X series owners - toe in

Jprod

X series owners - toe in
« on: 5 Dec 2020, 02:21 pm »
Hello. I have had my incredible x5s for 7 months now.  Due to various circumstances I have still not reached the 250 hr break in mark but am starting to play a little with toe in.
I know that everyone’s room set up and preferences differ but I was wondering how much toe in x series owners are using. 
I initially had it at 22 degrees. Speakers are 48 inches from back wall. With this toe in my one edge is at 51 inches and the other at 45 inches from back wall
I just tried a little more toe in at 26° - too early to tell at this point
I’m thinking about also going a little less to 18°

If any one else wants to chime in it would be appreciated. 

Big Red Machine

Re: X series owners - toe in
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2020, 02:52 pm »
With a laser pointer on the inside edge, I have the speakers firing at just outside my shoulders. This provides a spread of players across the stage and gives a decent front to back placement of players. I do the same thing with my Wilsons (they do a better job of sound stage placement).

This puts the speakers approx 8 feet apart and almost 9 feet to my ears. Room is 16 wide and 20 deep.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2020, 02:59 pm »
This provides a spread of players across the stage and gives a decent front to back placement of players. I do the same thing with my Wilsons (they do a better job of sound stage placement).

If it's only decent, you do not have them optimized. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2020, 03:30 pm »
If it's only decent, you do not have them optimized.

Then provide your wisdom to the OP grand wizard!

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2020, 03:34 pm »
With a laser pointer on the inside edge, I have the speakers firing at just outside my shoulders. ...
This is about where mine are as well, which sounded best to me. I started with a lot more toe in and backed off quite a bit, much to the better from an imaging standpoint. 19w x 17d x 8h very asymmetric room.

JTF

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2020, 05:15 pm »
Mine are 22° right now, pulled out 55" (measured to the center), this works well in my room. I've moved them around quite a bit, everything from pointing straight out to 45°+ and placed in the corners. They also sounded good with more extreme toe in, crossing in front of the listening position.

Jprod

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2020, 06:33 pm »
Thanks.  I am actually going to try 18 degrees which roughly puts the inside edge on my shoulders. 26 degrees sounded  a little too closed in .

geerock

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2020, 08:04 pm »
When doing toe in, it is important to know the
distance from the side walls so that the angle of the first reflection off the rear wall can be taken into account.

tarheeltraveler

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2021, 03:14 am »
Hello fellow Spatial owners. I’ve had my X3s for four months and have settled on a setup I’m really happy with.  I had much more toe-in in the beginning but they are much flatter to the front wall now- 16 degrees.  Measured to the center of the 12 inch driver the X3s are 8 feet apart and 11 feet to my listening position.  That points them outboard of my shoulders.  This creates a very broad soundstage with a well-developed center.  Outboard of each speaker are two GIK free-standing panels dealing with first reflections. No treatment behind the X3s.   Lots of treatment on the ceiling and back wall.  Large area rug on the floor.  Amazing speakers as you know.  No fatigue at all.  Nice work Mr. Shaw. 

aniwolfe

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2021, 05:07 pm »
Even better results IMHO is Extreme Toe In. I am currently using this method with my X2's and getting great results. The mids are laser sharp in the middle of the soundstage...no beaming. Its FREE and could make a Good system sound Great.

Link below from fellow AudioCircle member demonstration this easy tweak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1NP-s2p_pw