Lets talk about cheap and cheerful cables and wires.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Lets talk about cheap and cheerful cables and wires.
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2020, 04:01 am »
I’m curious why you terminate them yourself rather than ordering them already terminated with your selected connectors?  :scratch:

Because it is  cheaper doing it this way. For a 12' terminated pair it is  $92pr vs diy for $49pr.  And I can reuse the cables and cut them to a shorter length if needed in the future.

And when I bought my Belden 10g from BJC's it was 1/2 the price per foot that it is now and the connectors were cheaper as well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2020, 11:49 am »
Hey this is awesome guys, lots of great information.  I'll respond to individual responses as time goes on.  But it does seem there is some interest in some blind tests being done on said cables.  The problem is, time and money to pull that off.  But if there is enough interest, I may take the time and put together something as scientific as I can.  But the problem would be budget.  It would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time to do a shootout of even a marginally sized shootout unless I can get manufacturers to loan me cables to use as part of said test.

Next to impossible to find any scientific wire comparisons.  Wonder why?  First you need to assemble a group of recognized golden ears.  Then you need to set up instant switching connected to a top of the line system (behind a visual screen).  Finally you'd need to fend off all the vendors of snake oil wire products.  That's why you haven't read any good comparisons. 

My little comparisons showed me that quality at the lower end can vary widely.   An informal comparison between two $1000/pair speaker cables showed a markedly difference mostly due to basic design differences (tiny gauge that can't handle bass versus extra beefy gauge that seemed to mask treble).  Frank Van Alstine loves to show off his latest speaker cable at shows, an old piece of 1.5 inch diameter rope. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2020, 01:35 pm »
Actually Stereophile had a big cable comparison some years ago with statistically significant results.  The type of test is one we're not allowed to discuss on this circle and the products were mostly not C&C and likely long out of production anyway, but they have been done.  I've seen a few internet blog comparisons, but can't remember much about them now.  The only one I could point to was JLM's USB comparison.

Saturn94

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2020, 02:35 pm »
Because it is  cheaper doing it this way. For a 12' terminated pair it is  $92pr vs diy for $49pr.  And I can reuse the cables and cut them to a shorter length if needed in the future.

And when I bought my Belden 10g from BJC's it was 1/2 the price per foot that it is now and the connectors were cheaper as well.

Ah.  :thumb:  That’s quite a price difference.

mcmusicman

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2020, 04:54 pm »
JLM brought up an interesting point that I've wondered about for a long time.  I can't locate the forum or the thread but basically one of the Bryston engineers confirmed they use a Van Damme wire in their manufacturing process that is not ultra high end. I've also seen that they sell the tour mic xlr as an interconnect. Again, nothing fancy.  I use BJC Belden 10 ga and I it seems to work very well. I guess people adjust lots of different things to color or change  sound and perhaps cables are a way of doing this?  My goal has been to make everything as transparent as possible so that the only changes I make are with my preamp tubes to affect sound.  I feel like I can purchase a wide variety of tubes for less than the cost of some of the super expensive cables.  I think I will order some of the van damme interconnects and give it a go since you guys started this discussion and have me thinking.  Not trying to hijack op, but if someone knows whether the BJC or Van Damme interconnect is most transparent please pass along.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2020, 07:59 pm by mcmusicman »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2020, 06:17 pm »
I will be happy to share results.  After an "audiophile" RCA interconnect failed recently decided to make my own.  When cut open shocking how small the center conductor, 26 or 28 gauge.  Will be using Cordial CMK222.  Two OFC Copper conductors with copper weave shield.  The two conductors will carry signal and return.  The shield will be terminated to return on one end of the cable. 
The only reasons for it being that large are mechanical! If it were smaller it would be fragile and break. But electrically it could be much smaller.
For those that remember series circuit Ohms Law it's:
output stage impedance + interconnect impedance + input stage impedance = total
so 200 Ohm + 1 Ohm + 10 000 Ohm = 10 201 Ohm
so no matter what size the central conductor is the total is still about 10 000 Ohms!

Now the shield is a different ballgame and the heavier the better.

patricksalter

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jun 2020, 06:20 pm »
Counter to the way I've reacted to this suggestion in years past (where I thought people suggesting ethernet cables as audio cables were out of their minds) I do think there could possibly be something to the idea of network cables being used in audio because of their shielding and rejection of noise because of their design, especially as you move up the levels From Cat 5, 5e, 6, etc.  With each new generation of CATx you can push more data down the cable because of the cables tighter twists, increased shielding, etc.  But, it also just sounds like using the wrong tool for the job.  However, that's just pure speculation on my part.  I happen to have spent the last 18 years as an IT professional and I spend a lot of time in data centers, building networks, and what not.  I do have a lot of different types of network cables laying around, although no Cat 7 or 8.  (FYI, there is no such thing as Cat6 telephone cable.  Telephone cable stopped at Cat3.  Anything beyond that is just networking cable, even though it can support phone lines as well.)

