Pondering getting into Vinyl

Sonny

Re: Pondering getting into Vinyl
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2020, 06:56 pm »
Tuan, they continue to perform flawlessly ! ......... :thumb:

Dave

Awesome Dave!  Glad you still love them after how many years now?  Great for VPI tonearms and ultra low output MC Carts too!
Tuan

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2020, 03:11 am »
Swiss, if you want to get into vinyl, we can look at me loaning you my TT and phono preamp.  Or at least my phono pre.  You might see if Dean has a good vintage TT to sell.  He can loan you a cartridge as well.  He may be selling his Thorens TD-125  but I haven't talked to him in a while.

You can get into vinyl with a pretty good budget system for $1500 to $1700  and maybe less.   Lounge Audio LCR MKiii  phono preamp for $300, Ortofon Blue cartridge for $240 (although, I am not a fan of the Blue or Red but a lot of people like the Blue), Rega Elys 2 $299, Nagaoka MP-150  or a Sumiko Moonstone  $299 which got a very good review in Analog Planet.

Add a Rega RP3 TT, Music Hall 5.3 one of the Pro-jects. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2020, 03:41 am »
I lived through the 'golden era' of vinyl.

I don't miss it and have no interest in trying to re-create it..

guf

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2020, 02:18 pm »
I purchased a turntable last October.  I started with ZERO records. I could care less about the "vinyl experience". And I don't love getting up and flipping the record. I listen to SO much more music now because it sounds so incredible. I have turned on my Big 7 less than 5 times, I have spent a ton of money, probably not as much as I had the previous years on constantly upgrading, but a lot. I made it a priority in my life.  I have 3-400 records, a few carts, and a new appreciation for music that I never had.

swisstrips

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2020, 12:03 pm »
Interesting comments from all thank you and they all make sense based on each experiences.  Both ends of the spectrum :)  I'm leaning towards sending in my DAC to get some updates.  I sort of get the feeling that after investing all the time and $ the whole thing will "ware" off, dunno could be totally wrong about that. 

It was mentioned to get an older table and have it refurb'd - I do have a resource for that specifically which is the same indiv that refurb'd Larry's thorens I believe.  So that is an option.  I may just take Larry up on his offer and borrow some of his items just to see how vinyl would sound in my rig. 

nature boy

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2020, 01:11 pm »
If I didn't have a large collection of vinyl and enjoy the process of starting up my Nottingham TT platter by hand, I'd probably just stick with a digital set up. Having accumulated over 1,500 albums and hauling them through several moves, there is some nostalgic enjoyment you simply don't get with CD's or streaming.

With that said the SQ offered by today's digital equipment and HiRez streaming services, plus the convenience and ability to experience new music makes this option a no brainier. Also, you don't need all the associated storage vinyl requires.

Cheers,

NB

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Re: Pondering getting into Vinyl Elisabeth is right on...
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2020, 04:21 pm »
I had been considering buying a good turntable, cartridge and phono stage to get back into vinyl also. In 2001 I sold my Linn Sondek with a Monster Cable MC and a Meitner phono stage. I realized later on that I should not have sold them.... all my audio friends kept their analog equipment and are now enjoying their vinyl renaissance. Well a couple of weeks ago one of those friends gave me a Denon dp-300f automatic turntable $299-320-with a Denon mm cartridge that he was not using. It was new. So what the hell, bought a Schiit Mani phono stage, a small investment for experimenting, and I am going thruthe 100 -200 lps I still have. I also ordered an LPgear Vessel mm cartridge $100- to optimize the turntable a little bit. BTW, as it is,  the whole thing sounds much better than I thought it would. The Mani phono stage trumps a NAD phono stage I was also using.

So, I was already considering further,  getting a Regaplanar 3 and a mc cartridge to really get back into this vinyl craziness. But I have realized “reality”; My digital front end sounds fantastic, and very musical - and quiet- at least to me. To really get near the sound quality that it provides I would have to spend much more money than I am willing. And I would still be hearing pops and clicks. So for now I have decided to go no further with my investment and enjoy my lp’s and buy some new ones. Last night I put Al Stewart’s The Year of the cat and Cat Stevens lps I still have and really enjoyed it.

Elizabeth’s comments on this thread were succinct and powerful at the same time, and made me rethink the whole thing in light of the above.

I had also read John Darko’s article “The incovenient truth about vinyl” in his Darko Audio site. Very compelling and enlightening regarding this theme. It basically reflects what Elisabeth mentions as well as the above points I addressed. I will keep you informed of my experience with the Lp gear cartridge, which supposedly is pretty good.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jun 2020, 04:39 pm »
After being without a turntable for about 20 years, I recently bought a nice used one and tried it out.  It is now sitting here unused and will soon be up for sale.  For me digital is a superior system.  I seldom listen to an entire album, something that is difficult in vinyl.  And now I remember how I wouldn't play an album without running it through my VPI cleaner.  Now I just push a button on a remote. Don't like that song?  Push the button again.  I also cannot stand the clicks and pops.  And to my ears, digital is generally better sounding, although I have heard some really mega-buck tables that sounded fantastic.  But a $10K cartridge is just not in my future. I have no issue with my friends who love their vinyl - when at their homes I enjoy it.  But it is not for me.

