Heil ESS AMT Speakers on DROP

Jon L

Heil ESS AMT Speakers on DROP
« on: 17 Aug 2020, 03:37 pm »
Nice dipole Heil AMT tweeter with two 6" woofers. 
One of the biggest complaints of Heil speakers is that they tried to cross over the AMT tweeter too low to the large woofers, resulting in higher distortion and incoherence. 
With 6" driver, I suspect the crossover point is much higher than larger ESS speakers. 

https://drop.com/buy/ess-amt-le-6-inch-speakers?utm_placement=0&referer=9RTP34&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202020-08-17&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1597652657538.036149778208514047241841

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Heil ESS AMT Speakers on DROP
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2020, 03:51 pm »
Since I don't want to sign up for their extended email bombardment, could you please tell us the price?

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2020, 04:50 pm »
$850/Pair.  Free shipping.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2020, 05:48 pm »
One has to admire the DIY guys who find ways to achieve their goal to lower the frequency response and distortion.  I especially loved these two builders from from Klipsch Forum who double stacked AMT's and made waveguides. 

From "No.4" using LaScala bass bins
AMTstackLascaleNo.4 by drjlo2, on Flickr

From "Rudy81" using open baffle woofers
AMTstackOBbassRudy81 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Dmason

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2020, 12:25 am »
$850/pair about the same cost as the two raw AMT drivers. THIS is a good deal..

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2020, 01:53 am »
$850/Pair.  Free shipping.

Hey!

Hmmm... $850 made here in the US and free shipping? Very interesting, but the only to know if this is a great deal is to listen to them. Well, I wish I could.

Buddy

fredgarvin

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2020, 02:53 am »
$850/pair about the same cost as the two raw AMT drivers. THIS is a good deal..
Those two drivers would cost you $300.

http://esslabsusa.com/heil-amt/

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2020, 03:42 am »
At 15 lbs each (with 2 woofers), I wonder about the enclosures. That's an easy place to hide corner-cutting, especially in an online store where you can't give it the 'knock-knock' test until you unbox it. Might benefit from the old Van Alstine plasticlay trick (it still works!) or some No-Rez.

96dB sensitivity (at 6Ω though) sounds like an easy load for those without massive amps.

Details are typical Drop 'word salad'. It is described as a 'faithful reproduction of the original AMT-1', a speaker I heard demo'd at a McIntosh amp clinic as a teenager. That speaker was much bigger than this one and had a single forward-facing 12" woofer IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if the driver blending is better with the 6" woof.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2020, 11:46 am »
Specs say 40hz bass extension with the two paper cone woofers, nothing spectacular, but about right for two modestly priced drivers of that size.  I'm in a quandary with the price on two fronts.  One, it's only 15% off of retail, not much better than you'd see on Amazon or get from a B&M store.  Two, at $850 we're way over budget for single components and bouncing really close to total system guidelines in C&C.  Since I hate moving threads please give me a reason to leave it here, what could you combine it with to make an under (or close to under) $1,000 system?

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2020, 04:27 pm »
what could you combine it with to make an under (or close to under) $1,000 system?

LOL.  Lemme help you out here.  I was thinking about pairing this ESS speaker with SMSL AD18 DAC/Amp, which goes for $144.99 and has garnered great reviews for sound quality.  It has coax and USB digital input, as well as bluetooth, and at 80 watts/4 Ohms, is reported to have plenty of power for speakers much less sensitive than the ESS speaker.  Add your laptop or smartphone and done  :thumb:

https://apos.audio/collections/brand-spotlight-smsl/products/smsl-ad18-bluetooth-usb-power-amplifier

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2020, 04:38 pm »
If I was not already speakered up, I would buy these, esp. with the 96 db eff. Looks like a no brainer to me.

Rocket Ronny

Mike B.

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2020, 05:11 pm »
I don't see them listed at the ESS site

https://essspeakers.store/collections/speakers

Sparky14

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2020, 05:40 pm »
I don't see them listed at the ESS site

https://essspeakers.store/collections/speakers

It is a Massdrop specific edition of the AMT LE 6".

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2020, 01:49 pm »
LOL.  Lemme help you out here.  I was thinking about pairing this ESS speaker with SMSL AD18 DAC/Amp, which goes for $144.99 and has garnered great reviews for sound quality.  It has coax and USB digital input, as well as bluetooth, and at 80 watts/4 Ohms, is reported to have plenty of power for speakers much less sensitive than the ESS speaker.  Add your laptop or smartphone and done  :thumb:

https://apos.audio/collections/brand-spotlight-smsl/products/smsl-ad18-bluetooth-usb-power-amplifier

Sweet!  Thanks for completing the system.

genjamon

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2020, 08:03 pm »
They look almost small enough for desktop use - certainly for close/nearfield listening.  At close distances, it would greatly mitigate issues with poor cabinet construction by requiring many fewer watts.  In nearfield and/or small room use, they could be pretty interesting.  Though if they impressed initially I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be long before I'd doubled my investment in adding No Rez, and upgrading crossover components.