LDR300x.V3 Preamp Tour

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR300x.V3 Preamp Tour
« Reply #40 on: 16 Nov 2020, 01:07 pm »
Hi All,

Lockup Issue - Something to be aware of is the possibility that the tour preamp may lockup and become non-responsive. This is one of those bugs that got by us during development but showed up in production because of the variations in performance from one microcontroller chip to the next. Took us quite a while to get to the bottom of this behavior but it was due to an improper clock setting on the microcontroller. Some units were fine with this and others not so much. This has been corrected going forward through a simple change in the firmware. Just a heads up in case anyone on the tour observes this behavior with the tour unit - just reboot and carry on.

Cheers,
Morten

Delta77

« Reply #41 on: 19 Nov 2020, 01:57 pm »
Giving this preamp a work out , day 3 listening to some very familiar tracks from Hirie..

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #42 on: 19 Nov 2020, 02:27 pm »
Giving this preamp a work out , day 3 listening to some very familiar tracks from Hirie..

Noticed that the preamp was in Mono mode as indicated by the "Mono" message in upper right hand corner of the display. We sometimes get calls from owners asking about this. You can toggle between  stereo and mono mode by pressing the center button on the remote 2 times in a row (not too fast, not too slow). In normal stereo mode the "Mono" message will disappear - it won't say "Stereo".

Thought I'd mention this just in case you weren't aware of it.

Cheers,
Morten

Mollydog

« Reply #43 on: 20 Nov 2020, 04:46 am »
Not sure if I can still get on the list.  I would like to.  Regards,  Rich

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #44 on: 20 Nov 2020, 01:40 pm »
A quick update on the status of the tour.

1) uncola - HI
2) MttBsh - WA
3) Delta77 - CA  (has it now)

4) LarryD56 - ID (up next)
5) Emiel - AZ
6) jriggy - IN
7) Bob2 - MI
8') sruffle - NJ
9) krustykat - NC
10) GentleBender - FL

Standby List
1) Mollydog

Delta77

« Reply #45 on: 23 Nov 2020, 02:14 pm »
Hello all,
I removed the LDR300xV3 yesterday, and have the mailing info for Emiel..
I will mail today after work..

I listened to the Tortuga just the way it came, without trying to change it to the passive state.. I didn’t want to make any changes over the 5-6 days I had to audition the unit..

The first day was great the second day was kinda IDK (maybe my ears) not so good.. The third day the Tortuga was playing great again which lasted until I took it out..

So I will give some description of some of the things I noticed.. As you can see I’m not much of a writer, but I will give it a shot..

Smooth , is the first word on my notes.. I also wrote that the soundstage seems to have been taken under the wings of the Tortuga (not exactly sure how to describe it)..
Everything was in the right place and the db levels seem to also be under control..

Control was second on my notes.. The Tortuga LDR300xV3 has Lots of adjustable volume control..Also very easy to adjust little increments.. No funky noises, pops, or clicks, Nice...

No listening fatigue was noticed while in my system.. I listened to the Tortuga about 4-6 hours a day for 5-6 days.. I didn’t experience any strong feelings of wanting to remove it (which is what usually happens when a product doesn’t work for me)..

Lastly I didn’t feel as though my system out classed the Tortuga preamp, but I would probably be more interested in their higher end models..

Thanks Morten for sending it my way,
Burt...

My system for reference...

InnuOS, Zen - Streamer
Modwright/OPPO, 205 - DAC /CDP
Decware, Zrock2- Bass restoration (bypassed)
Aric Audio, passive- Preamp ( replaced with Tortuga LDR300xV3 )
Aric Audio, Super 300B - Amp
Tekton, Double Impact SE- Speakers
Tekton, Enzo - Subs x2
PI Audio Group, UberBUSS- conditioner
Zenwave, RCA & SC
TWL & Cullencable, power cables

Delta77

« Reply #46 on: 24 Nov 2020, 12:15 am »
Morten messaged me the address info for Emiel in Az., so that is where I shipped it..
Here is the tracking info..