Folsom

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2020, 04:48 pm »
I probably disagree with everyone here. IMO vinyl is just better. If you don't mind having an extra hobby that is finding it and cleaning it... Which I think there is pleasure and pain to it. That makes it that much more valuable. I enjoy going to record stores. When I travel I have something to do, stop by record stores.

Digital is ok. It cost an awful lot to make it good. Minor amounts of tweaking and proper setup can make a $100~ cartridge all you'll ever need. Sure you can spend more but you can get world class sound out of a cheap cart - but nothing after the turntable can be that cheap for great sound.

Also I listen to albums. Listening to single songs is torture that must be endured when testing something.

charmerci

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2020, 06:02 pm »
I will just ask you one thing. Is there anything about the sound quality of the system that bothers you? Do you feel like "something" is missing?

If not, I would say avoid vinyl because after a while the inconvenience/effort, the pops and noise and the money for a fancy cleaner and all new records will probably make the effort not worth it.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2020, 06:13 pm »
I have a modest analog rig with a fully refurbished vintage 1976 Thorens TD-145, Nagaoka MP-200  cartridge and a Bellari VP-29 phono pre that a friend gave me using a vintage 150's Raytheon black plate tube that took this budget phono pre to a whole nother level of refinement and musicality.  My digital rig is much more high end with a Luxman DA-06 DAC.  I enjoy both equally.  They are different sides of a coin sonically.  Some things on vinyl sound superior, smooth, more lifelike other times vinyl sounds like  crap.  It all depends upon the quality of the recording for both vinyl and digital.

My issue with some newer vinyl is that it was recorded using digital gear and it loses the vinyl sound.

I have a friend that never heard vinyl until he heard my rig (he is a digital guy).  After a couple of minutes of listening to vinyl he said "I get it.  I understand why people like vinyl".

I have to admit, that I like the fact that I do not have to flip records and that I can skip over songs that I do not like.  Digital is much more convenient as people here have pointed out.  But in the end, I still think it is worth it for the enjoyment that I get out of it.

I have considered upgrading my analog rig with a better TT and phono preamp and have had a couple of higher end phono pre's to try out but I always come back to the fact that my rig as it is causes me to smile every time I play it.

I  feel for $800 to $1500 you can put together a great sounding rig.

G E

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2020, 11:45 pm »
I have gone the whole circle.

Vinyl in 1970’s early 80’s

CD early 1984. Wow! No ticks pops or off center records!  Listen to the Bass!

Late 1990’s SACD and DVD-A, including surround. Big step up from CD if competently mastered. And MCH experience pretty cool.

2010: Got old HK turntable out of mothballs for shits and giggles. Built Hagerman Bugle phono preamp (op amp based) and got bottom of the line Grado cart and played records.

It was a revelation. As good as digital can be, well done analog aces it.

I bought a Well Tempered Amadeus. A Grado Woodie cart. And I built Hagerman’s Cornet 2 tube phono. Oh my!   I now have Hagerman Trumpet Mullard and Amperex early 1950’s tubes and Grado’s Reference cart.

Digital has little play time in my system. Less than 5%.  There is a tonality and natural decay of notes played that digital doesn’t manage as well.

You can get a good taste of what’s possible with analog if you buy some older used pieces and carefully shop phono preamps under $1500 and possibly far less.

But things get really interesting when you can invest $8-10k in an analog front end.

I’ve heard very high end digital compared to very high end analog. To me there is no doubt I’d put my money in analog.  The tonality and the way analog plays the space around the notes do much better than digital....

Not everyone is tuned into tonality and frankly analog can be a real pain to dial in

But if you can hear it- and if you have patience for minutae ... give it a go

guf

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2020, 12:48 am »
I probably disagree with everyone here. IMO vinyl is just better. If you don't mind having an extra hobby that is finding it and cleaning it... Which I think there is pleasure and pain to it. That makes it that much more valuable. I enjoy going to record stores. When I travel I have something to do, stop by record stores.

Digital is ok. It cost an awful lot to make it good. Minor amounts of tweaking and proper setup can make a $100~ cartridge all you'll ever need. Sure you can spend more but you can get world class sound out of a cheap cart - but nothing after the turntable can be that cheap for great sound.

