Spatial X5 - Don Sachs comments on his new X5s

TomS

Re: Spatial X5 - Don Sachs comments on his new X5s
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2020, 11:42 pm »
Somebody clarify for me: is the X5 more expensive than the X3 because the woofer is larger? I was scanning the details pages back and forth and that's about all I could see different. Did I get that right?
Yes, X3 (15") is $8500, X5 (12") is $6950. The baffle is also slightly taller and wider for the X3. Some prefer the tweeter to be lower, as in the X5 (at least I do). The 12" X5 is plenty in my room, 17x19x8 plus other room openings.

sunnydaze

« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2020, 12:53 am »
Somebody clarify for me: is the X5 more expensive than the X3 because.......

According to what I see on the website, X3 is more expensive than X5.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2020, 01:54 pm »
I wonder if a tubed integrated would be a good match with these efficient speakers. Maybe a Class A?

screener

« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2020, 03:31 pm »
I wonder if a tubed integrated would be a good match with these efficient speakers. Maybe a Class A?

Here's a video that might answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su41Ivt7VbA&feature=youtu.be

Look around the 1hr 16 minute mark.

TomS

« Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2020, 10:43 pm »
I'm using the Don Sachs Valhalla ~30wpc, integrated KT66's, 6SN7 preamp section, dead quiet on the X5's, drives them no problem. Also using the Bricasti M1 SE DAC.

Ern Dog

« Reply #25 on: 19 Oct 2020, 01:42 am »
I'm using the Don Sachs Valhalla ~30wpc, integrated KT66's, 6SN7 preamp section, dead quiet on the X5's, drives them no problem. Also using the Bricasti M1 SE DAC.

How does it sound?  And what were your previous speakers?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2020, 11:45 am »
So it appears the woofers are powered so a low powered amp would do the trick then. How difficult is it to integrate the bass?

TomS

« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2020, 12:21 pm »
So it appears the woofers are powered so a low powered amp would do the trick then. How difficult is it to integrate the bass?
Yes, very simple to do, just a volume knob on the amps. The Hypex amps have pre-programmed settings for DSP from Spatial, nothing there for the user to mess with at all. I've had them cranked up for break-in, which takes considerable time. Once my GIK treatment package arrives, I'll reset everything to "normal", as I'll probably have 100-150 hrs by then (2 more weeks).

I'm planning to experiment a bit with power amps, perhaps post that on another thread, as this one is about Don's amp. IMHO I wouldn't do the fleawatt thing in a room of reasonable size. The DS ~30wpc toob'd is very nice match for my medium size room. The drivers themselves can support huge power, but you'd have to leave the room, maybe the house, if you got carried away. But, you won't hurt them. One thing you definitely want is quiet, lower gain structure amps, as you'll hear it on the AMT @97db. The DS Valhalla is dead quiet, which really surprised me.

TomS

« Reply #28 on: 19 Oct 2020, 12:26 pm »
How does it sound?  And what were your previous speakers?
I'm still in break-in period, so hard to comment just yet. They change a lot.

Previous was Focal Sopra No 2 with a Devialet Expert 220 Pro. JBL M2's and TAD Evolution One's for ~4 years before that. All very good, each has their own charms.

jriggy

« Reply #29 on: 19 Oct 2020, 04:29 pm »
All new system...congrats, Tom!!!

Jason

TomS

« Reply #30 on: 19 Oct 2020, 05:15 pm »
All new system...congrats, Tom!!!

Jason
Thanks, all part of the fun, as you well know  :wink:

radarnyc

« Reply #31 on: 19 Oct 2020, 10:07 pm »
Hi Tom - what’s your room treatment plan; what are putting into traps, absorbers and diffusion? Thanks!

TomS

« Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2020, 11:17 pm »
Hi Tom - what’s your room treatment plan; what are putting into traps, absorbers and diffusion? Thanks!
10 traps, a compromise combination of both, as it's in our main "shared" living space, which is very difficult to accommodate what's needed. It also serves double duty, 2 separate systems, for 2ch and HT (Atmos 5.1.4). I'll provide more details and some pics when the GIK's finally arrive and are in place.