that....Stream Unlimited appears to be a serious  company in all digital gear..

ragg987

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2020, 12:33 pm »
I have tried fuse changes on 2 pieces of Bryston equipment. For approx $15 each I felt it worth a try.

4Bsst changed main fuse to a 5A slow-blow. Nice improvement in sound, smoother and less shouty. Subtle change, not major.

SP3 changed main fuse to 1A slow-blow. Could not detect any difference but have left the fuse in anyway. In both cases rating is based on UK 230v.

This is what I used: https://amr-audio.co.uk/products/gold-fuses/