ATC scm40 amplification recommendation needed

yuhengdu

ATC scm40 amplification recommendation needed
« on: 21 Jul 2020, 12:42 am »
Hi,

I have a v1 ATC scm40 passives which I enjoyed the mids presentation. My source is prism sound dream da1 and I use conrad johnson pv5 as preamp.

Are there any recommendations for amplifications? I prefer class D amps which are not heavy and do not run hot. Any suggestions or experiments of amps with atc40s are welcome. Thanks.

Yuheng

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: ATC scm40 amplification recommendation needed
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2020, 04:11 am »
I don't have a specific amp, but would recommend a warm sounding amp to tame the highs a bit with the v1s.

yuhengdu

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2020, 04:25 am »
I don't have a specific amp, but would recommend a warm sounding amp to tame the highs a bit with the v1s.

Thanks! I have tried the following amps with atc40 in reverse chronological order:

Audio Alchemy DPA1 (currently using)
Digital Amplifier Company Maraschino King version
Pioneer M22 class A amp
Mivera Icepower 1200
Benchmark AHB2
Nord Acoustics One up NC500 MB MKII (SI994 and Sparkos op-amp)

So far I loved the pioneer M22 the most but it has to go because wife thinks it generates too much heat at summer now. DAC maraschino was clean but a tad harsh on highs. Mivera Icepower was also very good on mids and I even preferred it to the famous AHB2 (clean but soundstage is a bit small compared to Mivera 1200 in my system).

I always love lush mids with large 3d sound stage. The CJ pv5 preamp has been doing a great job so far. I just feel the amp I am currently using (DPA1) is a bit lacking in terms of clarity sometimes and want to experiment more. I am eyeing on the Nord nc1200 since I love to fine tune with the different op-amps in its input buffer. But I have not seen a good deal on those yet.

I was reading that EVS1200 and DAC megaschino are good but i don’t know which one will suit me and my system better.

I am also going to receive a schiit freya plus tube pre next month. I will pair it with a pair of RCA 6SN7 red base (which is know for the good mids) to see how it holds up with my CJ pv5 pre.

Bob Stark

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2020, 04:53 am »
Hey Yuheng,

I've heard the ATC 40s with Nuforce Ref 9 V3 SE mono amps.  The sound was very good in all ways--dynamic, excellent detail, and sounds more like live music than any amp I've heard prior.  I had my pair of Ref 9's upgraded with TDSS level 3 mods that made them absolutely super amps in all ways.  Took the standard 175 watts/ channel and made them like 225 per.  Makes the amps much more reliable and they run warm at most.  You can carry both amps under one arm quite easily.  I use a TRL DUDE tube preamp with awesome power supplies.  The combo is stunning.  The DUDE is 75 lbs. with a huge chassis and the Ref 9s are almost cute in their small size.  If I had heard the ATC's with the upgraded Ref 9's, I may have bought them on the spot.  I have a fantastic pair of VMPS RM40 BCSE edition w/ MLS cabinets and all the upgrades except the outboard crossover.  Trying to find a smaller speaker than the RM40s that sounds as good is VERY difficult and maybe impossible.

Bob

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2020, 11:37 am »
Is it practical for you to change to the v2s?
You have used some very nice amps, it might be better to find some gently used v2s with the ATC made tweeters to get the sound you are wanting.

Bob Stark

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2020, 01:21 pm »
My comments were about the ATC 40 V2, having not heard the original version.  Sorry, I forget about that.

Bob

yuhengdu

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2020, 09:02 pm »
Is it practical for you to change to the v2s?
You have used some very nice amps, it might be better to find some gently used v2s with the ATC made tweeters to get the sound you are wanting.

Thanks. What are the major differences between v2 and v1? I don't see any v2s for sale in the used market. I would love to get a pair if they show up.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2020, 09:15 pm »
https://the-ear.net/how-to/atc-builds-better-tweeter

The last paragraph sums up the sound difference.

https://hifipig.com/atc-scm-11-loudspeakers/

Although the previous model was thoroughly enjoyable they could sometimes bite back when fed with less than adequate recordings, as we say ‘rubbish in, rubbish out’. However now in their prime and more mature manner the ATC new in-house designed and built tweeter has the experience to tackle events with a second nature and never be phased or rocked of its confidence giving it the hallmark of a truly outstanding achievement by the company.

yuhengdu

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2020, 11:15 pm »
https://the-ear.net/how-to/atc-builds-better-tweeter

The last paragraph sums up the sound difference.

https://hifipig.com/atc-scm-11-loudspeakers/

Although the previous model was thoroughly enjoyable they could sometimes bite back when fed with less than adequate recordings, as we say ‘rubbish in, rubbish out’. However now in their prime and more mature manner the ATC new in-house designed and built tweeter has the experience to tackle events with a second nature and never be phased or rocked of its confidence giving it the hallmark of a truly outstanding achievement by the company.

Thanks for the information above, really helpful!

Yuheng

kaka89

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2020, 04:38 am »
I am using Nuprime ST-10 with ATC 40 v2

Sounds good.