LarryD56

« Reply #47 on: 25 Nov 2020, 01:01 am »
Hoping the preamp makes it's way to me next (I thought it was heading my way this week). This actually works out better for me since I'd like to pair it up with my new Cherry STM MkII that should be arriving any time now. I've got five people ready to take a listen when the preamp shows up.

Larry D.

MttBsh

« Reply #48 on: 25 Nov 2020, 01:44 am »
Hoping the preamp makes it's way to me next (I thought it was heading my way this week). This actually works out better for me since I'd like to pair it up with my new Cherry STM MkII that should be arriving any time now. I've got five people ready to take a listen when the preamp shows up.

Larry D.

Hi Larry, I too hooked the LDR300x.V3 to my relatively new Cherry STM MKII amp and I think you’ll find it makes an amazing pairing. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #49 on: 25 Nov 2020, 04:27 pm »

Larry D.

My apologies to LarryD56 for not following the published order. It was purely accidental. I've updated the tour list to reflect where we are.

1) uncola - HI
2) MttBsh - WA
3) Delta77 - CA

4) Emiel - AZ (has it now)
5) LarryD56 - ID (up next)
6) jriggy - IN
7) Bob2 - MI
8') sruffle - NJ
9) krustykat - NC
10) GentleBender - FL

Standby List
1) Mollydog

Emiel

« Reply #50 on: 27 Nov 2020, 12:35 am »
Sorry for not checking in earlier, I just saw that it was shipped to me. I looked at the UPS tracking code and looks like something went wrong with my unit number and UPS had to correct it and are delivering it tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it hooked up tomorrow!

Emiel

« Reply #51 on: 27 Nov 2020, 08:47 pm »

The preamp just made it to my door, safe and sound! Plugged it into the system and have been listening for the last hour. Initial impressions is that it sounds very controlled compared to my Schiit Saga, especially in the bass department of which I have plenty on tap. Cranking the volume for a quick stress test revealed that the bass stays very controlled and clean even at very high volumes. This is not something that sounds entirely pleasant when I try it with my Schiit Saga, but with LDR300x I feel like I will be pushing the volume up a little bit over the next few days because it sounds very good at high volume, sorry neighbours!

The system is fully open-baffle and consists of:

DAC: Parasound D/AC 1100 HD
Amplifier: Dayens Menuetto
Subwoofer Amplifier: Dayton SA1000
Speakers: Caintuck Audio Betsy baffle with 8 inch Alnico Wild Burro drivers
Subwoofer: Dayton Audio PSS555-8 21" Subwoofer, naked/no-baffle

LarryD56

« Reply #52 on: 29 Nov 2020, 07:57 pm »
Hi Larry, I too hooked the LDR300x.V3 to my relatively new Cherry STM MKII amp and I think you’ll find it makes an amazing pairing. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

MttBsh,

I'm supposed to get my King STM MkII by Wednesday. Had the double rail caps added. The delayed schedule works out the best so that I can hear the new amp and Tortuga preamp together. I already have a Megaschino, but I wanted to have a new amp for the upstairs system. Also purchased a DAC DAC 3, but they're not quite through production yet. Looking forward to hearing what the Tortuga can do in my system.

Larry D.

MttBsh

« Reply #53 on: 29 Nov 2020, 10:14 pm »
MttBsh,

I'm supposed to get my King STM MkII by Wednesday. Had the double rail caps added. The delayed schedule works out the best so that I can hear the new amp and Tortuga preamp together. I already have a Megaschino, but I wanted to have a new amp for the upstairs system. Also purchased a DAC DAC 3, but they're not quite through production yet. Looking forward to hearing what the Tortuga can do in my system.

Larry D.

Larry - that's great that you will hear the two together, I have no doubt you will love the Tortuga/Cherry combination. I would also be very interested in hearing your impression of how the King STM MkII compares to the Megashino, which I have never heard but would love to some day down the road.

Matt