Also I listen to albums. Listening to single songs is torture that must be endured when testing something.
agree 100%

swisstrips

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2020, 12:14 pm »
@charmerci
No nothing I feel is missing from my dig rig.  Again, it was more of a "should I" experiment/try vinyl etc..  Updating some components in my DAC which is now 4-5 yrs "old" will cost thousands probably (or whatever I want to put into it) and thinking using that to get a starter vinyl rig instead. 

Short of just completely falling for vinyl and loving it more than dig, it would seem I would get it, use it for a bit on and off etc..  Probably would get more bang for my buck in bringing the DAC up to current - which even that is potentially questionable as its a fabulous DAC as is.  My dig is Optical Rendu > Lampi L7 > Atma-Shpere > Pass

Again I think it comes down to $.  There is no right or wrong answer here and all of the comments and perspectives are great and have really helped.

guf

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2020, 04:13 pm »
@charmerci
No nothing I feel is missing from my dig rig.  Again, it was more of a "should I" experiment/try vinyl etc..  Updating some components in my DAC which is now 4-5 yrs "old" will cost thousands probably (or whatever I want to put into it) and thinking using that to get a starter vinyl rig instead. 

Short of just completely falling for vinyl and loving it more than dig, it would seem I would get it, use it for a bit on and off etc..  Probably would get more bang for my buck in bringing the DAC up to current - which even that is potentially questionable as its a fabulous DAC as is.  My dig is Optical Rendu > Lampi L7 > Atma-Shpere > Pass

Again I think it comes down to $.  There is no right or wrong answer here and all of the comments and perspectives are great and have really helped.

when I brought my Big 7 up to current specs last year I was very very impressed. Also using the rendu and all the add ons, it was the best my system had sounded. Those few times I have plugged my Big 7 in I sit and listen with my jaw dropped with the clarity and detail..... and look at the 10s of thousands of dollars spent on the vinyl rig, why did I do this?!  I listen to half a song, then another single songs. skip to this, check that. use the remote volume.... ect back to old habits, its perfect sounding in those small bites.

your digital system is great and yes to get great sound to match your digital, i think you need to "go big or go home" to But i 100% think you should get a starter rig... it will be enough for you to get a taste of what you can accomplish with some effort.

swisstrips

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2020, 06:21 pm »
when I brought my Big 7 up to current specs last year I was very very impressed. Also using the rendu and all the add ons, it was the best my system had sounded. Those few times I have plugged my Big 7 in I sit and listen with my jaw dropped with the clarity and detail..... and look at the 10s of thousands of dollars spent on the vinyl rig, why did I do this?!  I listen to half a song, then another single songs. skip to this, check that. use the remote volume.... ect back to old habits, its perfect sounding in those small bites.

your digital system is great and yes to get great sound to match your digital, i think you need to "go big or go home" to But i 100% think you should get a starter rig... it will be enough for you to get a taste of what you can accomplish with some effort.

Great info, thank you. 

BTW, did you bring your B7 up to MKII spec?  That's where I am sort of headed or close to wanting to go

Rocket

« Reply #36 on: 30 Jun 2020, 12:37 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've got 4 turntables and I've just had my goldnote valore turntable setup and had an audio technica vm95ml cartridge installed.  It really rocks.  I generally buy new vinyl new and usually purchase remastered albums such as mobile fidelity vinyl.  I've got a pretty good digital rig which I don't really use much as most of my recordings were female jazz performers.  It did sound really good but its just not really my style of music.

I just bought a Mobile Fidelity recording of Bobby Darin's 'love swings' which was recorded in 1961.  It sounds very very good.  Have you thought about buying a vintage direct drive turntable such as a Denon dl1200 or thereabouts?  Properly setup it up it would sound great.  Until I bought the Denon direct drive turntable I was convinced that belt drive was superior as I was fed all of this from the UK hifi magazines from the 80's pushing rega turntables.

Anyway, great thread and best of luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #37 on: 10 Nov 2020, 12:47 pm »
Swiss, did you get into vinyl?

rbbert

« Reply #38 on: 10 Nov 2020, 01:00 pm »
Having spent plenty of time over the last 50 years with LP’s, R2R tapes (many machines including Tandberg, Revox, Sony and Technics), cassettes, DAT, CD and all subsequent digital disc formats, I can say for sure that they all sound different in some ways and the same in others.  The most revealing phenomenon I have come across is how close a hi-res digital (5.6 MHz DSD or 24/192 PCM) recording of an analog source can sound like that source in a direct comparison.  The second is how pleasing the sound can be of an LP made from a digital master, and/or how recording a digital master to R2R and back to digital can result in a similar pleasing sound (a not uncommon practice for mastering in some musical genres).

Bottom line?  All the formats available to us are “filters” through which we hear the music, none are much closer to the true sound than the others, we just have to choose which one(s) we prefer.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #39 on: 10 Nov 2020, 01:35 pm »
This is a great thread. It's been a few months since the OP started it and I'm wondering where he ended up.