Simply because I have high quality network cables laying around here, I will take the time to get a pair wired up for testing.  It would only take a few minutes to get done, so I will report back my findings when I have some stuff . 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I will just address speaker cables.  A few months, the local audio club had a guy in town to demonstrate Iconoclast speaker cables.  It was done as an A-B comparison with Mogami speaker cables.  The associated equipment was top of the line.  Revel speakers.  The Iconoclast speaker cables did sound better.  They were expensive cables.  It is something of a mystery why it should make a difference because there were plenty of inductors in the signal path, and the signal must pass through all of that wire. 

I had no intention of paying the price for the Iconoclast cables.  I have my own experience with speaker cables over the years.  I read that a telephone cable could work well.  Until recently, I have been using Cat 6 telephone cable, and I had been satisfied with that.  After the show, I decided to try an experiment.  I prepared some cables using the Cat 6 wire.  I also bought some Cat 8 ethernet cable on Amazon.  That was 50 feet for about $25. 

I cut the Cat 8 into 4 equal lengths.  The way I do all of these cables is to strip the insulation and twist all of the small wires together in a bundle.  That gives a fairly fat wire.  I estimate that the Cat 6 telephone cable comes out to about 12 gauge and the Cat 8 ethernet to about 14 gauge. 

I contacted my host for the Iconoclast demonstration and asked if I could come over and do a comparison.  He agreed.  He had the Iconoclast cables.  I think that our evaluation was similar.  He thought that my Cat 6 cables were about equivalent to the Mogami.  The Cat 8 cables played in the same ballpark as the Iconoclast.  The sonic signature was a little different.  I thought that the Iconoclast had a bit fuller and richer sound and Cat 8 had better rhythm and pace. 

Some Cat 6 telephone cable is copper-plated aluminum.  Don't get that.  Get solid copper.  I'd just order some Cat 8 ethernet cable from Amazon or wherever and cut it up.  You can get 4 12.5 foot cables out of one 50 foot ethernet cable.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #27 on: 15 Jun 2020, 06:28 pm »
On Cat cable speaker cables. Look for old Cat3 or Cat5 cable. The price is often low or free and there is nothing to be gained with higher Cat numbers.
So with 24AWG Cat3 or Cat5.
4 cables will have 16 high and 16 low conductors. equal to a 12AEG conductor.
connect all the solids to one terminal and all the stripes to the other.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jun 2020, 06:30 pm »
Some pro audio people are now using unshielded or shielded Cat5e or 6, for long balanced interconnect cables.

patricksalter

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jun 2020, 09:06 pm »
That thought had crossed my mind.   Any AC members here willing to loan cables for some tests? 

You could ask AC members to send you/let you borrow inexpensive IC's for the test.

patricksalter

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jun 2020, 09:08 pm »
You are not hijacking at all.  Thanks for chiming in. 

JLM brought up an interesting point that I've wondered about for a long time.  I can't locate the forum or the thread but basically one of the Bryston engineers confirmed they use a Van Damme wire in their manufacturing process that is not ultra high end. I've also seen that they sell the tour mic xlr as an interconnect. Again, nothing fancy.  I use BJC Belden 10 ga and I it seems to work very well. I guess people adjust lots of different things to color or change  sound and perhaps cables are a way of doing this?  My goal has been to make everything as transparent as possible so that the only changes I make are with my preamp tubes to affect sound.  I feel like I can purchase a wide variety of tubes for less than the cost of some of the super expensive cables.  I think I will order some of the van damme interconnects and give it a go since you guys started this discussion and have me thinking.  Not trying to hijack op, but if someone knows whether the BJC or Van Damme interconnect is most transparent please pass along.  Thank you.

Escott1377

« Reply #31 on: 15 Jun 2020, 10:56 pm »
I am not trying to flame the fires of a cable war so please do not consider me doing so.  I actually watched this last night and thought it was worth a few minutes of my time.  Again, I do a lot of DIY for fun as I explained in a prior post.

https://youtu.be/7YIGLnbc12I

rooze

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jun 2020, 12:01 am »
Not really cheap but whatever happened to Robert Schult at Ridge Street Audio Designs?? He had a good gig going with his flat silver cables, then disappeared? I'm surprised no one took over from where he left off. Anyone know his whereabouts? I'd love to get in touch and say hello.

patricksalter

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2020, 12:01 am »
If you compare the standards between Cat 3, Cat5, 5E, 6, etc, each was designed with the idea that they have to reject interference from the other wires in the cable and outside sources.  As the spec is revised, they increase the density of twists, add more shielding allowing higher data rates down the cable, etc.  Cat 3 has the twists every few inches, where cat 5 is like multiples in an inch.  Cat 6 takes that even further. Since those techniques are designed for EFI rejection, I can't see the benefit of Cat3 over Cat 5 or later (Cat 4 is a non starter).  I would make the assumption that if network cables make good speaker wire (and I will state for the record, I have my doubt), Cat 3 would likely be the worst of the options out there.  Again, i'm not even convinced that network cables would make good speaker wires, but the logic to me is that with each version of cables being better and better for rejecting interference it would stand to reason that those newer specced cables (Cat 5, 6, 7, etc) would be better for that application.  But, I am keeping an open mind, and will do my own comparisons. 

