Parasound vs. Krell for 2 channel

GoBlue1985

Parasound vs. Krell for 2 channel
« on: 22 Jun 2020, 07:30 am »
Hey there - primarily a HT guy here. lately I have been listening to much more music though. Six months ago, I bought JTR speakers and I love their sound/fullness for music. I have been running a Krell Chorus 5200 for 3 years. Love it, but recently added side surrounds. Grabbed a stereo D-Sonic to cover me...and tried it for my LR. I personally thought it felt a little thin/weaker, so I decided to switch back to the Krell for LR. So, I'm wondering if I should just keep it as is, or try to improve my 2 channel a bit. Would a Parasound A21+ sound "better" than the Krell? I have heard the Parasound has great control of bass response, and that many people love their sound. I heard one once w/ Martin Logans and loved it. I also wonder if having 5 channels in the same box isn't as effective. I thought about going Jc1 mono blocks, but I don't have the space. Sorry this was so Long winded, LOL. But to all you out there smarter than me - should I check out a Parasound or just stick w/ Krell? thanks!

Big Red Machine

Re: Parasound vs. Krell for 2 channel
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2020, 11:57 am »
They are different sounding amps, for sure. Do you have concerns the tone/characteristics may change if you mix amp brands? I'm not a fan of either brand myself, but they can put out enough to rock your world.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2020, 05:25 pm »
I was an A21 owner and I have heard the A21+.  The newer amp is an improvement from the A21 which was getting long in the tooth.
I have not heard the Krell but it cost almost 3x's the price of the A21+.  The new Parasound JC5 would be more on par with the Krell and the JC1 monoblocks.  You will have to listen to them yourself.  Personally, I am a Pass amp guy. 

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2020, 06:21 pm »
Did the D-Sonic really sound "weaker" or was the bass definition so tight and with zero bloat that there was less boom/smear.  I suspect that the best way to sort this question out is to try some deep note tracks that are known to have good definition and then listen to the Krell and D-Sonic for the actual tone and definition it is rendering vs the impact?

mojave

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2020, 08:53 pm »
I own some JTR Speakers (215RM's & 210RT's). They have a fairly low impedance dip in the bass region and need a high current amplifier for best results if ran full range. I use Cherry Amps for all my speakers. Tommy O'Brien, the amp designer, has a circle here at audiocircle. Unlike other amps that outsource their amplifier technology, he is the actually engineer of the entire amplifier. His amps are great for the JTR's since they have high current, high continuous power rated in RMS vs peak (like D-Sonic), and they are DC coupled. This means they are flat to 0 Hz and don't have any frequency rolloff or phase shift in the bass region. This produces louder, tighter bass.

digitalamp.com

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2020, 09:56 pm »
https://hometheaterreview.com/krell-chorus-5200-xd-five-channel-amplifier-reviewed/

Sound "better"?  :dunno:
Great control of bass? The reviewer above makes it seem like the Krell might be hard to beat.