But if I do that, I feel obliged to try out the good ol coat hanger routine, which I fully expect to sound the worst of any given wires out there. 

On Cat cable speaker cables. Look for old Cat3 or Cat5 cable. The price is often low or free and there is nothing to be gained with higher Cat numbers.
So with 24AWG Cat3 or Cat5.
4 cables will have 16 high and 16 low conductors. equal to a 12AEG conductor.
connect all the solids to one terminal and all the stripes to the other.

Doublej

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2020, 12:33 am »
If you compare the standards between Cat 3, Cat5, 5E, 6, etc, each was designed with the idea that they have to reject interference from the other wires in the cable and outside sources.  As the spec is revised, they increase the density of twists, add more shielding allowing higher data rates down the cable, etc.  Cat 3 has the twists every few inches, where cat 5 is like multiples in an inch.  Cat 6 takes that even further. Since those techniques are designed for EFI rejection, I can't see the benefit of Cat3 over Cat 5 or later (Cat 4 is a non starter).  I would make the assumption that if network cables make good speaker wire (and I will state for the record, I have my doubt), Cat 3 would likely be the worst of the options out there.  Again, i'm not even convinced that network cables would make good speaker wires, but the logic to me is that with each version of cables being better and better for rejecting interference it would stand to reason that those newer specced cables (Cat 5, 6, 7, etc) would be better for that application.  But, I am keeping an open mind, and will do my own comparisons. 

But if I do that, I feel obliged to try out the good ol coat hanger routine, which I fully expect to sound the worst of any given wires out there.

And your opinion about network cables not making good speaker wires is based on which facts?

charmerci

« Reply #35 on: 16 Jun 2020, 01:13 am »
That thought had crossed my mind.   Any AC members here willing to loan cables for some tests?

Well, if it's one thing that I can afford, it's to have some unused, inexpensive, "audiophile" IC's lying around doing nothing. I'm in.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #36 on: 9 Jul 2020, 04:57 pm »
A quick note about the thread being sent to Quarentine and a great deal of it being deleted.  I'll simply quote the guidelines from the circle founder.

"- no brand cables in this circle except DIY. We can make some exception for true basement bargains tho."

Therefore any debate about expensive or even modestly priced cables is silly.  Please continue with any recommendations with the thought that anything over $50 is suspect.  Remember we only have $1,000 to work with for the whole system.

I would think the place for bargains would be the ChiFi market, but I can't make heads or tails of the exorbatant claims there.

hifitommy

Re: Lets talk about $100 cables and wires.
« Reply #37 on: 14 Jul 2020, 06:33 pm »
i too arrived at the $100 limit and won't spend more either.  i was fortunate enough to win a pair of Acoustic Zen Silver interconnects at an LA/OCAS raffle that are truly superior.  they live between my arc SP3A1 pre and ADCOM 555II where they can do the most good.  otherwise, i have Audioquest Rubys, aq Cobalt, and some used premium cables gotten long ago. 

th aq Type 4 speaker cables (now $120 for a 10' pair) were Gratis with the ADCOM pre and power amp purchase.  they replaced Monster twin-lead and at first, i was non-plussed but after a week i realized they didn't have the overhang muddiness of the Monster and allowed me to hear deeper bass than before.  nice clear imaging and top-end too.

in that my power cables are all captive except for my oppo disc player, i haven't had the chance to mess with deluxe power cables. 

Texbychoice

« Reply #38 on: 20 Jul 2020, 04:08 pm »
Promised a report on DIY RCA interconnects cables.  DIY cables in place from pre amp to sub woofer amp, sub woofer amp to main amp, and CD to pre amp. 
Each DIY cable approx $.13 per pair.  Most of the cost in REAN RCA connectors at $2.50 each.

Those cables replaced three $50 each brand name claimed high quality interconnects.  So, if more costly cables live up to performance claims would my cheap DIY cables sound worse?  Definitely NOT.  Improved detail noted using specific test tracks for before and after comparison that included several cycles of old and DIY swap.  No complaints with the before sound and the after is not knock you socks off better.  But, it is different.

Expectation bias, yes.  Expected the more expensive cables to perform better.  Objective analysis, absolutely.  My musically trained ears know what they hear.  If you are so inclined, try the DIY experiment.  Also free to spend mega bucks if it makes you happy.  HiFi is a very personal hobby, so do what makes you happy. 

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
« Reply #39 on: 20 Jul 2020, 07:43 pm »
I bought a 60 foot remnant of Monoprice Access Series 12AWG CL2 4-conductor speaker wire for $36 on fleabay.  I pulled some black tech flex over it to make it look nice, and bingo...game on! 

The only measurements I took were with a tape measure, and my 60' roll was a few feet short!  It still yielded a couple of nice 28' runs for a grand total of $45.  Subjectively, I think they made an easily audible improvement over the junk CCA that got replaced.  Shortly after upgrading the wire, just about every part of my system except the speakers got an overhaul, so I've since lost any point of reference to the old wire, but the whole system has never sounded better to me, so I'm guessing the cheap wire is doing just fine.